What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

elyod138

Bench
^ That picture isn't Cavill in costume, it's just him wearing a Superman shirt.

He's a better actor than Brandon Routh, he should do a good job.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Since when do the actors have to match the image in the comics exactly?

Anyone think Anne Hathaway is the ultimate Selina Kyle?

Everyone whinged about Jackman as Wolvie because of his height but he is pretty much universally praised for the role now.

Acting ability is far more important than looks

Superman should not have a widows peak, nor a jewfro.

I swear despite how awesome Batman Begins and Dark Knight were, I'm starting to wonder if they were worth the absolute tsunami of "edgy" comic reboot abortions that we are being hit with now

Tbh most of them have been quite good and even Thor was surprisingly good. I'll probably miss Green Lantern, Captain America and definitely Superman. Most of Marvel sucks badly, ditto DC.

nöyd

Staff member
love em or hate em, this is the thread for em

my quick personal thoughts on a select few:

The 70's Superman - great

Superman 2 - good

Superman 3 - Richard Pryor?

Superman 4 - honestly dont remember much of it - was it the one with another guy from Krypton?

Superman Returns - Ian Roberts :lol: Gene Hackman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kevin Spacey

Tim Burtons Batman - excellent

Batman Returns - slow but watchable

Batman Forever (Schumacher) - rumour has it that Val Kilmer wanted out after a few days filming because he saw how shitty it would be, Warner Bros. held him to his contract - poor bastard

Batman and Robin - please stop

Batman Begins - fantastic

The Dark Knight - supreme

Spider-Man - yeah fine, entertaining

Spider-Man 2 - Alfred Molina you were great in Boogie Nights so I'll forgive this little c**k up

Spider-Man 3 - please stop

Iron Man - they could film Robert Downey Jr taking a shit and I would watch it

Iron Man 2 - I think I just saw RD Jr taking a shit

I realise there are thousands more but Im at work on my iPhone so cut me some slack

There's an animated film adaption of Batman: Year One coming out in October, hell yeah! It'll be direct-to-dvd/blu ray
Trailer: http://youtu.be/xdMtMU91u0U

Trailer released for Batman: Year One animated film Posted on Jul 11th 2011 by CB Droege

One of the greatest superhero graphic novels of all time will receive its animated adaptation soon.
There hasn’t been a lot of news about this film since an initial announcement a few months back, but it seems progress has been swift, and the movie will be ready to go in time for its long-awaited premier at Comic-Con in SanDiego in a couple of weeks.

Batman: Year One is probably one of the most influential graphic novels of our time, and is likely a major catalyst for a lot that has been going on in the comic world over the last few years.
Of course the novel had its own causes and influences - it wouldn’t have been possible without the success of Watchmen (published only a year before), which itself wouldn’t have worked without its own storied influences.
Still, this is the book which sparked the modern resurgence of interest in Batman - though a little delayed, and through Batman, interest in all superhero properties.
Batman Begins, the first of the modern DC Comics films, was based partly on the novel, by which I mean it followed the tones and themes of the book, if not the actual specific events.
Similar to Superman’s Birthright, this book covers the new canon version of the Batman origin story from the death of his parents through his first fights with criminals on the street, ending with the discovery of The Joker, and the ironic hope that costumed villains do not become a thing.
The film will also include a new short animated story featuring Catwoman, though she’s not a character in Year One.
Batman: Year One will premier at Comic-Con on July 22nd.
LINK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preacher, the best comic of the last 15 years, is confirmed to being made after being confirmed/dropped/confirmed/dropped for years and it's already been f**ked up by having DJ Caruso as director and if Shia LaBeouf has any role in that film somebody is going to get hurt.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1316546/

DJ Caruso Signed To Direct Preacher FilmDifficult-to-film comic brings I Am Number Four auteur on board. By Matt Rorie | Feb. 22, 2011

423667-preacher11_super.jpg
Dismemberment, the KKK, sinister grins: all in a day's work for Jesse Custer.

I confess to really liking Preacher, even though I have limited appreciation for a lot of Garth Ennis' other work. Preacher felt like it had important things it wanted to say about what it meant to be a man in a world stripped of a lot of traditional masculine roles, whereas a lot of Ennis' other books feels a bit puerile just for the sake of being juvenile. That said, Preacher is right up there in consideration as one of the best comic series of the 1990's, and it's been long rumored for a screen adaptation. Kevin Smith was in discussions to produce a film adaptation, and HBO was interested in running a miniseries based on the comic, but all of the previous projects have fallen apart, probably mostly due to the realization of the people who would be spending millions of dollars of just how controversial the material may be.

If you're not familiar with Preacher's storyline, it follows young Jesse Custer, who's imbued with the power of the offspring of a demon and an angel and effectively makes it his mission to find God, who's hiding out on Earth, and take him to task for the failings of his creation. Along the way, he befriends a vampire, shacks up with his ex-girlfriend, regularly interfaces with the ghost of John Wayne, turns a man's head into a crude penis with a knife, and kills a whole lot of people who definitely have it coming.

Now it looks like the long-gestating project might actually be gaining some momentum in its final (?) push towards the big screen, with DJ Caruso tweeting that his "deal just closed" to direct a film. The Preacher storyline is far too long to be condensed into a single film, so it'll be curious to see what tack they take in adapting the material. Also of concern is the generally filthy tone of the books, with gruesome injuries and sacrilege abounding. There's no way to pull it off faithfully with a PG-13 rating, really, and Watchmen's relative lack of success has made big-budget, R-rated comic adaptations less likely to get greenlit. We'll probably be hearing more about this project over the course of the year, but with the director of I Am Number Four, Eagle Eye, and Disturbia on board, here's hoping this doesn't wind up being a Shia LeBeouf vehicle. ( Timothy Olyphant, what have you got going on this fall?)
LINK

Anything less than a hardcore R rating and it won't be worth watching and I can this being f**ked up big time, the HBO miniseries idea was the right way to go.

Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn is released in October in Europe and it looks fking amazing
http://youtu.be/xz3j8gKRUTg

As a huge Tintin fan I'm worried about them adding unnecessary crap to stretch it out in to a feature film considering that Red Rackham's Treasure will be the sequel film, it looks awesome though.

100 Bullets will be made in to a TV series
'100 Bullets' To Become Showtime TV Series

Posted 6/21/11 12:31 pm ET by Danica Davidson in DC Comics, News

070709_100bullets.jpg
The comic book series “100 Bullets” may have ended its ten-year run in 2009, but it could have new life in the form of a television series.
Deadline is reporting that David S. Goyer will write and executive produce the series for Showtime. Warner Brothers TV will also be producing.
Brian Azzarello, who wrote the "100 Bullets" comic book series, previously alluded to a possible cable television adaptation when speaking to MTV News in 2009, saying, “Television -- there's an idea! That's all I'll say. Television... or maybe something that's not just TV."
Two years later, we’re closer to seeing that become a reality.
To say Goyer has worked with comic book adaptations before is putting it lightly. In the world of Batman, he co-wrote “Batman Begins,” and co-wrote the story of “The Dark Knight” and “The Dark Knight Rises.” Turning to Superman, he wrote the story and screenplay for the yet-to-be-released “Man of Steel” reboot of the film franchise. In addition to this, he wrote all three “Blade” movies and helmed the third one as director.
Now he has his eye on the gritty “100 Bullets,” in which people are given a gun and 100 untraceable bullets so they can kill someone who wronged them, if they so choose.
LINK

I can't say I'm excited because that comic just bored the crap out of me but I'll give it another go.

Batman: Forever and Batman & Robin just do not exist to me save for Jim Carey's performance as The Riddler which was actually very good and great nod to Frank Gorshin.

Tim Burton had a Nolan-esque series planned but Warner Bros came in and scrapped it all in favour of whoring out the franchises for $$. Billy Dee Williams was supposed to have greater screen time in the third and that was going to see him become Two Face in much greater depth than a god damn news reel :x

One day I would love to see Gotham Central get made in to a tv series/film because you would be able to get away with a lot of things Nolan doesn't really want to touch on in his Batman series (Mr Freeze for example) and also because it is from the police of Gotham's point of view it becomes very police prodeural which seems to really be popular these last few years.

Nolan wants to go down the "believable route" (LOL Ra's al Ghul) but Mr Freeze definitely deserves his own makeover after the abortion of Arnold Schwarzenegger. The problem with Gotham Central would be The Joker in book 2, unless only the first one was made.

Also, with this whole reboot thing in full swing I believe two characters that desperately need a make over are The Punisher and The Swamp Thing. Both suffered tremendously through outrageously film adaptions (The Punisher wasn't entirely bad, deserved better though)

nöyd

Staff member
i believe i may be in the minority but thought the 2004 Punisher was pretty good (Thomas Jane & John Travolta), Warzone was loaded with violence which made it cool in it's own right. I have Dolph Lundgren's Punisher here but I'd have to watch it again as it's been a long long while...

Does anyone else think that Val Kilmer was a potentially great Batman in the wrong film? Would have loved to see him in Burton's...

The Punisher was alright, it's tolerable to good but War Zone was total trash to me. I also hate that War Zone was made as a "sequel" with absolutely no connection to The Punisher, it was too much of Batman Returns - Batman Forever for me.

edabomb

First Grade
Punisher was pretty good. What about The Crow?

Was psyched when I saw that Year One link Tonearm posted. Trailer looks average to me though, to do Year One justice it really has to be an adult feature to me. It's like how they made PG True Blood comics :lol: The medium doesn't suit the material.

I thought the film The Crow was pretty boring tbh and I've never seen the sequels or read the comics.

As for Year One, PG-13 in the US is our M rating isn't it? I think it will turn out alright.

Sin City 2 has a script!

While director Robert Rodriguez was making the publicity rounds for his newest film, Spy Kids: All The Time In The World 4D, he dropped a quick update on two other films that he’s currently working on, Machete 2 and Sin City 2. We spoke to Rodriguez this weekend and asked what the status on both of the sequels was. He told us the following:
“Sin City 2 is going good, we’re just finishing the script for that, we already got the money. We have everything we need so we can just start shooting as soon as we get the pages. And it’s the same thing for Machete 2. We’ve already got the budget, just waiting for the script. As soon as we’re finished writing we get start the shoot.”
It’s not much to go on but at least we know that everything is in place, but the script. While I personally don’t care much for Machete 2, I’m quite eager to see a second Sin City. I loved the first one and the wait for the sequel has been far too long.
Now although he said that they’re only waiting on the scripts, the director has his plate full with a ton of upcoming projects that require his attention. Who knows when he’ll actually get around to shooting Machete 2 and Sin City 2. Plus, which one will shoot first?
Truthfully, I think fans are going to have to wait a couple more years before they get a chance to see either film. Rodriguez is a busy man and although he says that they’re just about ready to shoot, I don’t see either film hitting theatres anytime soon.
LINK

The link says that Rodriguez has a lot of future projects, what else is he doing besides the next Spy Kids? I can't find much on confirmed projects and IMDB just says Spy Kids under director, producer and wirter.

I would love for Rodriguez to allow a Machete comic series that would be awesome.

runatme

Bench
I am still on the fence about it
Cavill will do a good job just hope they move away from past films give us something different no more luthor for a while

Nevan_

First Grade
We need less generic superhero movies and more Watchmen and The History of Violence type adaptations.

Latest posts