What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

Frederick

Staff member
Serious??

It would be all cams at the moment wouldn't it??

Watching cams just ruins it for me...

A telecine was uploaded today. Same Chinese uploader that got a good copy of Civil War up early

It's only 720p, but still very good quality

Misanthrope

Staff member
Maybe it's because people have been rubbishing it, but just got back from X-Men: Apocalypse and enjoyed it fine.

It wasn't as good as First Class or Days of Future Past and did feel a little rushed, but was still an enjoyable enough film.

It says a lot about the standard of film we've come to expect comic book movies that some are saying it was awful. Nothing I'd watch a second time, but certainly not as bad as Last Stand, either of the Fantastic Four abortions, or any of the recent Superman efforts.

bileduct

Coach
It says a lot about the standard of film we've come to expect comic book movies that some are saying it was awful.
Not really. DC and Marvel geniuss have been going at it for ages when it comes to movie reviews. Of course this includes the MCU Marvel geniuss who think their shit don't stink.

Game_Breaker

Coach
They could've chosen a better poster to promote the movie, but he attacks everyone. His name is Apocalypse and he wants to destroy the world, that's ok, but don't you dare hit a women?

EDIT: I remember how Rose McGowan's character got murdered in scream, if only she died in a more PC way

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
This isn't the first time she's taken a stab at comic book movies, she apparently quit acting because of them according to her.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/nov/26/rose-mcgowan-quit-acting-boring-superhero-movies-carol

I think she needs to f**king stop going to see what are essentially kids movies and expecting them to be Shakespeare.

By the way, don't bother clicking on the link in that article to watch McGowan's debut music video. It's truly f**king awful. I don't think she has a right to accuse anyone of average film making after that pile of shit.

Parra Pride

Coach
Shame on Apocalypse, how dare he try and destroy the world, doesn't he know women live there? Sexist, misogynist piece of shit.

Frederick

Staff member
A telecine was uploaded today. Same Chinese uploader that got a good copy of Civil War up early

It's only 720p, but still very good quality

Following from this, a 1080p version was released yesterday.

Also I watched this a couple of nights ago. Seems like it's suffered from the trilogy curse, where the third movie is the worst of the lot. I liked parts of it, but overall it didn't capture me like DOFP did.

The quicksilver scene bored me. I liked it in DOFP, but with this movie it seems they just said "hey, that worked well, lets do exactly the same thing, but make it twice as long".

I liked the new Jean Gray, Cyclops and Nightcrawler, but Angel, Psylocke and Storm were completely wasted and reduced to bit parts (Angel especially).

It seems to have a lot of the problems that The Last Stand had, which doesn't surprise me at all since Simon Kinberg was the writer for both of them

Noa

First Grade
Apart from Singer f**king up the X-Men continuity that was set up for him by Mathew Vaughn, the problem with X-men, imo, is 16 years after the first movie we're still dealing with the same main characters.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Apart from Singer f**king up the X-Men continuity that was set up for him by Mathew Vaughn, the problem with X-men, imo, is 16 years after the first movie we're still dealing with the same main characters.

True, but I could easily sit through another 10 years of Jackman as Wolverine.

Nobody in the X-verse has really got me to enjoy the character as much as him (though Reynolds as Deadpool could be that new guy), and I really enjoyed seeing him in Apocalypse again.

Game_Breaker

Coach

Fassbender as Magneto does a pretty good job, but apparently all is forgiven after the millions of people he killed in Apocalypse because he's rebuilding Xaviars school.

bileduct

Coach
Huh? Singer's been involved in all of the main title movies except for Last Stand. He's got storyline and concept credits for all of them.

As for the characters, I think Magneto and Mystique need to take a step back but the teams themselves have had a fairly good variety of the core characters themselves.

The next movie looks like it's setting up Mister Sinister as the main villain and there's some immediately obvious avenues for introducing new characters. Mister Sinister essentially is the "creator" of Cable. Some X-Force characters have already been introduced like Deadpool and Bishop but there's also a few people we haven't seen yet like Cannonball, Domino, Shatterstar, Moonstar and more. An X-Force movie could have a more darker tone to the established franchise, perhaps even in the MA/R rated space given the content of the original comic series.

Other than that I'm not sure there are a lot of characters left that haven't already been introduced in some way already. Longshot, Dazzler, Forge, Legion and Magik are the only real notable ones.

I'm fully anticipating that when Hugh Jackman hangs up the Wolverine boots the character will be replaced by X 23.

McNulty

Juniors
Tried watching Apocalypse. Switched it off after a hour or so. Got bored. Will finish it another day

shiznit

Coach
Hey just a heads up... The BvS extended edition was released digitally in the US a couple of hours ago...

Last edited by a moderator:

LatK7

First Grade
Hey just a heads up... The BvS extended edition was released digitally in the US a couple of hours ago...

It's much, much better than the theatrical cut. A real shame it wasn't the version released in cinemas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Just watched the extended BvS cut

Massive improvement, especially to the first act. Character motivations and key plot points are more fleshed out