What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The curious case of Michael Witt

hazzbeen

Bench
For fuxake Williams is a genuine no 7 put him back in there & don't shackle him let him run his side of the ruck & Widdop run his side.I know its a wild comparison but I'm sure the Thurstons,Cronks, DCEs,Langers,Mortimers,Sterlings & every other great halves have never been told how to play & never try anything not within the structure.Let Williams grow into the role & give hime free reign to play whats in front of him.I'm pretty certain the afore mentioned greats made some bad decisions & mistakes before they discovered their strengths & limitations.

Finally someone who knows what he is talking about.......

GT0007

Juniors
I wouldn't mind seeing Williams in the 7 and Witt on the bench. Witt can cover for Rein once he's spent and if Williams has a shocker there's a backup in Witt.

While no saviour I think Witt's a solid player.

While Rein is playing 80mins we won't have a utility on the bench. My feeling is Williams will get another shot at 7 especially if our kicking game doesn't improve dramatically but having said that Williams long kicking game wasnt spectacular although anything would be an improvement on last week.

GT0007

Juniors
Hi Cobra,

Good post mate,

I dont think we can afford to let players learn their trade in First Grade.
We demand success and this would guarantee the opposite.
If he plays to his potential he'll get selected.
Good players dont get held back on a whim.
Except what just happened to JWH!!

Balls in his court, he must demand selection.

100% correct and that goes for anyone in NSW Cup. If they are not stand outs in NSW Cup how can you expect them to be successful in NRL? I think Price has preferences in a few positions but they are not set in stone and its up to the individual to demand selection week in and week out. You dont just drop someone, you need to have a better altenative as a replacement

BennyV

Referee
While Rein is playing 80mins we won't have a utility on the bench. My feeling is Williams will get another shot at 7 especially if our kicking game doesn't improve dramatically but having said that Williams long kicking game wasnt spectacular although anything would be an improvement on last week.

Rein playing 80 mins is an issue in itself, I don't think he is all that effective while playing 80 and having a utility off the bench would benefit him, as well as adding spark to the team.

Would also help if the defensive line kept up with him and moved up, rather than letting him make first contact every time.

IMO Garvey is a better player, albeit a bigger tool! Could also look at Witt or even Quinlan as bench utility.

GT0007

Juniors
Rein playing 80 mins is an issue in itself, I don't think he is all that effective while playing 80 and having a utility off the bench would benefit him, as well as adding spark to the team.

Would also help if the defensive line kept up with him and moved up, rather than letting him make first contact every time.

IMO Garvey is a better player, albeit a bigger tool! Could also look at Witt or even Quinlan as bench utility.

lol I'm going to say it again.....When we get control of the ruck we will have many more options and 1 may be playing a utility instead of 4 forwards. We would then have better line speed and take the heat off Rein so maybe his 80mins would also be more effective although this is new to him and the 80mins should become easier with time. I cant compare Garvey as I havent seen him play 80mins in the NRL week in and week out, some players can look great in the lower grades and struggle to step up. That being said I do like what I see from Garvey and I did think he was a level above NSW Cup. I think Witt is a solid player but I'm not sold on him as our 7 yet and the next few weeks should clarify,I cant blame him when we get flogged and are back pedaling or any 7. I'm a big fan of Quinlan but as a 7 not a 1, I hope he gets an opportunity to develop his game at some point as those sorts of players keep turning chances into tries and every team needs them. I'm leaning towards Williams as half but you cant change every 2nd week and I dont think Witt was the cause of the defeat but our long and short kicking game didnt do us any favours and were not of NRL standard from both Witt and Widdop

jenninga

First Grade
I wouldn't mind seeing Williams in the 7 and Witt on the bench. Witt can cover for Rein once he's spent and if Williams has a shocker there's a backup in Witt.

While no saviour I think Witt's a solid player.

This is what sh*ts me about Laurie Daley picking players in case this or that happens.Why Gidley keeps getting picked instead of someone who deserves the spot.
Too much theory.

GT0007

Juniors
This is what sh*ts me about Laurie Daley picking players in case this or that happens.Why Gidley keeps getting picked instead of someone who deserves the spot.
Too much theory.

I agree on that one. I'm pretty torn when it comes to rep selections between what is best for the team or the entitlement of a player who deserves to be picked purely on form. We all know the SOO is a different beast and there are few weaknesses to exploit (Merrit being the exception) in defense which some players prey on in the NRL so they are not as effective at rep level but I do feel extremely sorry for players who have earned the right to be selected and miss out because of club combinations or incumbents. Unfortunately winning is a particuarly high priority right now which means the player that deserves to be picked may not be. I'd love to win the series this year to stop the rot and then both NSW & QLD have 1 year that they pick the teams based purely on current form

The Cobra

Juniors
Finally someone who knows what he is talking about.......

100% correct and that goes for anyone in NSW Cup. If they are not stand outs in NSW Cup how can you expect them to be successful in NRL? I think Price has preferences in a few positions but they are not set in stone and its up to the individual to demand selection week in and week out. You dont just drop someone, you need to have a better altenative as a replacement

I take your point BUT this bloke has proven,given a fair go, he can play.He was MOM for Canberra in a semi- final not that long ago & is still only 23?.After that he was supposedly behind McCrone,Cornish & the worlds biggest halfback,Campese.Now you tell me which of the afore mentioned are setting the world on fire in his place, abso f**kn lutely none of them.I still think given the opportunity Sam Williams WILL be our solution at halfback.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Witt is crap...and always has been.
Sam Williams is average.

Really rate the dragons side...but I think you lack a bit of spark from either hooker/half.

If you can get benji for 2014/2015 - Dragons become a genuine NRL contender.

I honestly think that where he will endup.
Storm cant offer him enough, Dragons still offer a genuine chance to do well meaning he will sign for a fair value.

Harrison is off contract at the end of this year and good riddances if he is moved on totally useless selection no where near the player he once was.

How this guy as well as Hunt keep getting selected and some one like Ah Mau who has shown more gets dropped to the Cutters and Mathews who just never seems to get a decent go shows Price really is a horrible coach.

On Witt he should have been a stop gap singing nothing more yet again Price playing favourities with his selections Williams has been screwed over by a shit house Coach.

Harrison is off contract at the end of this year and good riddances if he is moved on totally useless selection no where near the player he once was.

How this guy as well as Hunt keep getting selected and some one like Ah Mau who has shown more gets dropped to the Cutters and Mathews who just never seems to get a decent go shows Price really is a horrible coach.

On Witt he should have been a stop gap singing nothing more yet again Price playing favourities with his selections Williams has been screwed over by a shit house Coach.

They are selling via bids the Jumpers worn by the team on Anzac Day.
I'm thinking of bidding for Harrisons or Hunts as they will be spotlessly clean.