What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dark Knight - Is this the turning of the Tide

oldman

Juniors
Reynoldson reneged on Storm

By Stuart Honeysett and Brent Read
August 27, 2007
KIRK Reynoldson might be taking the high moral ground over his contract dispute with Newcastle, but three years ago he walked out on Melbourne after agreeing to terms with the club.
The Australian has learned that Reynoldson agreed in principle to a three-year contract to stay with Storm in 2004 before reneging on the deal the following day after an improved offer from the Knights.

The Newcastle back rower is at war with the Knights over coach Brian Smith's failure to select him for first grade so he can activate a $196,500 contract for 2008.

Melbourne insiders yesterday revealed details of the negotiations that took place between its then interim chief executive and current Storm director Frank Stanton and Reynoldson's manager Les Ross.

Reynoldson played for Storm from 2002-2004 and it is known coach Craig Bellamy had a big influence in turning around his work ethic. Given the time that had been invested in him, the club was keen for him to stay beyond 2004 and Ross is understood to have agreed to a three-year deal presented to him by Stanton.

However, the next day Ross told the Melbourne boss that Newcastle had increased its offer and he was interested to know if the Storm would match it. Already feeling they had reached an agreement, Stanton declined and the way negotiations were conducted have left a bitter taste in the mouths of some Melbourne officials.

While he would not comment on the specifics, Stanton conceded he believed a deal had been done.

"We thought we had a deal but then he came back and said he had a bigger offer from Newcastle," Stanton said. "We weren't keen to release him and the coaching staff wanted him. There's always time to mull things over, but we were confident of keeping him."

When offered the chance to give his side of the story yesterday, Ross declined.

Reynoldson has become the face of Smith's player cleanout at Newcastle and has been regularly quoted saying he is desperate to resolve the situation so he can fulfil the final year of his contract.

However, The Weekend Australian reported that Reynoldson has baulked at three offers to try to settle the matter despite telling Knights chief executive Steve Burraston at a meeting less than a fortnight ago he wanted to leave the club.

The 28-year-old has also taken legal action, with solicitors serving a letter on the club calling for his contract to be honoured.

The ugly mess has taken its toll on the club and it now looks certain to collect the wooden spoon after Penrith upset Sydney Roosters on Saturday night.

The Knights need to beat Wests Tigers on Friday night and hope that St George-Illawarra and Penrith stay winless in their remaining games to avoid finishing last.

There was more drama yesterday with reports John Singleton and former professional golfer Jack Newton had called for a meeting today of prominent Newcastle businessman to oust Smith from his job.

Both have an axe to grind against the Knights coach after Singleton claimed the player cleanout had cost him $2 million in advertising, while Newton's son, Clint, was one of the players unwanted by Smith for 2008.

Ross has become a pivotal player in the saga and is expected to fly to Newcastle this week as negotiations continue between the parties.

The father of former Newcastle and Melbourne fullback Robbie Ross, Les prefers to be known as a business mentor.

His ability to negotiate on behalf of his clients, among them dual international Wendell Sailor, could hinge on a player vote over the collective bargaining agreement.

Under the terms of the proposed agreement, clubs would be barred from negotiating with managers not accredited under the NRL's player agent scheme.

Paul Osborne, the head of the player agent accreditation scheme, said the body would consider Ross's application should he apply.

"We're happy to consider his application but first of all Les has to decide whether he's a business mentor, financial adviser or player manager," Osborne said.

voltron

Juniors
i always preferred The Australian for sport news
there isnt that much, but they seem to have less of an agenda in it.

well it does seem to show and highlight Kirk's greediness in the whole affair

otori

Juniors
Yeah I just read that before. Good to see everyone now knows he just wants money, nothing else. FFS the other day when his wife came out and said that they were going to struggle now to survive. He earned 600K in three years. If they haven't been planning for the future then they're freakin stupid.

Alex28

Coach
How very interesting...

I didn't think something like this would have come from Murdoch press!

Spitty

Juniors
I can't believe we upped our offer to Reynoldson to leave Melbourne. What were we thinking.

otori

Juniors
Lol speaking of the Dark Knight, I'm pretty excited about the next Batman movie.:crazy:

Knight87

Juniors
otori said:
Yeah I just read that before. Good to see everyone now knows he just wants money, nothing else. FFS the other day when his wife came out and said that they were going to struggle now to survive. He earned 600K in three years. If they haven't been planning for the future then they're freakin stupid.

Um, Otori, make that 720k in three years (as he was on 240k/year).

Knight87

Juniors
Alex28 said:
How very interesting...

I didn't think something like this would have come from Murdoch press!

HAHAHHAHA! I was just thinking to myself when I saw it was written by 'The Australian': "Hang on a minute! Aren't 'The Australian' and 'The Daily Telegraph' both owned by the same company?"

Latest posts