What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The De-Merge Thread

possm

Coach
We need a shake up start at the top apparently there are moves afoot to get a toe hold in the boardroom door. Something from Mark Levy on Face Book.
Not only do we need some of WIN Corp's best business minds on the Board, we also need for some of old cronies plus Doust and Craig Young to be replaced with some clever forward thinking people on the St George side.

Why not make the St George Illawarra football club a proper club with voting membership. A football club that is only concered with things St George Illawarra rugby league. If we can't do that then St George should by out the WIN shares, by the Illawarra Club and sell a half share holding in the lot.

Illawarra made St George weaker. We would’ve been stronger without them. It’s time to be rid of this irritant.
Possibly so but St George may well have been no more if the ‘merge’ didn’t happen.

At the end of the day, when push comes to shove, it is what it is. (my boss’s favourite saying)

Illawarra and St George are married. Get used to it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Possibly so but St George may well have been no more if the ‘merge’ didn’t happen.

At the end of the day, when push comes to shove, it is what it is. (my boss’s favourite saying)

Illawarra and St George are married. Get used to it.
Thanks for quoting your boss...

But if the JV dissolved, would your support for St George end?

If the JV ends St George will either end . . well you know the other options! There are too many teams in this town.

Gaygo

Juniors
Illawarra made St George weaker. We would’ve been stronger without them. It’s time to be rid of this irritant.
Illawarra has a thriving junior base where St George ave lost a lot of ground to other sports in their area. I am a proud St George supporter of 65 years, but even an old one eyed Dragon can admit that We would find it difficult without the strength in talent that is on tap from Iilawarra. We just have to pull together and accept that what we have isn’t going anywhere and get behind it.

Illawarra has a thriving junior base where St George ave lost a lot of ground to other sports in their area.
I think this is a bit of a myth.

But I understand why it often gets trotted out because it was used to sell the JV to us fans, i.e., St George = money, power and prestige; and Illawarra = large talented junior base to draw upon. And together we were meant to be a "Super Club".

This was 20 years ago...

Interesting that the two most successful teams in the past 20 years since the JV (Storm and Roosters) arguably have the smallest junior bases.

blacksafake

First Grade
I think this is a bit of a myth.

But I understand why it often gets trotted out because it was used to sell the JV to us fans, i.e., St George = money, power and prestige; and Illawarra = large talented junior base to draw upon. And together we were meant to be a "Super Club".

This was 20 years ago...

Interesting that the two most successful teams in the past 20 years since the JV (Storm and Roosters) arguably have the smallest junior bases.
But what they do have is they have the most professional of people running/backing the place with a winning attitude.
Unlike us😩

BBTB

Juniors
Not only do we need some of WIN Corp's best business minds on the Board, we also need for some of old cronies plus Doust and Craig Young to be replaced with some clever forward thinking people on the St George side.

Why not make the St George Illawarra football club a proper club with voting membership. A football club that is only concered with things St George Illawarra rugby league. If we can't do that then St George should by out the WIN shares, by the Illawarra Club and sell a half share holding in the lot.
Just when we thought Doust, was gone. He's back on committee. Just can't keep that snout, out of the trough... Andrew Gordon, got him back in. Sold the Gordon's their half of the Joint Venture, for peanuts... Now he gets his payment. Back on committee. What a corrupt bunch of parasites.

Gaygo

Juniors
Redcliffe Dragons has a nice ring to it..
The Dragons up here , have an enormous supporter base ....
I live at North Lakes which is only 10 minute drive to the ground so it would be great for me too. Don’t think it will happen though.

BBTB

Juniors
Illawarra has a thriving junior base where St George ave lost a lot of ground to other sports in their area. I am a proud St George supporter of 65 years, but even an old one eyed Dragon can admit that We would find it difficult without the strength in talent that is on tap from Iilawarra. We just have to pull together and accept that what we have isn’t going anywhere and get behind it.
Love to get behind a all in together St George + Illawarra Club.
But unfortunately that's not the case. To many Gordon's and Illawarra snides, in the mix. Buy out the Gordon's. Send them on their way.They haven't spent a cent, since they arrived. Just not providing any positive input.If anything more "negative". Put up some sponsorship $$.
That's what u where supposed to do.... We don't won't empty headed Andrew Gordon, anywhere near our St George club. Give all members s vote.
See how you'd go then Andy.... You'd be out at the first election.

I am one of those 50 year Dragons supporters. I started my adulation of the Red V at boarding school and have been with the famous club since. To get my first Dragons scrap book started I actually went to Norm 'sticks' Provan's electrical shop and asked him to sign a game cutting of the giant man in action. I was 10 years old.
As much as I'd love us to revert to our former self.. it aint practical. As some here have said the St George district is dying as a viable league nursery. Just count the local juniors we have had since the merger that have had a full first grade career with us. Can count them on one hand..Brad McKay, Lance Thompson, Marc Gasnier, Jason Nightingale. I think Chase Stanley and Lucie Leilua were also locals but both were short termers..

Last edited:
Just when we thought Doust, was gone. He's back on committee. Just can't keep that snout, out of the trough... Andrew Gordon, got him back in. Sold the Gordon's their half of the Joint Venture, for peanuts... Now he gets his payment. Back on committee. What a corrupt bunch of parasites.
That is a bloody disgrace. So we loyal Red V supporters have to once again camp outside the Taj Mahal with Dump Doust placards. This bloke allowed some of our best footballers to leave our club.