What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Demise of the ATM?

YoHadrian

Juniors
Which brings me to my point, the GST was to fight the black market economy well it didn't happen.

Especially when criminals were using ATM's to launder money. Even when the criminals were stuffing the ATM's with so much money the machine couldn't handle it the banks still didn't say a thing. Only 53,000 instances too. Lol.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Before I had to isolate, I checked out numerous shops in my area, both in the main streets and the plaza.

The number hat had a sign out the front saying "No EFTPOS - cash only" was amazing.

Mainly butchers, gift shops, take aways, two bob shops and tobacconists.

A place i go for yum cha in Maroubra Junction has 10% off the bill if you pay with cash.
I also noticed this at another Asian venue i tried in the new part of Marrickville Metro just before Christmas.

They still take cards but encourage cash payment.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In Perth pretty much every bank ATM has been closed down to be replaced by a private company ATM that charges $2 to get your money out. Scandalous!

A place i go for yum cha in Maroubra Junction has 10% off the bill if you pay with cash.
I also noticed this at another Asian venue i tried in the new part of Marrickville Metro just before Christmas.

They still take cards but encourage cash payment.
Just to update on this subject - the other side of the coin (no pun intended).

Many cafes, restaurants, and so on, are introducing increased prices to accommodate their associated costs when patrons pay by tap and go or EFTPOS. I just hope they keep prices as usual for people who pay cash. Bravo!

The only thing that I've paid for without cash are the three houses that I've owned. Only twice have I used online shopping - one for the purchase of BDO tickets and a driveshaft for a car I was repairing at the time. Tap and go and EFTPOS are a BIG no go for me.

Call me a dinosaur but at least I won't get ripped off.

Many cafes, restaurants, and so on, are introducing increased prices to accommodate their associated costs when patrons pay by tap and go or EFTPOS. I just hope they keep prices as usual for people who pay cash. Bravo!

The only thing that I've paid for without cash are the three houses that I've owned. Only twice have I used online shopping - one for the purchase of BDO tickets and a driveshaft for a car I was repairing at the time. Tap and go and EFTPOS are a BIG no go for me.

If we don’t pay in cash at our local shops, we expect to be stabbed.

I usually pay for things online with a burner credit card. Never had any issues.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
In Perth pretty much every bank ATM has been closed down to be replaced by a private company ATM that charges $2 to get your money out. Scandalous!
I’ve noticed bank ones are getting harder to find too. Our banks are such shitheads. Plenty of things you still need cash for, bags, hookers, stolen lawnmowers etc

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade

This is another place we go to sometimes after the football, a nice cheap eats Vietnamese in Surry Hills and there is discount for cash payments. Had to laugh at this google review with a customer thinking he was getting ripped off by paying by card.

The food was 5 stars but I must give -1 because they charge 10% for credit card use. The restaurant design and the lighting is not nice at all. The menu needs a bit more love too.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!...KEwjL2vu1udb_AhV98jgGHSrrC1QQ9fkHKAB6BQgBEOcB

Response from the ownera year ago
Thanks for stopping by Frank and we’re glad you enjoyed the food. To clarify there is no surcharge on credit card payments. We incentivise cash payments with a discount and make less margin on these transactions. Under the Competition and Consumer Amendment Act 2016, businesses are prohibited from excessive surcharges as enforced by the ACCC. I’d kindly ask you to correct your assumption or alternatively lodge a formal case through the relevant channels.

I’ve noticed bank ones are getting harder to find too. Our banks are such shitheads. Plenty of things you still need cash for, bags, hookers, stolen lawnmowers etc
So right! My local shopping centre used to have 13 CBA ATMs In the Plaza itself and surrounding streets. Now there are just six with four of those being in the solitary CBA branch (there used to be two branches). And only ONE available after hours.

horrie hastings

First Grade
If we don’t pay in cash at our local shops, we expect to be stabbed.

I usually pay for things online with a burner credit card. Never had any issues.

Where i work in Liqourland it is about 50 /50 between cash sales and efptos/credit cards.
Still have some customers who ask do we take cash, i just roll my eyes and they actually don't believe me when i tell them the cash sale are still strong in the shop and account for about 50 % of business.
Bloody thing today i went to get some change from the Commonwealth bank and their change machine wasn't working, went to the St George bank and the same thing, out of order. I could have gone to ANZ and got it but prefer getting the coins in rolls like machine s give out and not lose in the plastic coin bags.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I bank with ANZ and Commonwealth , where i live in the inner west we had ANZ at Marrickville, Newtown and Marrickville Metro , now there is only the branch at Marrickville Metro, funnily enough when the ANZ closed in Newtown the Commonwealth Bank moved into the old ANZ site.

Marrickville Metro is the only place i have seen where the amount of banks had increased over the last five years with a new Commonwealth and NAB branches opening