What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Departing

• Thread starter Deleted member 10972
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10972

Goodbye & good luck to the following departing players & coaches from the Eastern Suburbs/Sydney City Roosters, or our Premier League merger, the Newtown Jets, whom were announced at the end of year meeting:

Jason ALLWOOD
Dion BRIGGS
Michael BURNS
Ryan CROSS
Daniel DUMAS
Mark EDMONDSON
Brett FINCH
Jeremy GORDON
Luke GORDON
Glenn HALL
Justin HORO
Aiden KIRK
Michael LETT
Troy MALCOLM
Adrian MORLEY
Lelea PAEA
Frank WINTERSTEIN
Ricky STUART
Shane FLANAGAN

Charlie TONGA (not confirmed?) & Aaron LAI (not confirmed?) were not brought up, however i was under the impression that they were on the outer. Oh well. Another year of the Roosters releasing a torrent of talented juniors in order to pick up overrated 'superstars' or pay extra for their FG counterparts. Releasing ALLWOOD, BURNS, DUMAS, J. GORDON, L. GORDON, HORO, LETT, & WINTERSTEIN were tremendous blunders, as they were the pick of our youth, along with the more experienced losses of CROSS & MORLEY. These losses were up there with the likes of recent retention blunders that will come back to bite us such as Grant ROVELLI, George ROSE, Ben HANNANT, Richard FA'AOSO (tearing it up in ESL), Peter CUSACK, Mick CROCKER, Jason CAYLESS, Bryan FLETCHER, Chad ROBINSON, Todd PAYTEN, Tevita METUISELA & young Jack RAMPLING.

Now we will wait & sign more backrowers/locks/centres that don't fit into the clubs structure, but are bought only due to their reputation & cash value without any though on how they suit the team (examples being Joel MONAGHAN - bought as a winger even though he is a preferred centre, Ash HARRISON - purchased as lock even though we had ideal replacements for Luke RICKETSON in Michael CROCKER or Chris FLANNERY already, & Braith ANASTA - lacks the skill of Josh LEWIS or Jamie SOWARD to play 5-8, & behind Ash HARRISON & Chris FLANNERY for lock but will shunt someone out of position or out of team for his inclusion).

Nate MYLES is meant to replace MORLEY in the team, but he essentially fulfills the same role Chad ROBINSON did for us, but MYLES will be asking for much more money for the same workrate, & of course, no-one can replace big MOZ. It's not the cap that's killing us, it is buying unnecessary players for overly large sums that is forcing the honest toilers & workers out. I do have high hopes for Danny NUTLEY & John WILLIAMS though, though i don't see how George NDAIRA fits into the equation unless Craig WING is on the outer.

Sydney Roosters player recruitment/retention policy = a big thumbs down.

ozzie

Bench
Croker was gone through some mischievious behaviour - it didn't sit well with some players and was causing a lot of problems. His on field behavoiur was also one of worry and he continued on his merry way with suspensions this year. Winterstien is the only one I think we will miss out of the youngen's. Honestly what has Chad Robinson done which has set the world on fire? Fletcher was a nothing at Souths and couldn't get out there quick enough. Peter Cisack really wasn't the answer - slow and had no ball skills - honest player only. Rovelli good. Rose still 500kgs overweight and is only a bench player. Todd payten where is he now?

I think your going overboard a fair bit - but your entitled to your opinion but remember first grade and second grade is a big step - think of all the second grade players who looked the goods but couldn't produce it in all grades..Cayless is one I miss but he is on a bluddy big packet in England due to the slary cap they have and the tax havens set up for overseas players - we had absolutely no chance of keeping him.

Bluebag

Juniors
Aaron Lai was a Newtown contracted player hence his name is not on that list, not sure who we will be signing but I have personal favs which I hope we keep for the future.

D

Deleted member 10972

ozzie said:
Croker was gone through some mischievious behaviour - it didn't sit well with some players and was causing a lot of problems. His on field behavoiur was also one of worry and he continued on his merry way with suspensions this year. Winterstien is the only one I think we will miss out of the youngen's. Honestly what has Chad Robinson done which has set the world on fire? Fletcher was a nothing at Souths and couldn't get out there quick enough. Peter Cisack really wasn't the answer - slow and had no ball skills - honest player only. Rovelli good. Rose still 500kgs overweight and is only a bench player. Todd payten where is he now?

I think your going overboard a fair bit - but your entitled to your opinion but remember first grade and second grade is a big step - think of all the second grade players who looked the goods but couldn't produce it in all grades..Cayless is one I miss but he is on a bluddy big packet in England due to the slary cap they have and the tax havens set up for overseas players - we had absolutely no chance of keeping him.

We don't need players that set the world on fire though. Chad does exactly what Nate MYLES does, but Nate gets far more recognition for it. FLETCHER only played bad because his heart was never in it at Souths. CUSACK is exactly what we need, just a forward who goes forward, gets through the hard work without fuss & doesn't make errors or give away penalties. ROSE was, with HANNANT, the reason our PL was so successful last year, & he has huge potential. WINTERSTEIN is a monster, but ALLWOOD was very strong & mobile for his age, BURNS & DUMAS gave us solidity & strength in our backrow department, J. GORDON was a brilliant utility back, L. GORDON evoked memories of a younger John DOYLE, LETT had pace to burn. And CROCKER would still offer 10 times what FLANNERY is offering at the moment.

ozzie

Bench
AGAIN it's a big step from first grade to second grade..so many people tell me some of those you mentioned they wouldn't waste good food on - again its your opinion.

Fletcher was ending his career when he left Roosters because we couldn't afford to keep him..you do forget one thing - the salary cap and we can't keep them all. Putting Robinson in the same paddock as Myles just shows me you don't watch too many Parramatta games - he is the proverbial bench sitter. I missed Hannat - where is he now for the broncos? Second grade - Ipswich, Toowoomba? but he did have a lot of talent.

Look at who they kept - Shillington who is improving all the time, Pearce, Soward, Lewis, Plumb, and many other juniors who are now coming through the grades so they are doing ok

D

Deleted member 10972

HANNANT has been coming off the bench for Broncos & id making inroads with strong runs, & at one point earlier in the year he was playing absolutely brilliant. But ROBINSON last year & for a large portion of this year was starting in the backrow, & has began to rack up good metres ever since he's moved to prop. MYLES has potential, but for the money we signed him for, he only makes around 10 hitups a game for 80 or so metres, & about 20 tackles on average. I can guess ROBBO would be the same metre wise, plus more in the tackles department.

cusak was definately one player i was gutted we let go, no fuss, no bullsh*t, did the hard yards with head down arse up attitude

hannant was a loss, but a covered loss in plum and shilo

fletcher was covered too

crocker needed to get out of the limelight of sydney because every little social thing he did got the fine tooth comb treatment

cayless, wont be replaced any time soon, money makes the world go round

rovelli, wouldnt of made it with us anyway

payten, i disagree with ozzie, he had a pretty good year last year, i always thought he was underrated with us and was dissappointed when he left

rose is just like rodney blake in union - all filler no killer

chad robinso is a bit like the yak, gets his work done head down arse up and doesnt get recognized but is integral to parra

monaghan, harrison, nutley are very questionable signings with sa, perrett, flannery, shilo, plum all waiting for their chance when the respect positions became "vacant" or atleast were in contention, money could of been spent alot wiser

on a side note, has charlie tonga been released or what? i like him i think hed be a good re-signing for next year

Wicks

Juniors
LeagueFanNumeroUno said:
ALLWOOD, BRIGGS, BURNS, DUMAS, J. GORDON, L. GORDON, HORO, LETT, MALCOLM, WINTERSTEIN

Do you know where these players are headed or just that they were released?

Thanks

ozzie

Bench
But where is Payten now - is he playing second grade, relieased??? that is the question

RoostarGirl

Juniors
Payten was playing first grade and he gave away that infamous penalty that costs the Tigs the match. I assumed he was still with the Tigers.

ozzie said:
Dumas to Bulldogs along with Winterstein..don't know anything about the rest

i wonder how certain sections of the bulldog supporters will react to a player called winterstein playing for them???:sarcasm:

give him a nose job?

Galeforce

Bench
Lett and Lai have been rumoured to Souths about one month ago. All quiet since , maybe they have signed waiting for GF to end to announce . Are they any good?

U-Boat

Juniors
I think that that Kenny Dowell guy is better than Malcolm...
But then, I only saw the grand final and saw Malcolm absolutely slaughter a try...

Latest posts