What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The depth of our halves?

lodown

Juniors
Having not seen any of our lower sides play, i have to ask what is the depth of our halves like?

Monaghan seems to be struggling with taking charge and guiding the team around the park, and although improving, still comes up with some poor play at times.

However, Mullane seems to be non-existant at times. He rarely has an impact in attack, and i cant remember any outstanding kicks.

This seems to be a major thing we are lacking is the halves taking charge and creating opportunity's. the fowards are making meters, the back rowers are busting the line, we all know the wingers can score the tries.

So what can be done about the halves? Is Walker a viable option for 5/8? I'd like to see him somewhere on the park other than as fullback, as he struggles under the highball.

I think the halves are something that should start being scouted for next season.

Any info would be great from people who have seen the lower grade sides play.

t-ba

Post Whore
Walker for 5/8, That's about it really. I don't trust J.P cherry or Lennon for any promotion and Dunley isn't creative or fast enough to play 80 minutes at halfback.

The Whippet

Juniors
You know Craig Field really wants to play NRL, he even approaced Newcastle when he found out Joey got injured.

Also, use could try and talk Jason Ferris to come back.

t-ba

Post Whore
Craig Field would be shot the moment he came within sight of Brookvale.

Ferris is a step back at this point. probably should have retained him though.

t-ba

Post Whore
His defence was too suspect. He was actually avoiding tackles at the end of last year, not even attempting...

Rebuilding teams need a solid defensive foundation. That's the only reason we retain Albert Torrens of paul Stephenson.

t-ba

Post Whore
You need money to do that.

Thankfully, we'll have that once the privatisation deal goes through.

Edit-We are operating $750,000 under the cap.

The Whippet

Juniors
Well than Michael Witt, I believe he signed with Parramatta for $60 000.

Lincoln Withers- the best defensive halfback in the game

Chris Thorman- he wouldn't be on much.

Scott Prince- cheaper because of injury.

lodown

Juniors
Lincoln Withers is going great for Saints atm, had an awesome game today. Have Withers at 1/2back, Walker at 5/8 and sign Billy Slater for fullback 8)

t-ba

Post Whore
Slater?

Stewart is our best fullback since Eadie. I'll make that statement even though he has only played 50 minutes of first grade. He's got that same knack on attack as Peachey but he plays a traditional, and above all safe role in defence.

We need to make a play at Orford this silly season.

t-ba

Post Whore
Perhaps. I hear he is quite homesick and his relationship with Peter Sharp is just short of being hostile.

Disco

Bench
Our Premier league halves are just that, Premier league halves

Mona's was concussed from the 23rd minute, and its no coincidence that we were leading 14 nil at that stage

Mullane isn't ready, Walker has to shift to 5/8 and STEWART HAS TO START

As for signings next year, well we have around 750,000k to play with plus a bit more when we release a player or 2

so i'd be throwing heaps at Orford, and heaps at a top class centre (Cross, maybe Monaghan, and then either another centre or a forward)
i think 3 tops class players will really improve our team

Langers

Juniors
We won't have the money to re-sign improved guys like Donald, Harris and Watmough and then have enough left over to get Orford, Monoghan and another top of the line player. Orford will attract interest from plenty of clubs, apparently the Roosters are interested in him and would then move Finch to 5/8. We would also have to pay him extra to entice him to a club that is running as poorly as we are at the moment.

Disco

Bench
we are 750,000k under the cap, if a few other players get released, for better replacements we could easily find ourselves with nearly 1 million to play with

t-ba

Post Whore
We are absolutely sweet in regards to $$$ as long as Sammy and Dot don't do something stupid like get selected for SoO.

Stagger eel

Staff member
as an outsider looking in!!

Hassler must bite the bullet and put Andrew Walker at five-eight and promote Brett stewart who played an absolute blinder in premmy's he is a deadset star of the future.

I really believe your management should also make an enquiry on the progress of Ben Walker's knee.

Latest posts