What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Difference a Coach Makes

Let's compare the two coaches from last night. Shaun McRae has taken a team that was a useless rabble and has them returning thier best stats at the end of the year. StuePid Raper has taken a team that were world beaters at the start of the year and have them returning pathetic stats. Tell me the rust and cancer doesn't start with the coach.

oh and did you see the comment from StuePid where he said that all he wants is for the team to give a 'commendable performance' next week. What happened to wanting to win the thing so f*cking bad that it hurts!

maxpower3000

Juniors
These are Raper's comments after the game, how in the f^ck can you not be concerned and how the f^ck can you justify some of the changes that you made last night a week out from finals........
Simmons for Scott.....wtf
Galoway for Ciraldo.....wtf
Sullivan for anyone......wtf

Anyone else in Rugby league apart from Super cool Raper would be concerned.
http://http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/rabbits-say-good-knight-to-spoon-and-jealous-skipper/2005/09/03/1125302785111.html
Next weekend's likely showdown against the Dragons looms as a massacre. "I'm not concerned because I know these guys can turn it around," Sharks coach Stuart Raper said as Peachey, who is bound for the UK, completed a lap of honour.

"In semi-final football we will be different. It will lift us.

"What we have to do is not so much concentrate on the way we played but our mental approach. That's got to change - a lot."

In a further blow to the Sharks' chances next week, Raper said Stevens was unlikely to return from a dislocated shoulder that kept him out last night.

wittyfan

Referee
The_Brutal_Truth said:
oh and did you see the comment from StuePid where he said that all he wants is for the team to give a 'commendable performance' next week. What happened to wanting to win the thing so f*cking bad that it hurts!

Raper knows the writing is on the wall.

A respectable defeat is the best he can possibly hope for.

And while we had some good wins early, a few were lucky and there was that shambolic effort against Manly at Brookvale in Round 2.

pogo

Juniors
last year they ran 11th, this year they ran 7th and despite playing liked busted arses, they have litle cattle to work with!

they could always recall isemonger and the human turnstile mcgoldrick!

tell us about ricky stuarts roosters, canterbury, penrith,warriors etc etc.

take your axe somewhere else has been!

one day you will realise along with many others here that the sharks have a dud roster!!

pogo said:
last year they ran 11th, this year they ran 7th and despite playing liked busted arses, they have litle cattle to work with!

they could always recall isemonger and the human turnstile mcgoldrick!

tell us about ricky stuarts roosters, canterbury, penrith,warriors etc etc.

take your axe somewhere else has been!

one day you will realise along with many others here that the sharks have a dud roster!!
Once again a pile of dribble from the forum imbecile. You are a sad case pugwash. While you sit there playing with your weener, think about this -- you are nothing, you have always been nothing, and you will always be nothing. You are lucky stupidity isn't a taxable item, cause if it was you would be so broke you would be an even bigger charity case than you are now. You are not a Sharks supporter, you are a pathetic child grasping at fantasy to make you own self importance seem greater. The reality is the only one you impress is yourself! And I have it on very good authority that, that isn't hard to do. So, love child of Terry Hill, you really don't have too many reasons to smile, do you?

Mako

Juniors
so Pogo, which players would you keep and which ones would you get rid of if you were running the place?

pogo

Juniors
the best way to answer that question mako is to firstly say that the reason the club is in this situation is they have no forward plan.

if you look at the manner in which clubs build sides ..and a great example is wests tigers , you have to ask do cronulla have a forward plan?

the big mistakes they made were thinking players such as peachey,nutley, dykes could help win them a comp.
peachey should have been dropped 6 weeks ago, but no ! sentiment over ruled logic.
dykes is past his best by a long stretch
nutley who tries his quoit off is a bench / relpacement second rower not a starting prop
bailey is either unhappy at the club or grossly overrated maybe both
galloway...laughable
isemonger..laughable
mcgoldrick..reserve grader
hilder...too small
maiava ..came as a reserve grader/bench player...

without stevens the club has a pack of pygmies who were over run last night as expected!

still nothing this board do would surprise me at all, when the players last year told the board not to sign a player they were strongly negotiating with due to personality issues and they acceded to their request/demand that said it all.
that player will now feature probably in a grand final.

easy to blame a coach, he s not the one misses the tackles or drops the ball.

when did cronulla last unearth any good talent???????

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
2000 8th/14 Coach Lang
Cronulla 26 13 13 0 0 562 463 26 +99
2001 4th/14 Coach Lang
Cronulla 26 15 9 2 0 594 513 32 +81
2002 5th/15 Coach Anderson
Cronulla 24 15 9 0 2 653 597 34 +56
2003 12th/15 Coach Anderson
Cronulla 24 8 16 0 2 497 704 20 -207
2004 11th Coach Raper
Cronulla 24 10 14 0 2 528 645 24 -117
2005 7th Coach Raper
Cronulla 24 12 12 0 2 550 564 28 -14

Wow with super coach helping run the signings now we might get a positive for an against again, and make a suitable effort in the finals.
I mean after all the dead wood of Peachey, Merritt et al is gorrn.

Our future is secure with superdave and birdman. All with super captain showing the way. Premiership 2006 here we come.

Mako

Juniors
That's all well and good. You are not the only one that has been saying the club management has problems. No apparent plan for recruitment and retention is obvious from the way things happened again this year.

I agree I would rather see Nuts in the second row off the bench as I think he is far more valuable to us as an impact player and more suited to second row. And I think Hutch is a bench not a starter as well.

Galloway I agree with, Ice is an enigma for me, sometimes great sometimes not. McGoldrick I think should have been on the wing.

If Hilder at 186cm and 101kg is too small then what does that make Gallen? I think Hilders problems at the moment are that he is wounded.

Bailey? I got no idea what his problem is, maybe the way he is used is what has him unhappy and also impacting on his performance.

You left out Simmons, he has scored a few tries but on balance is more liability than he is asset.

We have size in the likes of Williams and I would like to see him up front as he develops. Ross is also a big unit. Loo Loo in the front row (after some work on his defence) could be valuable as well.

I personally believe that the coach has ignored some of the glaring defensive issues that are player based ( around the ruck when Hutch et al are on). We should have been experimenting with the likes of Williams, Manua and Loo Loo up front as we have a fair group of back rowers in Hilder, Bailey, Gallen, Ciraldo, Mellars and (god help me) Bird. In 2006 we should be looking to give the likes of Selmes a run early on (he is a monster and young).

In short I believe our coach failed to do much to fix defensive problems or develop junior talent. If this was because the administration above him would not allow it then the coach is weak.

Frankly, not a lot will change until the administration does and our coach takes charge (assuming he is not responsible for the things that failed to happen this year, as you appear to be saying).

Inferno

Coach
pogo said:
the best way to answer that question mako is to firstly say that the reason the club is in this situation is they have no forward plan.

if you look at the manner in which clubs build sides ..and a great example is wests tigers , you have to ask do cronulla have a forward plan?

the big mistakes they made were thinking players such as peachey,nutley, dykes could help win them a comp.
peachey should have been dropped 6 weeks ago, but no ! sentiment over ruled logic.
dykes is past his best by a long stretch
nutley who tries his quoit off is a bench / relpacement second rower not a starting prop
bailey is either unhappy at the club or grossly overrated maybe both
galloway...laughable
isemonger..laughable
mcgoldrick..reserve grader
hilder...too small
maiava ..came as a reserve grader/bench player...

Ok thats all well and good but there is nothing we can do if thats the best we've got.

Who would you have replaced Peachy with? or Dykes?

I agree with you on Hilder though. Kingston is a better hooker and gallen is a better lock, and Williams and Bailey (when hes not trying to do it all) are much better 2nd rowers. I think we've got better options off the bench as well. All that couples with the fact he's playing injured stupifies the logic of picking him.

With Stevo gone next year I don't like our chances of monstering many forward packs except maybe Melbourne or the Tigers and they will probably carve us up anyway.