What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show Forum

nqboy

First Grade
Just watched the Salary Cap forum on The Sunday Footy Show. Credit where it's due, they did a good job of explaining and discussing the main issues and arguments EXCEPT when they talked about "growing the pie". Vague options were alluded to but it was like everyone had signed an agreement not to discuss the underselling of the TV rights to Nein and Fox.

fourplay

Juniors
They talked about everything besides the single biggest issue in the game today.... sad.

nqboy

First Grade
The way I heard it, they plan a few more of them about other issues, Burnout, The Draft and a few others. I hope so.

Maybe they'll be able to speak fully and frankly about those issues (though I doubt it, media control of the NRL being what it is).

colonel_123

Juniors
Well at least they're delivering on the demand for shows that deliver serious football discussion (even if it was too much to expect a show on channel 9 to bring up their role in limiting the total amount of money available in this so called "pie")

Shame the 40 or so people there none asked `what would the salary cap be if Fox Sports paid a market rate' for the pay TV rights. Sycophantic, c**k smoking love in that it was

dimitri

First Grade
themanonthehill said:
Shame the 40 or so people there none asked `what would the salary cap be if Fox Sports paid a market rate' for the pay TV rights. Sycophantic, c**k smoking love in that it was

Problem is when you only have one buyer (fox sports) you don't have much of a market

cough C7 cough

bluey

Bench
Funny how we all thought the same thing.
I thought richo tried to say that their has to be more income generated.

nqboy

First Grade
dimitri said:
Problem is when you only have one buyer (fox sports) you don't have much of a market

cough C7 cough
True, but let's not forget they re-signed with Nein in a closed tender. That would have cost them a few shekels as well.

nqboy

First Grade
bluey said:
Funny how we all thought the same thing.
I thought richo tried to say that their has to be more income generated.
He did and it was a natural progression from there to raise the TV rights being undersold. It was harder to not raise it than to raise it, yet he didn't (nor did others who seemed about to), and that's what makes me think they were gagged (or edited out).

sherrinator

Juniors
dimitri said:

cough C7 cough

it's hard to get much out of the buyer when they are the owner at the same time

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
dimitri said:

cough C7 cough
By the time the next TV deal comes around Setanta should be well established so that could make things interesting.

Kid Dynamite

Juniors
Where the f**k was Gus? Every week we hear him bag the NRL and then he doesn't show up for this? He would have given it to Gallop too.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Kid Dynamite said:
Where the f**k was Gus? Every week we hear him bag the NRL and then he doesn't show up for this? He would have given it to Gallop too.

Wasn't he in Brisbane?

donkey|rope

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Wasn't he in Brisbane?
yeah but that forum was filmed on at least thursday (if not earlier) because the footy show aired preview on thursday night.

it was a bit soft not having gus on the panel. he would have raised many of the points that i think the majority of us felt were avoided. i’m pretty sure someone high up (ahem, david gallop) would have asked that he not be involved.

it wasn't bad though. probably the best rugby league themed programming i've seen for a while.

waldron hit the nail on the head though - expanding the game is the way to grow the 'pie' to where we want it to be. the afl as a business model illustrates this fact, and all gallop can do is dance around the issue. if we add a perth expansion prior to the next tv deal, we effectively increase our 'pie' and far more substantially that we ever will by trying to a) turn the nsw clubs into manchester united-style cash cows, or b) expanding to qld-4/centralcoast/wellington.

_Johnsy

Referee
when waldron said "who cares if buderus leaves"

I am not a newcastle fan, but this shows he does not know/understand the fabric of RL. What a fuggin stupid thing to say, wonder if he'd say the same thing in 4 years time if cameron smith was about to be poached to UK, after being with melbourne all that time.

Ant

Juniors
I agree it was a shame that no one said anything about the lack of TV rights money in comparison to AFL, which is overpaid by the way. A couple of people did hint at it, by saying we sell ourselves short.

Its the one shame that the fact that the only rugby league talk shows on TV are shown on the 2 channels that own the rights and therefore are unlikely to buy into the argument that league rights are not being paid their worth. The one place you will hear that view is one ABC's offsiders on a sunday morning whenever Roy Masters is on.

On the salary cap issue, well one simple fact is it has to remain or you simply have an english premier league situation where only a couple of clubs can win. 15 seasons and only 4 different winners. All those big soccer leagues are the same, in the last 23 seasons and only 5 seperate winners in Spain and 19 of those titles have been shared between 2 clubs. Italy 5 winners in the last 16 years.

I mean even with a salary cap you still see the advantage the richest club has, Brisbane are the only side to truley show any sort of dominance of the comp. In the last 16 years, we have had 9 different winners, Brisbane 6 times (including SL), No other side has won more than twice.

No salary cap would be a disaster. There is a blow up every year about england and rugby union, but to be honest have we lost a lot. I mean rugby has taken maybe one high profile a player a year since they started grabbing our stars. Rogers, Sailor, Tuqiri, Schifcofske, and now Tahu. Thats about it over about 6 years. A couple of fringe players as well. Thats it. Rugby only really has room for a couple of league stars, because if they aren't going to wallabies there is no point. Schifcofske is different, he wanted to move back to qld, and the reds matched his canberra salary.
England, well yeah there are about 50 aussie players over there. But 20 of them are 30 years or older. Of the other 31 I'd say maybe 6 are genuine starting NRL players. And of all those players maybe Flannery, Bailey and Barrett would be regarded as possible rep players.

Been a bit of a blow up about Matt King, but I think waldron was right. Matt King has no nest egg, late bloomer only probably got in the money last 2 years. And Berrigan is 30 next year.

I think there whole threat is overblown. Our juniors are huge. For every star that goes another arrives. Rugby would be my only worry salary cap wise, because they can affect our share of the pie. But they can't bring too many across, they just don't have space.
the ESL mainly affects clubs depth.

If you took salary cap away it would simply reward rich clubs or clubs with rich backers. It would also suddenly disadvantage those who had most recently had to shed players because of their success.

I think a strong point about the concessions were also made, that quite simply not all clubs could afford it. And to be honest many clubs simply make business decisions, they won't keep the long serving player because it doesn't make sense. If you keep the 30 plus fading star you may lose the 19 year old who wants to play first grade.

The salary cap has made the comp so even, its great and when we get a decent tv contract it will rise and all players will get more. I don't want an english premier league where the only way my club might win is if a russian billionaire comes in and bank rolls it ala Chelsea.

donkey|rope

Juniors
_Johnsy said:
when waldron said "who cares if buderus leaves"

I am not a newcastle fan, but this shows he does not know/understand the fabric of RL. What a fuggin stupid thing to say, wonder if he'd say the same thing in 4 years time if cameron smith was about to be poached to UK, after being with melbourne all that time.

to be honest i don’t think he'd care, he seemed pretty nonchalant at the notion of israel falou getting pinched by union and he hasn't shown much displeasure at matt king leaving. when he says 'who cares if buderus leaves', he isn’t discrediting buderus as a player, what he has achieved in the game or what he means to the knights. buderus has had a great career; he has done everything he would have ever dreamt of doing. he is already making a peach at newcastle but if the money and lifestyle is better in the esl, why should anyone stand in his way? in a perfect world, it wouldn't be a discussion, but here we are and the world ain't so perfect.