What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The French Federation is abysmal, geniusing development

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
It is now late February, 2007, past the second round of Super League, and more than half way through the French domestic competition. Yet we have no French Federaton website.

What possible excuse can M. Larrat have? What are the Paris-based permanent staff of the Federation (one full time official, M. Dalongueville, and two or three secretaries) doing for their money? These French government-funded bureaucrats certainly give no common courtesy, let alone administrative help, to the diehard fans in the south, some of whom are toiling daily at their own expense to produce gems like planete13.tv

Moreover, does M. Larrrat have a strategic plan for building rugby league in France? I have heard nothing of any such plan. Mick Aldous made a number of detailed suggestions to the Federation, for reforms, after he completed his time as national coach in 2004. But what became of these proposals? Did M. Larrat read them?

This is no small matter. Les Catalans has been a great success, even though finishing last in 2006. The crowds are very good, the national TV coverage is there now, and the English fans love to come visit. But this is mostly thanks to the management of Les Catalans, esp. the club's dynamic President M. Bernard Guasch. It has little to do with the French Federation.

The French Elite competition, which should be the showcase of the game, is deeply flawed. While there is a strong interest in the game in the old heartland of the southwest, especially in the Catalan region (UTC, Pia) and in the Aude region (Carcassonne, Lezignan, Limoux), the game has not expanded into the bigger population centres. The likely admission of Toulouse into Super League in 2009 should be a big boost for the game in this most important and wealthy French city. There will be plenty of young rugby union players who will be yearning for a spot in the Super League who will switch codes if Toulouse becomes a second avenue for professional full time rugby league in France. Already Matthieu Griffi is a member of Les Catalans professional squad, and one of the most successful rugby union converts so far.

But the French Elite competition should be set up as a real nursery for the Super League --- especially for the two French Super League clubs, but also for the English clubs. That will only happen in a big way if there is grass roots development of the game in Paris, Bordeaux and Marseille ---with a view to creating Elite clubs there soon --- and a complete renovation of the massively mismanaged Elite club at Lyon. The performance of the Lyon on and off the field is a disgrace. Larrat seems not to care. Furthermore Avignon, which has had some excellent juniors, needs to be resuscitated as an Elite club along with Albi. But Paris must become a priority for development. Without a team in the capital, the game will not be taken seriously by most French people. Establishing an Elite club in Paris is a necessary immediate first step towards creating the third French Super League club in Paris in the next 5-8 years.

All this requires leadership. M. Larrat should be the man to provide it. But so far this well groomed Toulouse lawyer has shown more ability to swagger ostentatiously into a crowded reception room than to deliver a concrete program of development. I will start to believe in him when he delivers not only a professional website, but also a strategic plan for the future of the French game. My guess is that I will have to wait a long time.

With credentials like that he'd be a shoe-in for the NRL ceo's job, or for that matter any position at the top of the game here too.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
East Coast Tiger said:
With credentials like that he'd be a shoe-in for the NRL ceo's job, or for that matter any position at the top of the game here too.

You must mean the ARL CEO's job, now held by Geoff Carr. David Gallop is a very capable administrator of the NRL. He runs a very successful sport very well . He is in a different stratosphere to the witless Geoff Carr.

But Geoff Carr's problem is that he should be delivering pizza for a living. I have no reason to believe that Larrat is a dope. He is more an arrogant, status seeking man with a desire for social prestige to supplement his ample professional income. He loves himself, and maybe he loves the game too. But he doesn't love the game enough to want to spend real time thinking about it and trying to do hard work to develop it. He allows the farcical incompetence that I have described above, especially in the Federation office in Paris and at the club in Lyon, to continue unabated.

After the way Gallop and the NRL has handled the radio and TV rights issues of late I can't possibly stick up for the guy anymore. He's a News Ltd puppet.
Carr is hopeless though, no argument there.
I'm not going to argue with you about the FFR XIII. You clearly know a fair bit about the way the game in run in Framce and it sounds like the situation at present is a little worrying. I guess my point is, RL administrators are pretty much all incompetant. Almost all of them miss the opportunity to grow the game. But I guess the game still goes on and at least the game in France is in better shape then before, whether that has anything to do with the FFR XIII or not. In all cases I think we have to be grateful the game is still growing or at least surviving and have to hope that the administration of the game also improves in the future.

screeny

Bench
One of the big complaints of Ferre was he allowed a haemorrhaging of lower leve clubs. Has this been arrested, Albert? That would seem like a pretty important strategic imperative IMO.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
screeny said:
One of the big complaints of Ferre was he allowed a haemorrhaging of lower leve clubs. Has this been arrested, Albert? That would seem like a pretty important strategic imperative IMO.

Screeny, if you mean by lower level, the levels below the Elite clubs, then I am afraid that I know nothing. My knowledge stops at the elite clubs, because I have friends and acquaintances who are involved at that level.

screeny

Bench
Yeah I was talking about in the villages and youth level. Ferre was accused of allowing them to fall aside, concentrating only on clubs who could vote him into power and keep him there.

I wonder if any serious strategic plan has been formulated to arrest and reverse this trend?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Looking at old Treize Magazines there was over 200 clubs 25 years ago now there is only about 75. They even had a league in Corsica.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
TheGeeWizzKd said:
AlbertRosenfeld, You post is most interesting. Where does your educated opinion on the subject come from?

My French friends, my observations on the spot, and the still active brain inside my head.:lol:

zozito

Juniors
the brand new FFR13 web site will be on line late this afternoon (french time). an official mail from the fed had announced it yesterday.

It seems that it gonna be an outstanding one.

step by step.... ;)

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
zozito said:
the brand new FFR13 web site will be on line late this afternoon (french time). an official mail from the fed had announced it yesterday.

It seems that it gonna be an outstanding one.

step by step.... ;)

Looks like my tirade against the machine has had an effect at last.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
For those who are interested, here is my good friend M. Nicolas Larrat, along with the tyro French journalist (L'Independant newspaper and TV Sports + sideline commentary) Herve Girette.

Nicolas is the taller man in the cashmere wool overcoat, Herve is more scantily clad.

le_president_et_son_interwieuver_personnel_404.jpg

zozito

Juniors
bad answer albert [-X[-X[-X

the man next to "your" friend is "my" friend HERVE GUIRAUD.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
zozito said:
bad answer albert [-X[-X[-X

the man next to "your" friend is "my" friend HERVE GUIRAUD.

Thanks for pointing that out zozito. My eyesight is not what it used to be and I keep confusing the two Herves.:)

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
AlbertRosenfeld said:
Thanks for pointing that out zozito. My eyesight is not what it used to be and I keep confusing the two Herves.:)

This is an article by Herve Girette from the newspaper L'Independant today.

Stacey Jones says he is open to the possibility of an extension of his contract with Les Catalans for another year.

Stacey Jones étonné par Wakefield

Stacey Jones fera ses débuts dans la Super League 2007 à Wakefield, probablement associé à Casey McGuire, qui jouera ainsi ouvreur pour la première fois de la saison, alors que Wilson (genou enflé) est forfait.

"Little general" au parloir pour évoquer présent et… avenir.

Stacey Jones va mieux. Le médecin du club a donné hier son feu vert, et le capitaine néo-zélandais des Dragons sera pour la première fois cette année à la tête des troupes catalanes, dimanche (16h30 française) à Wakefield. Les joueurs seront au repos aujourd’hui, et s’entraîneront demain après-midi à Sale, à leur descente de l’avion. Concernant le poste de talonneur, après le grand vide laissé par Gorrell, les pistes McGuire et Mounis, un moment d’actualité ces derniers jours, semblent abandonnées. Au profit de Lionel Teixido, déjà en lice samedi dernier à Salford.

Stacey, quel regard portez-vous sur la performance de Casey McGuire, qui jouait demi-de-mêlée durant votre absence?

J'ai trouvé qu'il dirigeait efficacement l'équipe, sur tout le terrain.
Il amène avec lui sa solide expérience de NRL.

Qu'est-ce qui a manqué aux Catalans pour espérer triompher à Salford?

Je me doutais que ce serait dur pour les Dragons au Willows. Parce que l'équipe se présentait sans Aaron Gorrell, une perte importante. Parce que, aussi, Salford a disputé les play-off en 2006, et qu'il devait absolument gagner après son début de saison peu conforme à ses espoirs.

Ne risquez-vous pas, dimanche, de souffrir d'un manque de compétition sachant que vous n'avez plus joué depuis bientôt quatre mois?

Ce sera dur, bien sûr, mais il faut bien reprendre un jour, non?

Vous n'avez encore jamais été associé à Thomas Bosc à la charnière. Cela constituera-t-il un risque, si d’aventure vous formiez la paire de demis à Wakefield?

Je n'ai jamais joué non plus avec Casey McGuire. Parfois, lors d'une nouvelle association de demis, les choses prennent du temps avant de se montrer compétitif, mais parfois, également, on se trouve immédiatement.

Le classement de Wakefield vous surprend-il?

Tout le monde est étonné. En attendant, les Wildcats viennent de battre successivement les deux finalistes 2006, St Helens et Hull FC, c'est bien la preuve qu'ils sont collectivement forts actuellement.

Ne regrettez-vous pas d'avoir mis fin à votre carrière internationale, sachant que l'Australien Andrew Johns devrait évoluer avec les Kiwis, l'espace d'un match, celui du 100e anniversaire de la première tournée de la Nouvelle-Zélande en Angleterre, le 20octobre prochain à Warrington?

Non, car je me suis blessé deux fois en 2006 (ndlr: en début de saison avec les Catalans, à l'automne de retour des Tri Series), et je me dois de me consacrer exclusivement à mon club. Je dois penser à lui et à ses supporters.

Ne seriez-vous pas tenté d'effectuer une dernière saison dans un grand club anglais de Super League avant de raccrocher définitivement les crampons?

Il est trop tôt pour me prononcer. Aujourd'hui, je souhaite me consacrer à 100% aux Catalans.

Alors, accepteriez-vous une prolongation de votre contrat avec les Dragons, si par exemple ces derniers disputaient les play-off en 2007?

Pourquoi pas, si les entraîneurs le veulent bien, et s'ils estiment que je peux rentrer dans le quota autorisé de joueurs étrangers, sachant que ce dernier diminuera en 2008.

Recueilli par Hervé Girette