What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The future of Premier League.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I came across this story in the paper this morning.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=156592

I know many of us here go out of our way to follow Premier League but if Parra ellect to field their Premier league side under the banner of the Wentworthville Magpies or Guidford Owles in a state league cup, would you still follow and travel to watch them play??

Just curious to see what happens.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
so what happens to Wenty or Guilford,

do they become redundant

ask them what they think of that and I'm pretty sure you'll get your answer

I dont like the idea

we just won 2 PL grand finals and I'd like to see some more

Stagger eel

Staff member
Twizzle said:
so what happens to Wenty or Guilford,

do they become redundant

ask them what they think of that and I'm pretty sure you'll get your answer

I dont like the idea

we just won 2 PL grand finals and I'd like to see some more

well if Parra choose that path, Wenty, Guildford or whoever it may be will field a team in state comp and will benefit financially from it as they'll effectively amalgamate with Parra...there will still be an A grade Parramatta competition.

I don't think we've got much of a choice it looks like it's happening in 08 regardless of people think.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Also, I wouldn't rule out Parramatta just fielding a side in the state league cup but as cost cutting measure I think they'll amalgamate with a junior side simiar to the relationship Penrith has with St Marys.

Hellsy

Immortal
Depends if they play stand alone and that co-incides with NRL..

I hear St George are not having a Flegg team next year

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hellsy said:
Depends if they play stand alone and that co-incides with NRL..

I hear St George are not having a Flegg team next year

it won't co-incide with the NRL it'll definitely be stand alone, however each of the 16 teams will field an under 20's team where they'll have a national competition and that'll be definite curtain raisers before each NRL game.

Mr_E

Juniors
Every team in the NRL should have a Flegg and Premier league (Reserve grade) team, yes even Melbourne and NZ. That way whenever any teams play the fans can see the players who would potentially play in the top grade. Or, players who are 1st grade standard but coming back from injury. It hardly seems fair that the Jersey Flegg and Premier league final series is only contest between NSW teams.

That's my bit. I'll shut up now.

E

bartman

Immortal
The league has been trying to do away with (or unattach) lower grades for years. Looks like it's finally set to happen. My fear was that there wouldn't be three games (or at Parra sometimes five) to watch on game day any more.

That it might become like the English model (league or football) where it's the big game and that's it - of course all at the same price on the gate. (But with less money directly devolved to the developmenmt of the game and the players of the future.) At least from Eela's comment that they're committed to keeping an attached U20s team, playing as curtain raisers to mean there's two games on match day to make the trip for.

I think it will only be the die-hards following a Wenty/Guildford feeder team at PL level, and that's provided the schedule of games doesn't conflict too much. Unfortunately a lot (and I mean a lot) of casual fans will only be interested in guys wearing blue and gold, even if the others are signed-up squad players.

strider

Post Whore
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! .... if they take away PL we'll never win anymore GFs in blue and gold :lol: :lol: :lol: :|

Hellsy

Immortal
eelavation said:
it won't co-incide with the NRL it'll definitely be stand alone, however each of the 16 teams will field an under 20's team where they'll have a national competition and that'll be definite curtain raisers before each NRL game.

Yes.. but their ideas of non-coinciding are often:

Prems play at Leichardt 2pm Saturday
NRL play at Campbelltown 5.30pm Saturday

So even though this doesn't clash it is still almost impossible to get to both, and it would possibly mean that we missed JFlegg if they played at Campbelltown as well.
Do you know what I mean?

eelz47

Coach
i like guildford< its just a quick walk around the block, i i could charge for parking!!!!!!!!!!!!

its strange this whole thing nd i think it will turn kids away into other sports...

If all it basically turns out to be is Jim Beam Cup opens the day (and thats where we play our PL players) followed by U20s, followed by Firsts I don't think it will be much of a change.

Sometimes I don't think it will be that much of a change (scheduling and colours), other times I think it is the stupidest thing ever. Nevertheless, if everyone has to have a team - including the Qld teams, NZ and Storm - then it really is a positive thing isn't it?

strider

Post Whore
eelz47 said:
i like guildford< its just a quick walk around the block, i i could charge for parking!!!!!!!!!!!!

its strange this whole thing nd i think it will turn kids away into other sports...

you know I think I agree .... obviously all players want to play NRL, but if you can't quite amke it in the early days, at least you are still in the club colours representing infront of the same fans (well a few less of them) - but if you are in some other mobs colours its like u aren't any closer to NRL than before

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hellsy said:
Yes.. but their ideas of non-coinciding are often:

Prems play at Leichardt 2pm Saturday
NRL play at Campbelltown 5.30pm Saturday

So even though this doesn't clash it is still almost impossible to get to both, and it would possibly mean that we missed JFlegg if they played at Campbelltown as well.
Do you know what I mean?

I can only assume that West Tigers will field one side in JF under the new system. As for the new state league/Premier league comp???..only God knows what direction the clubs and NSWRL will take.

Hellsy

Immortal
I don't think it will work.

To answer your question, if I can get to them I will... but I do have a life outside of footy that involves other things and if I need to travel on 2 days to 2 differing venues it will piss me off and I would probably say I will stop attending some of the Ressies games to be able to get things like washing and other household chores done

Stagger eel

Staff member
strider said:
you know I think I agree .... obviously all players want to play NRL, but if you can't quite amke it in the early days, at least you are still in the club colours representing infront of the same fans (well a few less of them) - but if you are in some other mobs colours its like u aren't any closer to NRL than before

but you will anyway...just remember we're only talking about Premier league here...there'll still be a Mathews U16's, SG Ball U18's and a National Jersey Flegg comp in U20's...there will probably be up to 10 or so contracted players over the age of 20 who will turn out and play park football while they train with the fulltime NRL squad.

it'll be a strange set up indeed, but it's the direction they'll take and also you have to remember that the Queensland cup comp is up there with premier league in terms of ability and the Broncos, NQ and Melbourne have feeder clubs playing in that comp and as far as I'm aware a non NRL feeder club actually won the comp.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hellsy said:
I don't think it will work.

To answer your question, if I can get to them I will... but I do have a life outside of footy that involves other things and if I need to travel on 2 days to 2 differing venues it will piss me off and I would probably say I will stop attending some of the Ressies games to be able to get things like washing and other household chores done

yeah! it'll piss alot of people off..definitely.

strider

Post Whore
I just don't know if it helps inspire the fringe NRL players if they have to go off and put on other colours most weekends and not play before the NRL team - i'd liken it to norths being melbourne's PL team (tho with less distance) and I don't know if that is an entirely friendly relationship

Stagger eel

Staff member
strider said:
I just don't know if it helps inspire the fringe NRL players if they have to go off and put on other colours most weekends and not play before the NRL team - i'd liken it to norths being melbourne's PL team (tho with less distance) and I don't know if that is an entirely friendly relationship

yes and no...I've been told on several occasions that players find it difficult getting motivated when they play at stand alone games at venues that only attract a few hundred people however at the end of the day players in that position will still strive and crave for NRL appearences and big dollar cotracts whether it's here or abbroad.