What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The future of Premier League.

The Colonel

Immortal
Dragons earn Carr's ire for dumping Flegg
Brad Walter
October 13, 2006

ST GEORGE Illawarra has axed its Jersey Flegg team in a move set to lead to a massive revamp of the competitions below NRL level.

The decision has angered the NSWRL, who run all tiers of the game in the state outside the NRL premiership, with general manager Geoff Carr yesterday accusing the Dragons of shortsightedness and suggesting the club had budgetary issues.

But St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust said the club was preparing for the introduction of an elite national under-20s competition in 2008 and would field a premier league team next season comprising of their best juniors and just a handful of older players.

The Dragons have an agreement with Shellharbour Marlins enabling them to call on players from the new Wollongong-based Jim Beam Cup club next season if necessary and that arrangement may be extended if the premier league competition is scrapped.

"In 2008 we contemplate that there will be a national youth competition and an NRL competition so we're preparing for that in 2007," Doust said. "The reason we are having a premier league team [instead of Jersey Flegg] is that we still have some players that are on contract that would be over age but the majority of our side will be under 20s, which is what we had this year anyway.

"We prefer that structure because we think it prepares them for first grade more readily than playing in a Jersey Flegg competition and in fact a number of our players that played first grade this year and a lot of our premier league players could have played Jersey Flegg."

Carr said he had not yet been formally advised the Dragons were pulling out of the Jersey Flegg and took aim at the club's management over the decision, which he suggested was a cost cutting exercise caused by paying over the odds for NRL players.

"The Dragons have got a reputation of overspending on players," Carr said. "But with the correct budget they could participate in this and not have a problem. You don't have to pay more than anyone else for every player. You can come up with a budget so I think it is a completely short-sighted option from a club that has supported NSW competitions since its inception."

Discussion about a national youth competition has been ongoing for more than a year and Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald, who is the chairman of a committee set up to investigate competition models, said he hoped the NRL partnership committee would sign off on the under-20s proposal at its next board meeting.

Under the plan, all 16 NRL teams would have an under-20s team that would play before the top grade clash each week. But there may be no premier league, with a NSW state league similar to the Queensland Cup having been mooted for some time.

It is envisaged that NRL clubs would either field sides or have feeder teams in the second tier competition, which may be an expanded Jim Beam Cup.

"I think there needs to be a restructure of NSW competitions as well, which I think will be contemplated on the back of this national youth competition being introduced," Doust said.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/d...r-dumping-flegg/2006/10/12/1160246263370.html

Utey

Coach
I dont like it, and I wouldnt be bothered to go to different venues on the same day to watch them run around. I love getting to gates open and relaxing for the whole day. Nothing better. This ruins that.

The Colonel

Immortal
I think if they run seriously with the a NSWRL competition that is based on the Qld Cup it would be a good thing. While admittedly we may not get to all the games I think long term it will benefit the game. At the moment Premier League is very much seperated between the haves and have nots.

fish eel

Immortal
The Colonel said:
I think if they run seriously with the a NSWRL competition that is based on the Qld Cup it would be a good thing.

A knock out comp involving both those comps would be pretty good imo.

Play the final before the NRL grand final.

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
A knock out comp involving both those comps would be pretty good imo.

Play the final before the NRL grand final.

A knock out comps a good idea..even to play it on a Wednesday.

fish eel

Immortal
You could even involve country sides.

But of course, the administration of the game is to fragmented and administrators lacking any real guts or vision to put something like that together.

I'm thinking something like the FA Cup, ie the ARL Cup.

Freak2

Juniors
I think it has merrit but time will be the telling factor.

It has been obvious for some seasons now that Premier League has been getting further and further away from NRL standard.

The only variation I would have liked to have seen would be to include a small number of over aged players per team. Just to give the younger guys some experince to learn from on the field.

Parra Guru

Coach
If they went with Wenty and played at Ringrose that'd be cool because I could ride my bike down there and watch on a weekend. Plus that's where I play State vigoro :lol:.

I thought about it a bit today and I don't see it as too much of a problem - on the condition that the new Jim Beam/Premier League comp is played as the first game of the day.

If every single NRL team has to field a team in this new Juniors comp it will be excellent for the game, and if all NSW teams have to field a side in the JB/PL comp then it will make it a very strong competition.

I've got no problems cheering for Wenty if they happen to be Parra's feeder team and they're playing the first game of the day.

eelaholic

First Grade
strider said:
I just don't know if it helps inspire the fringe NRL players if they have to go off and put on other colours most weekends and not play before the NRL team - i'd liken it to norths being melbourne's PL team (tho with less distance) and I don't know if that is an entirely friendly relationship

Ahhhh North Sydney.....................perfect example!

This club can actually be successful and has the potential to, however its main downfall is building a development program for juniors. Since Manly is so close to the area a lot of juiors tend to trial for them instead of North Sydney, simply due to the fact that it is more appealing to young kids because they have an actual NRL team, whereas North Sydney were just a feeder club. It will be interesting to see how they go now having joined souths.

While the club itself is really trying to have a go, it just can't cement the grass roots of the club to help build the club from the ground up and create that winning forumla.

I'm wondering if other clubs may fall into this trap once such a competition is put in place?

On another note, I must say it will definately be interesting to see how they also throw in Monday night footy in conjunction with stand alone games and all that is associated with this new concept/competition now that we have a new format for game times due the extra team in the titans!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hollywood Jesus said:
I thought about it a bit today and I don't see it as too much of a problem - on the condition that the new Jim Beam/Premier League comp is played as the first game of the day.

If every single NRL team has to field a team in this new Juniors comp it will be excellent for the game, and if all NSW teams have to field a side in the JB/PL comp then it will make it a very strong competition.

I've got no problems cheering for Wenty if they happen to be Parra's feeder team and they're playing the first game of the day.

one things for certain, Parramatta will not be fielding a Premier league team in 2008, I heard Brandy Alexander talk to Fitzy in an interview tonight on his sports program and he basicaly said that Parra will field players who are over the age of 20, in their feeder club in a revamped state/JB cup, either Cabramatta, Mounties or Wenty will be that side.

I highly doubt that they will also play on NRL match day...it'll be seperate comp played at seperate times.

tbh that makes me feel really sad but I will give that side who ever it may be my full support and will try to get out to as many games as possible..in the meantime lets end the reserve grade comp as we all know it with a third straight premiership next season hey??

parra pete

Referee
I was told at the end of 2005 that Canberra Raiders were going to use Souths Logan as its feeder Club in lieu of Premier League in 2007...
See this post by me on the QRL Forum

22-10-2005, 12:53 PM
parra pete
Bench

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi
And do tell, what does that have to do with NRL affiliations?

They will be affiliated with the Raiders who are to do away with Premier League team, a la` Melbourne Storm/North Devils.

bartman

Immortal
Sounds like it'll be down to two games on game day from 2008 then... I guess put it down to "progress"?

I'll wish Wenty/Cabra/Mounties well in that new competition, and any Parra-signed players turning out for them. But it sure will feel different for them not playing at the stadium and you can bet the scheduling won't tally up at all to help with potential crowd support for a feeder club.