What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The future of woman's RL

ALX25

Bench
North Queensland Gold Stars captain Romy Teitzel capped off a strong season by claiming the first ever BHP Premiership Player of the Year title at the QRL Awards held last Friday.

The Tully product took over the captaincy of the club this year and relished in the responsibility to poll 14 points, two ahead of Harvey Norman Queensland Maroons, Jillaroos and Valleys Diehards skipper Ali Brigginshaw.

Full list in story: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2021/09/28/bhp-premiership-player-of-the-year-full-tally/

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I would be surprised if so. I think it has cost them so much to get their NRL big up that they just don't have the money for it
It was mentioned in their press conference after that they were admitted if I remember correctly mate. Part of their admission also was to invest heavily into women's RL which probably means an NRLW team down the line.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Great news with QLD matching woman's payments for the men in SOO.
Its smart as woman's SOO is elite and generates more than enough revenue to cover it. Its about taking steps to build things up, you can't just make it all full time professional until its ready and taking sensible steps like this are great.

I hope NSW steps up as well.

Valheru

Coach
Great news with QLD matching woman's payments for the men in SOO.
Its smart as woman's SOO is elite and generates more than enough revenue to cover it. Its about taking steps to build things up, you can't just make it all full time professional until its ready and taking sensible steps like this are great.

I hope NSW steps up as well.

If their revenue dictates they should be paid that amount then fair game. What that tells me though is the men's SOO players are drastically under paid.

Reactions: siv

T-Boon

Coach
If their revenue dictates they should be paid that amount then fair game. What that tells me though is the men's SOO players are drastically under paid.
It obviously isn't based on value so much as it is based on being a good move for RL bragging rights etc.
If people were getting paid from income state of origin gets today who actually deserve it it would be going to the champions from the 80s and 90s who built the legend but got paid nothing. Eg Brett Kenny.

Billythekid

First Grade
The women’s game is a huge potential growth area but you won’t see that growth without investment. It’s true that based on revenue there probably should be a bigger divide in terms of pay but that’s not the right way to look at it IMO.

Also I think the women’s game is important in terms of keeping fans engaged in the game. The AFLW has done a great job generating positive word of mouth for the AFL.

It’s not simply a case of how much revenue the game makes (though obviously you don’t want to be throwing money away).

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Its definitely about the potential.
but unlike the AFLW the NRL needs to pace it so that the end product at the elite level is not compromised.

Is the NRLW included in the broadcast deal? I assume eventually the NRL will want all NRL teams to have a Women's side and Pathway teams so clubs will need additional funding for this.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I hope all the games will be televised. I do think the NRL wants all teams to have NRLW teams but I am hoping thats still a few years off. If it expands too quickly then we end up with games not the level you want.
The problem with funding is the NRL model is so stuffed that its goes to be hard. All the money goes to high level admin and players. Nothing really goes anywhere else.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
On a bright note Keilee Joseph is set to become the first player to come through a complete pathway for the womens's NRL.
Keilee played Tarsha Gale for three years with the Sydney Roosters Indigenous Academy.
She played in 2021 and will do again in 2022 for the Central Coast (Roosters HNWP team) She may have played in 2020 as well
In 2022 she will most certainly play NRLW for the Roosters , completing the hattrick.

Keilee has also player for U18 +U19s SOO QLD and the Indigenous all stars.

I don't think it will be long before she is playing for Australia