What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Gold Coast mayor wants SOO

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Origin in Queensland at a 25,000 seat venue? Good f**king luck. Even if they revamp it, they'll be lucky to get what, 32,000?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
They're increasing the capacity of the afl stadium to 40k just for the games, which is ridiculous enough. Moving Origin there is laughable.

They should never have rebuilt Carrara, the way it was before more than met the Thuns crowds needs. An incredible waste of taxpayer money scammed by the afl...

aussie_q_factor

Juniors
As fierce QLDer and Brisbaneite, I actually don't see this being such a big issue, albeit only as a 1 off.

It is QLD vs NSW and not Brisbane vs Sydney after all. Will be a good lead-up to the Comm Games so all for it.

undertaker

Coach

t-ba

Post Whore
f**k them.

Them and Stadiums QLD helped the AFL who were in breach of a contract while absolutely suffocating the Titans. So let the flogballers give them a 'big match.' It will be a real test of the facilities to see how they can handle 40,000 orange empty seats on the trains and in the pubs...

jim_57

Staff member
If Townsville were to get a new 30,000+ Seat stadium then I wouldn't be against them getting an OCCASIONAL game, I imagine 30,000 North Queenslanders could create an atmosphere to rival Suncorp. Gold Coast is an hour down the road so I don't think it's worthwhile.

Maybe they could add 1 game to a "regional" venue every 2nd 3 year cycle if there were stadiums in place to accommodate it (None currently big enough IMO).

Y1 - Brisbane, Sydney, Brisbane
Y2 - Sydney, Brisbane, Newcastle
Y3 - Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne/Perth/Auckland

Y4 - Sydney, Brisbane, Sydney
Y5 - Brisbane, Sydney, Townsville
Y6 - Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne/Perth/Auckland

Spreads it around a bit whilst still giving Brisbane & Sydney the majority of games. Once every 6 years would make it a "must see" for Townsville & Newcastle.

El Diablo

Post Whore
f**k them.

Them and Stadiums QLD helped the AFL who were in breach of a contract while absolutely suffocating the Titans. So let the flogballers give them a 'big match.' It will be a real test of the facilities to see how they can handle 40,000 orange empty seats on the trains and in the pubs...
it's a farce really as they had an agreement that they play out of the GABBA until 2015 http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/new...-for-gold-coast/2008/06/11/1212863692208.html

so Anna Bligh did a backflip and then handed Carrara over to the AFL who get all profits when it's hired out and can also keep profits from naming rights

no way should SOO be held there so the AFL can make a profit from it

Jason Maher

Immortal
Someone makes a comment about the AFL, and sure enough, El Diablo is on it like a fly on a fresh cow pat...

Latest posts