What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The good behaviour rule

Brycey

Juniors
Justin Hodges & Jarryd Hayne. Two players up until this year had good records at the judiciary.

Is there a rule that rewards this???

If not shouldn't there be. Shouldn't players be entitled to acrue points (say 2 points per game they play without being charged with an offence) to act as merit points when using the points based judiciary system which charges demerit points to determine how many games a player misses.

Example: Player has played 50 games without incident (100 merit points), charged with a tackle that has a 150 point demerit penalty (which is equal to 1 game suspension with 50 points carry over).

If the rule was implemented, the player if plead guilty or unsuccessfully fight the charge, would only be charged 50 demerit points against their record.

Charlie124

First Grade
Wasnt the reason Hodges got as long as he did because he has a bad record with similar offences.

I dont know what Haynes record is like but im happy to see players sent a message based on the crime they commited, not let off because they havnt offended in a while.

Brycey

Juniors
Charlie I am not sure, but I remember earlier in the year when Hodges was charged previous to this incident there was a big uproar from the Brisbane media because he had a very clean record apparently.

Brycey

Juniors
if that was the rule Steve Menzies could spear tackle the ref and not miss a game.
lol. And then Vince McMahon comes out with another referee who hands the premiership to Manly.

We could cross promote the WWE and NRL in one event.

Inferno

Coach
Well he definitely had some carry over points for a similar offence so I don't know what they are bitching about.

Probably something about it being a NSW judiciary as per usual :roll:

Brycey

Juniors
Ok Hodges is a bad example. I dont want this turning into a QLD v NSW thread, play the ball not the man.

Charlie124

First Grade
Id like to see the whole "carry over points" thing canned or at least reviewed, and getting more weeks for fighting the charge is ridiculous, i understand it costs time and money for a player to fight a charge but i think its stupid that a spear tackle can be worth 2 weeks, but if you fight the charge the same tackle is worth 3 weeks.

Encurly

Juniors
From the judiciary info on the NRL site:

4. Seven years incident free

If a player has played grade football for seven years or more and has not been convicted of an offence in the seven years preceding the charge, the player is entitled to a reduction equivalent to 25 per cent of the base penalty.

You could make an argument that 7 years is too long, but the good behaviour allowance is there.

Go to

http://www.nrl.com/AbouttheGame/ReferenceCentre/tabid/10429/default.aspx#

and click on Judiciary on the left side of the page.

Danish

Referee
Id like to see the whole "carry over points" thing canned or at least reviewed, and getting more weeks for fighting the charge is ridiculous, i understand it costs time and money for a player to fight a charge but i think its stupid that a spear tackle can be worth 2 weeks, but if you fight the charge the same tackle is worth 3 weeks.

Actually, the way the system works a tackle may be worth 3 weeks, however with an early plea you can have a discount which will bring it down to 2. If you choose to fight the charge, you forgo any early plea reduction.

So essentially it rewards people who choose not to go to the judiciary, rather than punishes people who choose to fight the charge.

You are also able to plead guilty and get the discount, but then choose to fight the grading.