What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Grand Final Experience

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It's 6am, I've been up for ages, and I got to thinking. So here's my story on Grand Finals, particularly the entertainment side of things.

I've been to all the NRL Grand Finals played so far, and recall watching the entertainment from 94-97 on TV. I remember vividly 1994, I have it on tape - the introduction of 4 new clubs, Barnesy (w/out Tina) singing WCM and Simply The Best, the finale, where all the club logos came together, flipped, and became a huge ARL logo - then the finale with the umbrellas making the Aussie flag...

Of course pre-match entertainment disintegrated somewhat, in fact I don't even remember the 98 GF entertainment. 1999 picked up, although Nine started chopping it to bits that year and has been worse ever since. Vanessa Amorosi, a wet day, and heaps of balloons I recall. 2000 saw an EXCELLENT pre-match spectacular in great weather, having the trumpeters in the stand was a masterstroke, and having the singers in the crowd was an awesome idea. The honouring of league legends was also a proud moment. Being daytime, for the singing/choreography part, people got up and danced, the orchestral rendition of What A Game was awesome, but in the end it just lacked atmposphere. 2001 I didn't turn up until kickoff, and in 2002, well, let's just leave that where it is hey? Billy can have his fun somewhere else :lol: The night GF entertainment didn't really get a good run until 2003. I vividly remember it also, being the most recent. Meat Loaf bored the crowd to tears, but I have never felt prouder, more confident, abuzz, and filled with passion for the sport of Rugby League than I did when the Hoodoo Gurus belted out That's My Team in front of 80000 people. Not only that, the stadium was on it's feet and singing along, and in some cases dancing. Every flag in the ground (hell I saw Cowboys, Raiders, Bulldogs, Tigers flags flying that night) was hoisted high. Basically what I'm trying to say here is that crowd participation is clearly the key to a great GF experience in terms of the pre-match show. 2003's had the crowd geared up like never before for a footy game, and I'll be proud to see my Doggies go around on a hopefully similar night tonight. And memo to the NRL - book the Gurus, NOW!

End of rant about entertainment.

-- Waits for egg and tomato shots from footy fans who hate/dont care about pre-match entertainment --

Southernsaint

Staff member
1996 - the disintegrating Optus Vision telly. Best Entertainment Ever!!

2002 - "I Love My Footy!!" but not enough to plug in Billy's microphone & instruments, apparently.

Cheers,
Ben S.

legend

Coach
2001 was Jimmy Barnes being dropped off by a military helicopter three weeks after September 11. The media gave it to the NRL for their lack of tact. :lol:

Gooba

Juniors
2001 was the greatest ive seen ive been to everyone since that. Im pretty sure in 2001 i was all a secret to who was singing which was awesome. The thing ive noticed through the years is there has been special entrances for each of the main performers... 2001- jimmy in the chopper. 2002-billy idol in the thing that hovers. 2003- meatloaf umm was it in those old cars??
i also must admit that shannon noll wasnt as good as what i thought. But still not as bad as meat loaf!! hoodoo gurus were awesome! maybe they are the tina turner of the 2000's :D

Choppies

Coach
Last years Pre game show was awesome
the spirit of Rugby League returned that night in the form of the Hoodoo gurus

the less said about meatloaf the better