What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 'Great Webcke' Week

Raoul Duke

Juniors
Webcke powers on
by Barry Dick and Wayne Heming
Tuesday August 29, 2006
Source: The Courier Mail

shanewebcke6.jpg
NRL warhorse Shane Webcke has pushed his 31-year-old body past the point of his normal endurance in his swansong season for the Ergon Energy Broncos.
Webcke has played 22 matches for the Broncos this season, missing only the away trip to Auckland in round 13 when it was decided not to put his chronic knee through a long flight.

And figures provided yesterday by NRL Stats showed the veteran front-rower has played an average of 48.64 minutes this year – a figure that expands to 51 minutes taking in the round-10 match in which he lasted just five minutes before succumbing to a rib injury – and is right up with any prop in the competition.
The former international also has averaged 115.41m gained and 27 tackles per game – again figures that would put him among the best in the NRL.
The Broncos have declared this to be "Webcke Week" to promote what could be the tough forward's final Suncorp Stadium appearance on Sunday when Brisbane takes on the Warriors.
There is every chance the Broncos will play at Suncorp again the following weekend in the first week of finals but club officials decided not to risk missing giving one of the club's all-time greats a fitting send-off.
Webcke revealed yesterday people had been urging him to play on in 2007 but he stressed there would be no chance of that happening.
"They don't see me on the Mondays and Tuesdays when the knees are so sore I can barely run," he said.
"I really feel like I can finish my career strongly and that's very important to me.
"I've loved my football career. It's been a great ride (and) I'd hate to finish it on a low note.
"Making the decision a few months ago has allowed me to cruise towards retirement comfortably, happy in the knowledge the team has picked up form.
"My first and foremost role this week is to play well on Sunday."
Webcke's season:
Games 22 (of 23)
Minutes 1070 (Ave 48.64)
Hit-ups 299 (Ave 13.59)
Metres 2539 (Ave 115.41)
Tackles 596 (Ave 27.09)
Source: NRL Stats

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And then we still have some particular gimps saying that there are better forwards than webcke, especially those pussy arse wimps from the Bulldogs. refer to the "it's official, raise your glasses post'. pfft

innsaneink

Referee
Hes a f**kin champion, dead set legend.
I dunno if hes the best prop in the world now, but he was for a long long time, and if hes not hes close to it still.
Boot that nuffie Tallis, and give this guy his plumb job next year.

The Colonel

Immortal
Easily the classiest player I have ever seen and while I may be laughed at, the player I consider to be the best player I've ever seen. Sad to see him go. If anyone deserves to go out on top its this bloke......

PARRA_FAN

Coach
:clap:

One of the best props Ive ever seen.

He puts in week in week out gives 100%, has a great offload, great contributor to the game, one of the toughest players. Not only a great footballer on the field, but also off the field he's a great bloke, he speaks well.

He'll be missed.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Hes a legend, and anyone who disagrees is a joke.

Best prop from recent times obviously. Sad sad day for league when his boots get hung up for the last time this season.

mattyg

Bench
Yep, Webcke is a champion. However, his stats don't quite live up to those of some of the Bulldogs forwards. I honestly think Asotasi is the best prop in the world at the moment bar none. Here are some of his stats:
Games: 22 (of 23)
Mins: 1082 (49 mins per game)
Hitups: 286 (13 per game)
Metres: 2600 (118.18 per game)
Tackles: 456 (20.7 per game)

This shows Asotasi is slightly more damaging when he runs, although Webcke gets through a bit more work in defence. Not bad considering we also have SBW, Mason, Ryan, Maitua, O'Meley, Myles and the likes in our pack.

The Colonel

Immortal
mattyg said:
Yep, Webcke is a champion. However, his stats don't quite live up to those of some of the Bulldogs forwards. I honestly think Asotasi is the best prop in the world at the moment bar none. Here are some of his stats:
Games: 22 (of 23)
Mins: 1082 (49 mins per game)
Hitups: 286 (13 per game)
Metres: 2600 (118.18 per game)
Tackles: 456 (20.7 per game)

This shows Asotasi is slightly more damaging when he runs, although Webcke gets through a bit more work in defence. Not bad considering we also have SBW, Mason, Ryan, Maitua, O'Meley, Myles and the likes in our pack.

When Asotasi and the rest of the Dogs forward pack stay at the top of the game as long as Shane has then come back and talk stats....

Rocky Rabbit

Juniors
A true Champion.
Every week he goes in and does his job and for most of his career hes done it better then any other prop. Gunna miss ya. Just hope he keeps up his acting and piano career.

>zuzu<

Juniors
Biggest loss of this year is having to say goodbye to him.Absolute champion and is a true ambassador of our game. True sportsman of our time, and it will be very unfortunate to see him retire.

miccle

Bench
I"m not one for emotional outbursts, but I'll have a lump in my throat this Sunday afternoon.

So happy I have my front row seat, where I can give this man the standing ovation he deserves... along with 40,000 of my closest mates.

Let's hope the Broncos win this weekend... and I reckon even fans of other teams will be hoping for this as well.

This man deserves two laps of honour in front of his home crowd, no one can deny that.

The Colonel

Immortal
miccle said:
I"m not one for emotional outbursts, but I'll have a lump in my throat this Sunday afternoon.

So happy I have my front row seat, where I can give this man the standing ovation he deserves... along with 40,000 of my closest mates.

Let's hope the Broncos win this weekend... and I reckon even fans of other teams will be hoping for this as well.

This man deserves two laps of honour in front of his home crowd, no one can deny that.

If Parramatta get knocked out early, I'll be supporting Shane Webcke through the finals (can't go as far as supporting the Broncos) because I don't think there is any player more deserving of a fairy tale ending than he is....

hitamn

Juniors
i missed out on tickets to the parra-broncos match on sunday and i was mainly dissappointed at the fact i would be albe to see a dead set champin player and bloke play for the last time.
i may hate the broncos but i respect champions and he is one

miccle

Bench
It's ok hitamn - just head out to see the Broncos play in the finals series down there :)

Charlie124

First Grade
Easily the best prop in the game and has been for a long long time. Not only that, he's a perfect example of a true sportsman and class, one A. Johns could learn a lot from Webcke in that department.

I cant stand the broncos and i wont be cheering for them this weekend however i do hope webcke has a cracker as he is one of the few broncos i have any time for.