What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The greatest eels side of the players I have witnessed

slippery eel

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
[quote="slippery eel']Youve had a shocker!. :lol:

Aaron Raper over Steve Edge!. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Clinton Schifoscke in the team????. :shock:

Dean Pay over Bob O'Reily.

Jamie Lyon over Steve Ella!.

Leave Smithy alone...... Gibson had it made. :D

Raper over Edge - Edge barely got over 50% win ratios in the scrums, and never represented. he was an average dummy half. However he was a good defender, and an inspirational skipper. Raper was so much more skilled, and played Rep footy from the club. Have you seen Edge play or just seen the pics?

No Clinton? Whose your second winger? Paul Cariage?

Killer over Zip? Yep. Your problem?

Deano over Bob? Why not? What did Bob do in 2 years that Deano didn't in 4?[/quote]

I saw Edge play and he was a sensational leader, probably better than Price!.

My second winger - Not 100% sure but i would go Liddiard or Hunt over Schifoskce anyday.

Ella and Lyon is a tough one i guess..... give Lyon a few more years and you may convince me.

Dean Pay was a Bulldog..... no Bulldogs should be in our team!. 8)

Ron Jeremy

Coach
slippery eel said:
Misty Bee said:
[quote="slippery eel']Youve had a shocker!. :lol:

Aaron Raper over Steve Edge!. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Clinton Schifoscke in the team????. :shock:

Dean Pay over Bob O'Reily.

Jamie Lyon over Steve Ella!.

Leave Smithy alone...... Gibson had it made. :D

Raper over Edge - Edge barely got over 50% win ratios in the scrums, and never represented. he was an average dummy half. However he was a good defender, and an inspirational skipper. Raper was so much more skilled, and played Rep footy from the club. Have you seen Edge play or just seen the pics?

No Clinton? Whose your second winger? Paul Cariage?

Killer over Zip? Yep. Your problem?

Deano over Bob? Why not? What did Bob do in 2 years that Deano didn't in 4?

I saw Edge play and he was a sensational leader, probably better than Price!.

My second winger - Not 100% sure but i would go Liddiard or Hunt over Schifoskce anyday.

Ella and Lyon is a tough one i guess..... give Lyon a few more years and you may convince me.

Dean Pay was a Bulldog..... no Bulldogs should be in our team!. 8)[/quote]

Lyon IMO is a better player now then Ella ever was.......i know Zip had his injuries but?? Lyon doesn't have the calibre of players around him like zip had!!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
[quote="Ron Jeremy

i know Zip had his injuries but?? Lyon doesn't have the calibre of players around him like zip had!![/quote]

You make a good point about having quality players around them.

How good would Stirlo, Kenny, Crow, Zip and Guru be in say.........the current team..........with Smith coaching them.

I know they would be good...............but how good..........these guys had Jack the Almightly to show them the way.

team eidorb

Juniors
1. Brett Hodgson
2. Shane Whereat
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Stuart Kelly
5. Clinton Schifcofske
6. John Simon
7. Jason Taylor
8. Dean Pay
9. Aaron Raper
10. Mark Tookey
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Jason Smith
13. Jim Dymock

14. Nathan Cayless
15. Jarrod McCracken
16. David Kidwell
17. Dean Schifilliti

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Twizzle said:
[quote="Ron Jeremy

i know Zip had his injuries but?? Lyon doesn't have the calibre of players around him like zip had!!

You make a good point about having quality players around them.

How good would Stirlo, Kenny, Crow, Zip and Guru be in say.........the current team..........with Smith coaching them.

I know they would be good...............but how good..........these guys had Jack the Almightly to show them the way.[/quote]

I say Guru would still be Guru......he just had extroadinary individual talent eg strength, size, speed etc.....he still would of been unstoppable regardless if he didn't have the calibre of players around him.

Peter Sterling answered the question for us in 87 & 90 by wining the Rothams medal in sides that didn't even make the semi's.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah..... Stirlo had the longevity that the other guys didn't.

He was something special.

I remember where I was the day he announced his retirement due to his shoulder injury. Some things you don't forget.

Not so sure about the crew he hangs around with now..........Rabs and the Fatman.

Suitman

Post Whore
For what its worth:-

Mark Levy
Eric Grothe
Mick Cronin
Steve Ella
Neville Glover
Brett Kenny
Peter Sterling
Ray Price
Peter Wynn
Nathan Hindmarsh
Dean Pay
Ron Hilditch
Paul Mares

Res:
Jamie Lyon
Paul Taylor
Ray Higgs
John Muggleton

Misty Bee

First Grade
Guru would be Guru, but remember Gibbo had probs with his workrate and application? I recall the day Gibbo put Guru in the second row because he was bludging on the wing! Under Smith, Guru may have been jettisonned.

Cronin would be Cronin. He was the lynchpin,and Smith would have done as Gibbo and Fearnle did - built the backs around him.

Zip would have been Zip, but may have found more time at 5/8

Bert? Dunno. Probably would have thrived under Smith as well. Bert excelled at the little things. I recfall a berak he made in ithe '82 GF. he stepped, looked left and right for supports, all within 2 strides. Smith would have loved him.

Sterlo? I reckon worse under Smith. Gibbo made Sterlo with simple ploys (kick to the seagulls). This made Sterlo the best kicker in the game. Strelo also liked to run the show, and Smithy always had trouble letting halves to that.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Misty Bee said:
Guru would be Guru, but remember Gibbo had probs with his workrate and application? I recall the day Gibbo put Guru in the second row because he was bludging on the wing! Under Smith, Guru may have been jettisonned.

Cronin would be Cronin. He was the lynchpin,and Smith would have done as Gibbo and Fearnle did - built the backs around him.

Zip would have been Zip, but may have found more time at 5/8

Bert? Dunno. Probably would have thrived under Smith as well. Bert excelled at the little things. I recfall a berak he made in ithe '82 GF. he stepped, looked left and right for supports, all within 2 strides. Smith would have loved him.

Sterlo? I reckon worse under Smith. Gibbo made Sterlo with simple ploys (kick to the seagulls). This made Sterlo the best kicker in the game. Strelo also liked to run the show, and Smithy always had trouble letting halves to that.

Yeah Grothe may have struggled under Grothe due to his workrate & fitness levels unfortunately.......i just hope his son learnt from his fathers mistakes!!

bartman

Immortal
Attended first game as a kid in 1978, so here's my version of a best Parra side:

1. Brett Hodgson
2. Luke Burt
3. Michael Cronin
4. Steve Ella
5. Eric Grothe
6. Brett Kenny
7. Peter Sterling
13. Ray Price
12. Jason Smith
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
10. Dean Pay
9. Steve Edge
8. Bob O'Reilly
14. Jamie Lyon
15. Nathan Cayless
16. Arthur Beetson
17. Paul Taylor
Coach: Jack Gibson

Hard to compare players across even these eras, and to leave some out. Such different styles of play, from no interchange grind 'em out games to today's fast paced changes all over the place games - I'm not sure that any such side would get their combinations right in the one style of football, but all were great in their roles and their days.

noosa-eel

Juniors
Looking at all those past players brings back lots of memories, but Suity's team stands out except i would have included Johnny kolc and Mark Laurie.

The Colonel

Immortal
Michael Pattison (was more talented than Zip, Bert and Sterlo just injuries kept him down)
Eric Grothe
Mick Cronin
Steve Ella
Neville Glover
Brett Kenny
Peter Sterling
Ray Price
Ray Higgs
Nathan Hindmarsh
Dean Pay
Ron Hilditch
Paul Mares