What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The greatest eels side of the players I have witnessed

Misty Bee

First Grade
Talking about the Crow got me thinking.....

The side I would choose from the Eels that I have personally seen wear the clubs colours is thus: (since 1975)

1 Paul Taylor
2 Eric Grothe snr
3 Mick Cronin
4 Jamie Lyon
5 Clinton Schifcofske
6 Brett Kenny
7 Peter Sterling
8 Graham Olling
9 Aaron Raper
10 Dean Pay
11 Nathan Hindmarsh
12 Ray Higgs
13 Ray Price (c)

14 Steve Ella
15 John Peard
16 Ron Hilditch
17 Bob O'Reilly.

COACH....Jack Gibson (and not frigging Brian Smith!!!!)

To explain:

Taylor shades Scott Mahon because of his workrate, and his very low mistake rate. Guru and Crow pick themselves. I'd have Killer shading Ella, as Killer has got to the very top on his own merits, rather than slotting between 2 alltime gerats like Zip did. However, Zip HAS to be in the side, so a bench spot is his.

Clinton Schifcofske was brilliant in our time here. One of the best tries I have seen Parra put on was his try v Canterbury in the ill fated semi of '98. Brilliant stuff.

Sterlo and Kenny are unchallenged (although I did spare a thought for Johnny Kolc - so underrated and forgotten as the brilliant dwarf that drove our pack forward in '76 and '77- - he was awesome!)

Props were hard. Shovells Olling deserved a spot. What a legend he was. I chose Dean Pay as the other - he was a great hard man and brilliant forward leader. Aaron Raper at hooker was hard, but Steve Edge wasn't a great hooker (low percentages, and without the flair of blokes like Krilich). Ditto Hildtich at hooker. Raper was a great dummy half, and a good clubman in his time.

Nathan Hindmarsh will leave Parramatta as an all time gerat. Enough said.

Ray Higgs - bar Price, I have never seen a more passionate Eel. He was fantastic to watch ripping and tearing at the big packs in 75-77, in a much more rugged game. Leading the Eels with a broken jaw in the '76 grand fnial was an effort that deserved to be enshrined in Eel folklore - and the simpering idiot Fitzgerald has done us a great disservice by not ensuring that.

Ray Price - imposible to leave out. The greatest Eel ever. Why his statue is not erected at Parra Stadium I'll never know!!! I'm convinced that Christ DID return, and beat the crap out of Manly and Canterbury forwards at every opportunity from 76-86!

The Bench? Impossible to leave out Zip. John Peard, the brilliant bomber that ALMOST took us to glory in '76 - has to be there. (Interesting to see that, 25 years on, the bomb is still he most potent attacking weapon we have today! And I am yet to see a greater bomb partnership than Peard/Price)

Hilditch was a great clubman. He is the for fronting the wedge in '76, if not for the biggest hit ever (Belmore in '82 when the creamed Krilich!)

And the final bench spot? The Bear. Second half, 1981. 32 year old Bear took the game by the scruff of the neck and delivered a premiership with some of the sweetest short passes you will ever see!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Misty, you must be a youg buck.

Weren't you around in the days of Ken and Dick thornett, Brian Hambly, Artie Beetson, Barry Rushworth and the pommie 5/8 who set the trend for Chris Thorman, Ivor Lingard.

Those were my Parra Marist days when the blue and gold ediction begun.
The old wooden grandstand at Cumberland oval where I used to meet my school mates at the footy every second Staurday, non of this Sunday footy or night time footy back then.

You missed some very good Parra players.

Shame you never got to see "the mayor" play. When we played St George (who were almost invincible in the 60s), he could fill Cumberland Oval, and we used to almost sit on the side line.

slippery eel

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
Talking about the Crow got me thinking.....

The side I would choose from the Eels that I have personally seen wear the clubs colours is thus: (since 1975)

1 Paul Taylor
2 Eric Grothe snr
3 Mick Cronin
4 Jamie Lyon
5 Clinton Schifcofske
6 Brett Kenny
7 Peter Sterling
8 Graham Olling
9 Aaron Raper
10 Dean Pay
11 Nathan Hindmarsh
12 Ray Higgs
13 Ray Price (c)

14 Steve Ella
15 John Peard
16 Ron Hilditch
17 Bob O'Reilly.

COACH....Jack Gibson (and not frigging Brian Smith!!!!)

To explain:

Taylor shades Scott Mahon because of his workrate, and his very low mistake rate. Guru and Crow pick themselves. I'd have Killer shading Ella, as Killer has got to the very top on his own merits, rather than slotting between 2 alltime gerats like Zip did. However, Zip HAS to be in the side, so a bench spot is his.

Clinton Schifcofske was brilliant in our time here. One of the best tries I have seen Parra put on was his try v Canterbury in the ill fated semi of '98. Brilliant stuff.

Sterlo and Kenny are unchallenged (although I did spare a thought for Johnny Kolc - so underrated and forgotten as the brilliant dwarf that drove our pack forward in '76 and '77- - he was awesome!)

Props were hard. Shovells Olling deserved a spot. What a legend he was. I chose Dean Pay as the other - he was a great hard man and brilliant forward leader. Aaron Raper at hooker was hard, but Steve Edge wasn't a great hooker (low percentages, and without the flair of blokes like Krilich). Ditto Hildtich at hooker. Raper was a great dummy half, and a good clubman in his time.

Nathan Hindmarsh will leave Parramatta as an all time gerat. Enough said.

Ray Higgs - bar Price, I have never seen a more passionate Eel. He was fantastic to watch ripping and tearing at the big packs in 75-77, in a much more rugged game. Leading the Eels with a broken jaw in the '76 grand fnial was an effort that deserved to be enshrined in Eel folklore - and the simpering idiot Fitzgerald has done us a great disservice by not ensuring that.

Ray Price - imposible to leave out. The greatest Eel ever. Why his statue is not erected at Parra Stadium I'll never know!!! I'm convinced that Christ DID return, and beat the crap out of Manly and Canterbury forwards at every opportunity from 76-86!

The Bench? Impossible to leave out Zip. John Peard, the brilliant bomber that ALMOST took us to glory in '76 - has to be there. (Interesting to see that, 25 years on, the bomb is still he most potent attacking weapon we have today! And I am yet to see a greater bomb partnership than Peard/Price)

Hilditch was a great clubman. He is the for fronting the wedge in '76, if not for the biggest hit ever (Belmore in '82 when the creamed Krilich!)

And the final bench spot? The Bear. Second half, 1981. 32 year old Bear took the game by the scruff of the neck and delivered a premiership with some of the sweetest short passes you will ever see!

Youve had a shocker!. :lol:

Aaron Raper over Steve Edge!. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Clinton Schifoscke in the team????. :shock:

Dean Pay over Bob O'Reily.

Jamie Lyon over Steve Ella!.

Leave Smithy alone...... Gibson had it made. :D

Stagger eel

Staff member
Thats an interesting side? ofcourse it is all a matter of opinion.

My side is from 1976 onwards.

1 Steve Ella
2 Neville Glover
3 Mick Cronin
4 Jamie Lyon
5 Eric Grothe
6 Brett Kenny
7 Peter Sterling
8 Bob O'Reilly
9 Steve Edge [capt]
10 Dean Pay
11 Jason Smith
12 Nathen Hindmarsh
13 Ray Price

Res
14 Paul Taylor
15 Jim Dymock
16 Peter Wynn
17 Micheal Vellla

coach: Jack Gibson

Misty Bee

First Grade
Twizzle said:
Misty, you must be a youg buck.

Weren't you around in the days of Ken and d*ck thornett, Brian Hambly, Artie Beetson, Barry Rushworth and the pommie 5/8 who set the trend for Chris Thorman, Ivor Lingard.

Those were my Parra Marist days when the blue and gold ediction begun.
The old wooden grandstand at Cumberland oval where I used to meet my school mates at the footy every second Staurday, non of this Sunday footy or night time footy back then.

You missed some very good Parra players.

Shame you never got to see "the mayor" play. When we played St George (who were almost invincible in the 60s), he could fill Cumberland Oval, and we used to almost sit on the side line.

I saw Artie play - legend. Sadly, I missed the Thornett brothers, Lynch, Hambly, Rushworth, Reynolds et al.

I did see the Mayor at one of the Golden Oldies days. I can remember the crowd rising as one when he walked onto the stadium, even before his name was announced. He is a legend - kept Langlands , Barnes and Johns oput of the Test fullback job on the '3 'roo tour.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
If the question is "the best parra players you have witnessed" then that throws up a hole different persective as the first game i watched was the 86 GF and the first game i wen't to was Parra vs Manly 88!!

1. Scott Mahon
2. Eric Grothe
3. Steve Ella
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Luke Burt
6. Brett Kenny
7. Peter Sterling
8. Nathan Cayless
9. Brad Drew
10.Deam Pay
11.Nthan Hindmarsh
12. Peter Wynn
13. Jason Smith

14. David Woods
15. Jim Dymock
16. Jarrod Mc Cracken
17. Micheal Vella

Keep in perspective that this is the best Parra side i've viewed since i started watching Parra play....so of course there are many notable omissions & surprises.

First of all...Scott Mahon!!...a brillant attcking fullback who was virtually Parra's only attcking option in 93,94...wonderfull under the high ball, with a great step & elusiveness....a much better player then Taylor in my opinion as Taylor was genrally a hooker for Parra after 86!!

Luke Burt.....who have we had in the last 15 years with as much potential and speed then him??....started his career very young & willl become a huge part of Parramatta hopefully in the future.

Brad Drew...he clicked while at Parramatta!!....just was superb out of dummy half & a great attcking option for us.....we have not had a more explosive Hooker in almost 20 years that i've seen Parra play!!

David Woods...a great player who was unfortunuately held back due to chronic injuries..but?? on his day was awesome in both defense & attack and was always a favourite of mine due to his comebacks from such horrific injuries...a great player when he was fit.

Misty Bee

First Grade
[quote="slippery eel']Youve had a shocker!. :lol:

Aaron Raper over Steve Edge!. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Clinton Schifoscke in the team????. :shock:

Dean Pay over Bob O'Reily.

Jamie Lyon over Steve Ella!.

Leave Smithy alone...... Gibson had it made. :D[/quote]

Raper over Edge - Edge barely got over 50% win ratios in the scrums, and never represented. he was an average dummy half. However he was a good defender, and an inspirational skipper. Raper was so much more skilled, and played Rep footy from the club. Have you seen Edge play or just seen the pics?

No Clinton? Whose your second winger? Paul Cariage?

Killer over Zip? Yep. Your problem?

Deano over Bob? Why not? What did Bob do in 2 years that Deano didn't in 4?

Misty Bee

First Grade
Ron Jeremy said:
If the question is "the best parra players you have witnessed" then that throws up a hole different persective as the first game i watched was the 86 GF and the first game i wen't to was Parra vs Manly 88!!

1. Scott Mahon
2. Eric Grothe
3. Steve Ella
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Luke Burt
6. Brett Kenny
7. Peter Sterling
8. Nathan Cayless
9. Brad Drew
10.Deam Pay
11.Nthan Hindmarsh
12. Peter Wynn
13. Jason Smith

14. David Woods
15. Jim Dymock
16. Jarrod Mc Cracken
17. Micheal Vella

Keep in perspective that this is the best Parra side i've viewed since i started watching Parra play....so of course there are many notable omissions & surprises.

First of all...Scott Mahon!!...a brillant attcking fullback who was virtually Parra's only attcking option in 93,94...wonderfull under the high ball, with a great step & elusiveness....a much better player then Taylor in my opinion as Taylor was genrally a hooker for Parra after 86!!

Luke Burt.....who have we had in the last 15 years with as much potential and speed then him??....started his career very young & willl become a huge part of Parramatta hopefully in the future.

Brad Drew...he clicked while at Parramatta!!....just was superb out of dummy half & a great attcking option for us.....we have not had a more explosive Hooker in almost 20 years that i've seen Parra play!!

David Woods...a great player who was unfortunuately held back due to chronic injuries..but?? on his day was awesome in both defense & attack and was always a favourite of mine due to his comebacks from such horrific injuries...a great player when he was fit.

Yeah, can't bag that, Ron. Yuo see, as Slippery forgets, it's about the players you have seen. I saw Bob in 2 seasons, and I was only just getting into the game in '75. So, essentaially, playing memories of Bear was a fat old bloke in '81. Desopite his big game in the GF, I saw 4 times as much footy from a younger and fitter Dean Pay.

sportive cupid

Referee
eelavation said:
Thats an interesting side? ofcourse it is all a matter of opinion.

My side is from 1976 onwards.

1 Steve Ella
2 Neville Glover
3 Mick Cronin
4 Jamie Lyon
5 Eric Grothe
6 Brett Kenny
7 Peter Sterling
8 Bob O'Reilly
9 Steve Edge [capt]
10 Dean Pay
11 Jason Smith
12 Nathen Hindmarsh
13 Ray Price

Res
14 Paul Taylor
15 Jim Dymock
16 Peter Wynn
17 Micheal Vellla

coach: Jack Gibson
Great side Eelevation.One thing though....can't recall Steve Ella even playing full-back :oops:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Misty Bee said:
Ron Jeremy said:

1. Scott Mahon
2. Eric Grothe
3. Steve Ella
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Luke Burt
6. Brett Kenny
7. Peter Sterling
8. Nathan Cayless
9. Brad Drew
10.Deam Pay
11.Nthan Hindmarsh
12. Peter Wynn
13. Jason Smith

14. David Woods
15. Jim Dymock
16. Jarrod Mc Cracken
17. Micheal Vella

Yeah, can't bag that, Ron. Yuo see, as Slippery forgets, it's about the players you have seen. I saw Bob in 2 seasons, and I was only just getting into the game in '75. So, essentaially, playing memories of Bear was a fat old bloke in '81. Desopite his big game in the GF, I saw 4 times as much footy from a younger and fitter Dean Pay.

Yeah this scenario is alot better.

I only saw Cronin play once....and he had a shocker (86 GF)...so i couldn't include him....same with Price.

I saw a number of games with Grothe, Ella, Wynn....and in those games they impressed me so i gave them my vote.

Also the calibre of good players in the early 90's was very thin.....so making a judgement was very hard!!

Dean Pay was a great player....Dymock just scrapped in over PeterMc Phail, Gavin Catanach & Chris King :lol: :lol:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:

Ron.....you don't get out much....do you?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Twizzle said:
Ron Jeremy said:

What are you saying??.....Drew was brillant for us in 2001??......he was unbelievable....one of our x factors that year with Solomona!!

In the GF lead up he was pointed out as being the key player for Parramatta wining.....im also sure he won the Daily M Hooker of the year....or the Footy show hooker of the year one of the 2??

Stagger eel

Staff member
Misty: Edge did represent!! he was hooker for NSW in the first ever origon game in 1980.

MC: Steve Ella has played about 6 firstgrade games at fullback however in the modern day game he would of been sensational playing in that position IMO. just imagine it!! you have Cronin, Ella and Glover on one side of the ruck then Kenny, Lyon and Grothe snr on the other side.

I thought about this long and hard and by leaving either Killer or Zip out of the side for an established fullback like Paul Taylor, Gary Dowling or Brett Hodgson I think it would of been less potent. Besides Paul Taylor would probably have made one of the greatest ever interchange players of all timein the modern game. as he was able to easily slot in to about Half a dozen positions.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
Twizzle said:
Ron Jeremy said:

What are you saying??.....Drew was brillant for us in 2001??......he was unbelievable....one of our x factors that year with Solomona!!

In the GF lead up he was pointed out as being the key player for Parramatta wining.....im also sure he won the Daily M Hooker of the year....or the Footy show hooker of the year one of the 2??

He was good for one year......which means to me that he was not that good. PJ was more consistent. I would have John Morris in the team before Drew.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Twizzle said:
Ron Jeremy said:
Twizzle said:
Ron Jeremy said:

He was good for one year......which means to me that he was not that good. PJ was more consistent. I would have John Morris in the team before Drew.

PJ marsh was more of a half back/utility with us & never had the same impact at hooker as Drew did....this is while both where at Parramatta, i understand Marsh has gone to bigger & better things while at the Warriors but im basing my selections on while at Parramatta.

John Morris spent most of the year at 5/8 so he couldn't be considered just as yet!!

Misty Bee

First Grade
Drew in 01 was sensational. Morris in 03 was very good. I'm backin' ya Ronnie James Jeremy!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps the next team of het week could be " the one year wonders"

I'll concede with you that Brad Drew would get a gig in that team, along with Brett Hodgson and Pat Richards.

I was going to add Guru jnr......... but he is young and back where he belongs with a chance to redeem himself.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Twizzle said:
Perhaps the next team of het week could be " the one year wonders"

I'll concede with you that Brad Drew would get a gig in that team, along with Brett Hodgson and Pat Richards.

I was going to add Guru jnr......... but he is young and back where he belongs with a chance to redeem himself.

Hodgson had some good years for us....unfortunately his last year & half has been well below par!!

Speaking of one year wonders.......Paul Carige :lol: :lol: ......but i doubt as to whether he was actually a wonder :lol: :lol:

Latest posts