What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Hit Of The Millenium

intentcity

First Grade
umm why didn't you just call yourself fumbleballfan#1? all but one of your posts have belittled the NRL in some way, or advocated the AFL in another

really?, i just posted a collision thats all, im not saying its bigger than the league hits, fact is its not, you dont have to hit someone overly hard to get the shirtfront effect when they havnt braced for contact, the league hits posted in this thread are much bigger because the "victim" was braced and still got hammered.

The league hits involve one man's torso/arms against others when they are prepared and running at each other on the ground.

The fumbleball one was a guy flying through the air and kneeing another player in the head (temple/jaw). Nothing impressive or tough about it really.

Stormcap

Juniors
The league hits involve one man's torso/arms against others when they are prepared and running at each other on the ground.

The fumbleball one was a guy flying through the air and kneeing another player in the head (temple/jaw). Nothing impressive or tough about it really.

whats the difference? one guy can see it coming and the other has to go back for the ball not knowing whats on the other end.

Are you saying a torso to torso hit hurts more than a hip to head ?

Most league players dont have the courage to raise their arms above their head and exposing theor ribs when catching a ball. thats why they catch the ball on their chest.

intentcity

First Grade
whats the difference? one guy can see it coming and the other has to go back for the ball not knowing whats on the other end.

Most league players dont have the courage to raise their arms above their head and exposing theor ribs when catching a ball. thats why they catch the ball on their chest.

obviously the NRL have the bigger hits, basicly bigger men, stronger men and its pretty much an inpact sport, but IMO the spectaculer hits come when the "victim" isnt braced or isnt expecting contact, the later happens in Aussie rules a fair bit, hits like the one seen on that vid arnt all that uncommon in AFL, although i must admit, that was a doozy but i have seen better.

Borat.

Juniors
The kidwell hit on Mason is one of my favourites- big man on big man- one on one.....

intentcity

First Grade
i know this isnt a league hit, probably more a collision than a hit but man that would hurt.

the funny thinig is americans think its rugby anyway. Both games are harder than their pad wearing overpaid chess game.

big call, ive seen some absoluty horrific NFL hits, they need pads/helmuts to play that game, players would die if they didnt, every NFL play is played at 100%, fatigue doesnt come into it.

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
Huge! Loved every millisecond of it.

Sux to be Matt Cross he just got postered!

Doomednow

Bench
lol, funnily enough i know what you mean, nothing to do with me though i assure you, im sure the mods could or can track the IP numbers if you dont beleive me, im guessing his will be smack bang in the middle of melbourne lol.

do you disagree with my post though?

Hmmmm. Looks pretty sus. Could just be quote fail though.

Do AFL commentators always talk so much wank? Who are they trying to convince?

In any case NFL might be overly structured with too much protection and strategy for its own good, but id still watch it over AFL. In fact over the summer I watched quite a bit of it on One. Needed my sport fix and it'll do when the league season's not on.

intentcity

First Grade
Hmmmm. Looks pretty sus. Could just be quote fail though.

Do AFL commentators always talk so much wank? Who are they trying to convince?

In any case NFL might be overly structured with too much protection and strategy for its own good, but id still watch it over AFL. In fact over the summer I watched quite a bit of it on One. Needed my sport fix and it'll do when the league season's not on.

ill pretty much watch anything if its exciting, i love sport, i love some sports more than others, but NFL? not my cup of tea, same goes for that bloody ice hocky, it probably wouldnt be bad if you could actually see the bloody puck.

Fein

First Grade

:lol::lol::lol:

You f**king Victorian idiot.

chrisD

Coach

League players have to protect the ball and possession, they don't have the luxury of being able to half catch it and then fumble it after contact (which is obviously much heavier in league). That's a drop, that's a knock on and that's a turn over, unlike in AFL where it's a "mark". Not to mention the few times in AFL where a dropped ball is regarded as a dropped ball and the only penalty is for the viewers who have to watch another 5 minutes of blokes engaging in a group reach around session.

Spuddicus

Juniors
League players have to protect the ball and possession, they don't have the luxury of being able to half catch it and then fumble it after contact (which is obviously much heavier in league). That's a drop, that's a knock on and that's a turn over, unlike in AFL where it's a "mark". Not to mention the few times in AFL where a dropped ball is regarded as a dropped ball and the only penalty is for the viewers who have to watch another 5 minutes of blokes engaging in a group reach around session.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Doomednow

Bench

ChrisD may have used your interpretation of the chest catch as a chance to get a cheap shot in but you are pretty ignorant if you think its because they dont want to expose their ribs. The chest catch creates a basket for the ball to land in and is a much more secure method of catching a football than reaching out to catch it. Whilst AFL players have the luxury or even the need to reach out as far as they can to contest a catch, the penalty for dropping it at worst is a 50/50 chance at regaining possesion again. A league player on the receiving end of 5th tackle kick who drops the football has just given up a huge field advantage AND handed possession back over to the opposition - a disaster, in short. So no, the chest catch is not because they dont have the "courage", you brain washed peon, its because the penalty for dropping the ball is much more severe in league and players will only risk reaching out to take a kick when there are also opposition players in direct contention for receiving it.

Latest posts