What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THE IDEAL NUMBER OF TEAMS IN THE NRL.

IDEAL NUMBER OF TEAMS IN NRL

• Total voters

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
18 teams by 2010.

16 for 2006.

As the game gets fitter players would be able to cope with the large number of games in a year, andd as a fan, how, why, could you complain about there being "too many games"? There is no such thing as too much league.

Diehard said:
18 for sure.

Including;

Gold Coast Dolphins
NZ Southern Orcas
Perth

With maybe a 2nd Brisbane in the long term. :D

But no teams should be added at once and be separated by 2-3 years between entry. 16 is the ideal number for the moment.

The second NZ team is a long long long way off at present. The NZ Warriors are struggling at present and whilst theyhave had a great couple of years they have also for the other 8 years of there existence been a worry financially. I would really like to see the NZ Warriors given proper support as well as getting rugby league back and running properly in Country NSW and QLD which have been very much neglected of recent times.

We have 15 teams now and there is a distinct lack of depth currently throughout the NRL. I am positive in the current climate there are neither the players or the support corporately to fund 18 teams. BUT I will say that currently there are to many sides in the catchment are between Canberra and Newcastle. I would at the moment bring in the Gold Coast as I think another team is needed within QLD.

I would then leave it at that and attrition will take care of the rest. There will either need to be relocations or teams will go broke by themselves and then we can expand that way. The problem I have is with people making rushed decisions solely based on what the AFL is doing. I agree the Gold Coast is the prime piece of sporting real estate at present and we need tomake a move there ASAP. But after that take our time and make sure we expand pro actively rather than re actively as we did with Perth and Adelaide the first time around.

LESStar58

Referee
My ideal scenario (which I totally hypotthetical but I just like daydreaming about it) would be:

+ dissolve the joint ventures and have the merged teams play as single entities
+ bring in the Gold Coast, Central Coast, Wellington, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin and Port Moresby.
+ put another SE QLD team in
+ put a team on the NZ south island
+ and bring back Newtown!

Count the teams (and their respective home grounds)...

+ Adelaide Rams- Hindmarsh Stadium
+ Balmain Tigers- Leichardrt Oval
+ Brisbane Broncos- Suncorp Stadium
+ Canberra Raiders- Canberra Stadium
+ Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs- Sydney Showgrounds
+ Central Coast Bears- Express-Advocate Stadium
+ Christchurch (not sure of a nickname or a homeground- probably Jade Stadium)
+ Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks- Toyota Park
+ Darwin (not sure of a nickname...probably Titans or Brahmas [as in the bull])-?
+ Gold Coast Dolphins- Cararra Oval
+ Illawarra Steelers- WIN Stadium
+ Manly-Warringah Sea-Eagles- Brookvale Oval
+ Melbourne Storm- Olympic Park
+ Newcastle Knights- EnergyAustralia Stadium
+ Newtown Jets- Henson Park
+ New Zealand Warriors- Ericsson Stadium
+ North Queensland Cowboys- Dairy Farmers Stadium
+ Parramatta Eels- Parramatta Stadium
+ Penrith Panthers- Penrith Park
+ Perth Reds- Members Equity Stadium
+ South Queensland Crushers- the logical thing would maybe be to use ANZ Stadium as there is nothing exactly wrong with it and is no longer used!)
+ South Sydney Rabbitohs- Sydney Football Stadium
+ Southern Orcas (wellington)- Westpac Trust Stadium
+ St.George Dragons- Oki Jubilee Stadium
+ Sydney Roosters- Sydney Football Stadium
+ Western Suburbs Magpies- Campbelltown Stadium

So all up 26 teams...makes sense coz THEY ONLY PLAY EACH OTHER ONCE!

So when I find that lamp with the genie and get my 3 wishes I will ask him for this format of competition and make RL the superior code in OZ :clap: :clap: :clap: !
after I make myself a multi-billionaire of course. And when that happens everybody on this board is invited to the season launch and you'll all have corporate boxes at the GF fully catered! 8)

LESStar58

Referee
Ooops, forgot Port Moresby...probably keep the Vipers but that makes an uneven number now. Just put another NZ team or a 5th QLD team in (promote one of the QLD Cup teams, maybe Redcliffe) in and even it up!

The genie will take care of everything :lol: 8)

I think redcliffe or another QRL team is a must. I remember watching a redcliffe vs Norths match and almost the whole norths team had played nrl for the storm. At that time the storm had no injury worries. You would have expected norths to win as they had players like Matt King and Turner. Well redcliffe smashed them! I think these teams are very underestimated. They'd beat Wests or Eels anyday.

The Moose

Juniors
16 teams, NFL style

4 conferences of 4:

North- Cowboys South- Melbourne
Broncos Canberra
Gold Coast NZ
Newcastle SGI

East- Roosters West- Penny
Cronulla Parra
Souths Tigers
Manly Doggies

Play each team in conference twice and everyone else once a year for an 18 round season.

Conference minor premiers automatically progress to semis along with the 2 highest placed runners-up for a 6 team finals series.

The Moose

Juniors
16 teams, NFL style

4 conferences of 4:

North- Cowboys South- Melbourne
Broncos Canberra
Gold Coast NZ
Newcastle SGI

East- Roosters West- Penny
Cronulla Parra
Souths Tigers
Manly Doggies

Play each team in conference twice and everyone else once a year for an 18 round season.

Conference minor premiers automatically progress to semis along with the 2 highest placed runners-up for a 6 team finals series.

LESStar58

Referee
Okay, based on my suggestion I could envision this as the first round of a comp with 28 teams

Southern Orcas vs NZ Warriors @ Westpac Trust Stadium
Christchurch vs Canterbury Bankstown @ Jade Stadium
Perth vs St George @ Members Equity Stadium
Adelaide vs Illawarra @ Hindmarsh Stadium
South Queensland vs Brisbane @ ANZ Stadium
Port Moresby vs Cronulla @ Port Moresby
Newtown vs South Sydney @ Henson Park
Gold Coast vs North Queensland @ Cararra Stadium
Central Coast vs Manly-Warringah @ Express Advocate Stadium
Redcliffe vs Melbourne @ ANZ Stadium/Suncorp
Parramatta vs Penrith @ Parramatta Stadium
Darwin vs Newcastle @ Darwin
Balmain vs Canberra @ Leichardt
Wests vs Sydney @ Campbelltown

14 home games per team per season to be determined at the start of the year by lottery and the salary cap to be raised. :mrgreen:

LESStar58

Referee
BTW to the moose...your signature. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen! Not the cheerleader as your sig sez, you might wanna rectify that :lol: !
That was an immortal line by Sean Connery!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
16 teams makes it even, but just one team added to the competition would cause a few blowups. So

18 teams, including:

Central Coast Bears
Gold Coast
Perth

top 8, 22-24 rounds. No Byes.

This might happen in probably 10 years time.

DIEHARD

----
NATIONAL RUGBY LEAGUE 2015
1 - Brisbane Broncos
2 - Brisbane Diehards (Sharing Lang Park, offering one 1st class RL game a week)
3 - Gold Coast Dolphins
4 - North Queensland Cowboys
5 - Sunshine Coast (Redcliffe based)
6 - Melbourne Storm
7 - Canberra Raiders
8 - Newcastle Knights
9 - St George-Illawarra Dragons
10 - South Sydney Rabbitohs
11 - Wests Tigers
12 - Easts Roosters (You aren't Sydney, face facts)
13 - Canterbury Bulldogs (Time to be Canterbury again)
16 - Manly Sea Eagles
15 - Penrith Panthers
16 - Cronulla Sharks
17 - Parramatta Eels
18 - New Zealand Warriors
19 - Southern Orcas (Based at Christchurch and Wellington)
20 - Perth Reds

- State of Origins
- Tri Nations
- World Cups
- World Sevens
- World Club Championship (Premier of NRL v Champion of SL)

Humphrey

Juniors
canyoudigit said:
What do you think is the right number of teams to compete in the nrl.

Me personally i'd love to see 12 eventually with each team playing everyone twice.

Watcha reckon?

14 but same point - each team plays each other twice

fatshark

Bench
I think the CC and GC should be included though a team currently in the NRL should be moved.
16 teams

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Pigskin said:
12 teams is perfect - true home and away

Oink !

The numbers are great , but that's not what we should be taking into account.

Gold Coast and the Central Coast should come in, along with Perth and Adelaide in time.

I think relocation for some clubs is the way to go,

Sharks to the Central Coast, Roosters to the Gold Coast.

That would take 2 teams out of Sydney and into these heartlands.

They can then have.. Juniors !!!
mmmm.. There own :lol: :lol: :lol:

LebaneseForces said:
Man_of_Steel_1982

How many times you want to agree ;-) :lol:

:lol: sorry about that... damn thing kept saying unable to connect and all that crap... then look what happened!

dodge said:
18 teams, 17 rounds.

Sounds silly but provided the same teams stay in the comp for a long period of time, have years where 9 teams play at home against certain team and another 9 play away against certain teams and swap. The draw doesn't need to be identical just have

"Bulldogs vs Brisbane" at Telstra in 2006
then
"Brisbane vs Bulldogs" at Suncorp in 2007
then
"Bulldogs vs Brisbane" at Telstra in 2008

and so on

Obviously people might not like that but it's similar to what we see at the moment, with not everyone playing everyone else twice.

Yep. Thats something I've always thought about. Plus, with 17 rounds it would allow for an extended finals series.

Seen as everyone's throwing around new competition ideas and teams (and some good suggestions), I thought i'd throw my 2 cents worth in... ;-)

How about this --> 2 Comps, one Sydney (NSWRL) and a true NRL.

It couldn't really work though because the Sydney Comp would play second fiddle to the NRL but this is just what I think should of happened instead of expanding the NSWRL - they should of started a new national league.

The Sydney Comp would be 12 teams:

North Sydney Bears
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
Western Suburbs Magpies
Parramatta Eels
Eastern Suburbs Roosters
Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
Balmain Tigers
Penrith Panthers
St George Dragons
Newtown Jets

All would play at suburban grounds and on saturday arvo's when there are no NRL games. Could be broadcast on the ABC. Steeped in tradition. Top 5 finals at the SFS with afternoon Grand FInals.

The new NRL would simply be a Super League style format, with clubs getting funding from the league/news and would have all the razzle dazzle, wow wee stuff such as Night Grand Finals, and franchises right across the country. Would need a National tv deal to see it broadcast everywhere.
Possible locations for franchises:

1. Sydney
2. West Sydney
3. Newcastle
4. Wollongong
5. Canberra
6. Central Coast
7. Brisbane
8. Gold Coast
9. Townsville
10. Auckland
11. Wellington
12. Melbourne
13. Adelaide
14. Perth

NSW: 6 Teams, QLD: 3 (right population ratio) and 2 for NZ and 3 "satellite" teams in Melb Adelaide and Perth.

Of course, this can never really happen. But it should of been the path to take back in the early 80s when the Steelers and Raiders were introduced, instead of just expanding the Sydney Comp. Especially when the Soccer and Basketball did it in the late 70's early 80's.

Latest posts