What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The injuries thread.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I occasionally get a sore back after doing deadlifts, nothing serious though. Usually a couple of nurofen and a heatpack and I'm painfree the next day

Probably due to weak or inflexible hamstring(s). Try some straight led deadlifts with a lighter weight before hand to loosen them up

Cliffhanger

Coach
Bruised clavicle from stupid front squats, bruised chin from pulling the bar up to high doing cleans, bruised pelvis from brushing too high doing snatch.

Collateral

Coach
Strained Rotator Cuff from BJJ.

Couldnt lift my arm above horizontal after I cooled down and it took 2 days before I could lift it straight up on its own strength. A week later and I have full range of motion back but still get sharp pains when lifting moderately light weight. Hopefully it will come good by Wednesday :(

Moffo

Referee
Pulled my groin playing futsal, f**k it hurt. Quick recovery though which has helped me continue to train for the half marathon though

Danish

Referee
Well I think I may have picked up a good one....

Did a sprint session on thursday, 30 x 100m hill sprints with a jog back on a 60 second cycle. Left knee started to get really tender on the downhill portion and during my cool down jog sharp pain set in.

Had yesterday off but it still hurt all day, quite a sharp pain down the interior of my knee. Went to my running squad this morning and couldn't get further than our warm up run before it hurt too much. Can still run on it but the pain is enough that I know I shouldn't.

Coach reckons I've torn my meniscus... f**king brilliant. I'll see a doc on monday and get some scans. Hopefully he is wrong as I really can't fathom what I'd do having to take weeks off of running

ceagle

Bench
If you just have the cartliage removed instead of repaired you could probably be back running within a week

CJG 182

Juniors
I dislocated my elbow and shattered my radial head. It ended up in pieces half way up my forearm ruling out the chance of fixing it with a plate and screws. 4 years, 2 full reconstructions using 2 different radial head implants, a clean out and many setbacks I've finally been able to get back into a regular weight program with the elbow feeling ok.

The Joker

Juniors
Well I think I may have picked up a good one....

Did a sprint session on thursday, 30 x 100m hill sprints with a jog back on a 60 second cycle. Left knee started to get really tender on the downhill portion and during my cool down jog sharp pain set in.

Had yesterday off but it still hurt all day, quite a sharp pain down the interior of my knee. Went to my running squad this morning and couldn't get further than our warm up run before it hurt too much. Can still run on it but the pain is enough that I know I shouldn't.

Coach reckons I've torn my meniscus... f**king brilliant. I'll see a doc on monday and get some scans. Hopefully he is wrong as I really can't fathom what I'd do having to take weeks off of running

If the pain is on the interior side of your knee, it could be your MCL

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Sprained an ankle about 6 weeks ago, every time it seems to be coming right I roll it again and aggravate it, still throbbing constantly and am struggling to run more than 5-6km on it atm. Frustrating.

Danish

Referee
If you just have the cartliage removed instead of repaired you could probably be back running within a week

Thankfully after a few physio appointments they decided I didn't need surgery, just to give it a couple weeks rest.

Did that (was bloody painful, can't stand not running) and now I'm back into it.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Got a pretty embarrassing one. I was distracted at work yesterday and ended up falling down some stairs like a clumsy oaf. Can't really walk today so I've had it checked out. Looks like I might have torn my mcl which is pretty lame.

Danish

Referee
How much of an old man do you feel like potentially doing an MCL after falling down some steps? hopefully all checks out ok, and if not just give Danksy a call and he'll have you zippity do dahing down the steps in 2 weeks :D

I recently had a bout of heart problems... well, not recently as it started on Australia day, but still. Now THAT is something that makes you feel like a freaking geriatric.

Went into the ER on Oz Day with some chest pain (wouldn't normally have done so but had a few unrelated health problems in the family which had me paranoid) and crazily I ended up admitted for 3 days. Was getting hit by all sorts of potential problems and there were initially discussions of a pace maker, but thankfully it all got sorted out. Turned out it was "just" pericardits, but with the unsual ECG reading that gave mixed with my very low heart rate they kept me in just to be sure.

The ECG read normal again after 2 weeks (confirming it was Pericarditis) and I got the all clear to run again, although my heart was still weaker so its taking me a while to get back into it. Lost a bunch of fitness and put on about 5kg because of all the exercise I was missing while still eating a runners diet.

In hindsight the hospital stay was actually quite funny. They had to put me in my own room as my HR was so low (at rest during the day it was about 45, while watching TV at night about 38 and when at full rest while trying to sleep it would settle on about 34) that the bloody alarms kept going off thinking I was dead or having a heart attack or something. The first few times the nurses charged in with great gusto, but after about 24 hours they'd turned the sensor down as low as possible so I'd stop annoying them and could get some sleep :lol:

joshie

Live Update Team
I just took up the lovely sport of Netball, continuing in Euro Handball and playing touch. Recently I noticed pain in the bottoms of my feet and swelling under my ankle bone, making it look like something is sticking out. I am putting it down to Netball and the sudden stopping and shock on my feet, I was just wondering if anyone has used any tricks to combat these sort of injuries?

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Need to have my bike fit looked at. Left knee is constantly sore. Need to have it fixed before the first road race at the end of the month.

Molon Lave

Juniors
Well start of last soccer season, 30 minutes into the first game and filling in at goalie, i had a nice collision with two other players after I cleared a ball with both cluttering into the outside of my right knee...and unfortunately heard that "pop".

Hoping it was shinpad on shinpad, but not being able to straighten the leg out, meant that there was something reall ywrong with it.

MRI scan on the monday confirmed that I was a recipient of an unhappy triad....Grade 2 MCL tear, Grade 2 Medial Meniscus tear and Grade 3 ACL tear.

Ended up being in a leg brace for 5 weeks for MCL to heal, then had to wait till September post some pre booked honeymoon holidays for ACL reco and Meniscus trim...ended up taking 26cms from my hamstring for new ACL graft. Surgery luckily went well, was walking on the leg straight after surgery, but noticed alot of atrophy in quad and hamstring strength.

Have been having intense physio and therapy post surgery. 6 months later started runnign again, and now back at playing mini games at soccer training, but no chance in playing comp this year.

I sympathise now anytime i hear those words ACL reco...just makes me shudder and cringe knowing the pain someone is going through. Hopefully next season strap on the boots, but at 32 I don't recover like i used to!