What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Jim Beam "Toughest 12" announced

gong_eagle

First Grade
By James Phelps
September 18, 2007

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22436060-5006066,00.html

THE toughest men to have ever laced on a boot in rugby league were last night honoured at a gala event at Star City.
Judged to have been the hardest and most enduring over the last 50 years, the Jim Beam "Toughest 12" was announced by the Men of League Foundation at the black-tie dinner.
Unsurprisingly, only four of the dozen men - Shane Webcke, Mal Meninga, Trevor Gillmeister and Geoff Toovey - played after 1990. Most were from the brutal era of the 1960s to 80s.
Former Magpies halfback Tommy Raudonikis told The Daily Telegraph he was honoured to be included in the list.
"To be honest I am very proud but I find it hard to believe I am one of the toughest 12 players of the last 50 years," Raudonikis said.
"In the 70s I was probably the toughest halfback going around. I really rode roughshod over the rest of them. I think I was definitely the toughest halfback but to be included in the 12 toughest players . . . that's awesome.
"Roy Masters (former Wests coach) always said the longer the game went the better I went. When I broke my arm against Manly, I told him I wasn't real good. He said it was up to me if I wanted to stay on but he wanted me to aim up if I stayed on.
"For me being tough was about hating my rivals and maybe that was it."
Judges chose players who were one or more of the following: courageous, durable, enduring, intimidating, relentless and resilient.
All eleven living members of the prestigious group were on hand to be honoured last night.
The Jim Beam "Toughest 12" are:

Kevin Ryan,

Shane Webcke,

Noel Kelly,

John Sattler,

Malcolm Reilly,

Ray Price,

John O'Neill (dec),

Mal Meninga,

Geoff Toovey,

Terry Randall,

Trevor Gillmeister

Tom Raudonikis.

0,,5660165,00.jpg

The toughest 12 ... (back row)Kevin Ryan, John Satler, Mal Meninga,
John Markham, Malcom Reily,Noel Kelly and Terry Randall.
(Front row) Ray Price, Trevor Gillmeister, Geoff Toovey, Tom Raudonikis,
Shane Webcke. Souths and Manly great John O'Neill is deceased.
Photograph: Noel Kessel

Canard

Immortal
Why 12? Is that some Marketing thing? you would think 13 would be the logical number!

innsaneink

Referee
Ive always hated manly....but have had nothing but the utmost respect for toovey for the way he played the game...tough as teak little merkin not outta place there.
In the 70s I was probably the toughest halfback going around. I really rode roughshod over the rest of them.
LOL...Onya Tommy. Love the, On tour/hotel room/sgl bed-dbl bed/ Turvey Mortimer tale.

Why 12? Is that some Marketing thing? you would think 13 would be the logical number!
Its not a team/positional....theres 9 forwards there.

chileman

Coach
Bigfella said:
I am a big admirer of Webcke - but does he really belong in this group?
I reckon he deserves his spot.....onya Toovs although I reckon he's paying for it now!
Allan Langer mustn't have been to far off that list either pound for pound!

Azkatro

First Grade
International RL said:
Played a preliminary final with a broken arm. Yes.
Not to mention an Origin game that went into extra time with busted ribs. I remember the first hit up in overtime which he took he smashed into Mark O'Meley and still sent the bald prick flying.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Ruben Wiki is a little hard done by. But if it is rewarding thuggery and playing whilst injured then I guess it might be a good thing he isn't on the list.

All depends on the definition of toughness I guess.

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
Webcke is one of the toughest blokes i've seen play the game. There's no question whether he belongs here or not. He epitomizes toughness.

Mr Saab

Referee
International RL said:
Played a preliminary final with a broken arm. Yes.

And the GF of 2000
And had minor knee surgery a week before the 2004 semi vs the cowboys.

He deserves it.
Tough is not about eye gougers and elbows to the head.

Tom Shines

First Grade
I'm glad Les Boyd didn't get in, although he was nominated.
Cheap shot merchants and brawlers aren't tough.

Navjot

Juniors
Well done to Tommy and Tooves, two little men who were as tough as teak, congrats again

kooriguy

Juniors
wheres rambo ronnie gibbs or that nice person ian roberts.. would have also gave gordon tallis, adrian morley and hoppa the poop stoppa a look in.

perverse

Referee
eh i'll get bagged for saying it.. but i can't count the number of concussions and injuries i saw andrew johns play on with. not to forget the broken ribs in the 97 grand final.

all tough characters on that list... but i feel that there were tougher that have missed out there (not just johns.. he's just the only one that is coming immediately to mind).

Raider_69

Post Whore
Ruben Wiki was hard done by, but spose you can make a case for everyone nominated, Id have ruben in there though

congrats all whom made it this far and was nominated, all worthy contenders

Raider_69

Post Whore
Whilst im spruking raiders, Jason Croker was unlucky not to get a nom, he played an entire half of footy against the chooks with a busted ankle and knee because we had no one else, we won that match and Croker ended up with a complete knee reco, i think it was an ACL he did. Tough as nails that bloke

petetheileet

First Grade
id have Wiki there....how can anyone call alfie tough???...the toughest thing he ever attempted was tripping someone over without wearing shin pads

Latest posts