What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Johns boys dominant matches

Knight87

Juniors
Which matches can you remember either Matthew or Andrew Johns being dominant in?

For Andrew Johns, I'd have to say Origin 2 2005, Newcastle vs Brisbane 2001 at Marathon (his comeback game from injury) and Newcastle vs Cronulla 2002 at Marathon (the only match where the Johns boys played against each other). I'll list some other ones when I think about it, but those are the 3 games that Andrew Johns single-handedly won that stand out from memory

thuganomics

Coach
Johns has in so many. Just about nearly every game in 2001-2002 and at the back end of 2005. I remember it was pure brilliance against the Sharks in the back end of the 2005 season when he put on tries left right and centre.

roopy

Referee
The Cowboys game where joey and the guys rattled up 60 or so points and then joey went off and the Cowboys came back - and it turned out later he was playing injured.

Knight87

Juniors
Yeah, I think Joey was at his peak up until end of 2002. After 2002, he wasn't the same player, although he showed glimpses and patches of that form in the second half of 2005. If there was a Wilcard entry for a team during that final series and the Knights got it, I think they would've given a lot of teams a run for their money and had a very good chance of winning the premiership.

Knight87

Juniors
But, what about Matthew Johns though? The only game I can recall him standing out in was the 42-0 flogging vs Bulldogs in 1995 (which ironically fired up the Dog's to win the comp that year). He carved up Polla-Mounter and Terry Lamb in that match. Rabs Warren virtually was getting excited over Matty in that game. Shame that Ch9 only showed 1 hr highlights of the match, and not the full game.

Stuzmeister

Juniors
J T said:
Which matches can you remember either Matthew or Andrew Johns being dominant in?

For Andrew Johns, I'd have to say Origin 2 2005, Newcastle vs Brisbane 2001 at Marathon (his comeback game from injury) and Newcastle vs Cronulla 2002 at Marathon (the only match where the Johns boys played against each other). I'll list some other ones when I think about it, but those are the 3 games that Andrew Johns single-handedly won that stand out from memory
Anyone know where I can get a copy of that game at all. I'd love to watch it again.

keeney

First Grade
Yeha teh one that sprung to mind was the one roopy mentioned. It was his last game of 03 if I remember, brilliant, 48-0 at halftime, Johns was in amazing touch, 60-0 in a round 60 minutes, then Johns came off, having kicked 10 from 10 and had a hand in pretty much every try. Then his neck was found out. Tis a shame.

Knight87

Juniors
Stuzmeister said:
Anyone know where I can get a copy of that game at all. I'd love to watch it again.

I use to have a copy of that game, but can't seem to find the tape anywhere around the house:( Preston Campbell had an absolute shocker with Joey tormenting him with all the high kicks (very reminiscent of Clinton Schifcofske in 1998 vs Newcastle)

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
It has to be the Sharks game in 2002 where the banana kick came out. And the Broncos game where he spun the ball on his finger after he scored we won 44-0 or something. That's Joey.

To be honest I dont remember Matty ever being dominant, not to say he hasn't I just don't remember.

CJKnight

Juniors
The 2006 Anzac Test was a good game for Johns. It was his send-off from rep footy after he announced his retirement. He also let BK kick a goal from right in front as it was his last rep game also.

Knight87

Juniors
KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:
It has to be the Sharks game in 2002 where the banana kick came out. And the Broncos game where he spun the ball on his finger after he scored we won 44-0 or something. That's Joey.

To be honest I dont remember Matty ever being dominant, not to say he hasn't I just don't remember.

Well, as I said, the only game that I can remember Matty being dominant (or semi-dominant, whatever way you look at it) was the game vs Bulldogs in '95.

Yosh

Coach
Can I get any of these games? Like find them on the net somewhere to stream? I've seen all the Knights games from 03 onwards but hardly seen any games before that only seen the Grandfinals and thats about it. Would be stoked to be able to watch other games when Joey was acutally the WORLDS BEST

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
One of the very best games I saw joey play was a semi against the bulldogs in 1998.

Matt Played a great game v's norths at marathon in 98 and got man of the match.

Latest posts