What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The junior arguement

drake said:
Roosterphin said:
drake said:
Stop using that crap 'develop' cliche. Just admit that you've got big wallets and good scouts and be done with it.
I agree that there are f all people in the Eastern Suburbs that can even say Rugby League, let alone play it. The same thing is happening in South Sydney too, but they are sticking in there and keeping it alive. The Roosters simply gave up.

Let's hope that other Districts don't do the same, because otherwise, our grandkids will never get to play or watch the game.

Speaking without facts is a very dangerous thing to do Drakey Boy. The Roosters are renoened for their development program. I have dealings with Redcliffe and I know from the boys that went down there they cannot speak highly enough of the set up. I guarantee Mick Crocker is a far better player than if he had gone to Souths or the Wests Tigers. Why is that?
Of couse their renowned for it. Goose Gould talks it up in all his media avenues all year round.
And your guarantee is sadly lacking. What if he went to the Broncos. Or Newcastle. Or the Dragons.
No you use teams that are struggling.

I agree there is no point naming Souths or Wests etc etc.

But why didn't he end up at Saints or Brisbane or Newcastle or Parra.

All country kids and QLD kids are available to anyone that wants to bring them on.

Canterbury are the past masters of bringing in kids from the country and making them feel at home and developing them into top class players.

Parramatta do it. Saints in the 50's, 60's used to do it.

brook

First Grade
Parramatta accept praise for doing it

and plenty of parra fans clain nathan hindmarsh is a junior - even those who complain about the roosters

PINGU

Juniors
Southern Rooster said:
[I agree there is no point naming Souths or Wests etc etc.

But why didn't he end up at Saints or Brisbane or Newcastle or Parra.

All country kids and QLD kids are available to anyone that wants to bring them on.

Canterbury are the past masters of bringing in kids from the country and making them feel at home and developing them into top class players.

Parramatta do it. Saints in the 50's, 60's used to do it.

Well said, look at how much success it brought Canterbury over the years. Guys such as Chris Anderson, Mortimer brothers, Pay, the list could go on forever.

Seems to me that the Bulldogs as started by the late Peter Moore were the champions of bringing a kid in from the bush, giving him a go and then turning him into a superstar.

Parramatta did it, but never to the same degree with the likes of Lyon, the Cayless brothers, the Hindmarsh boys, Andrew Ryan.

I think more clubs should be following the same policy and going to the bush. NRL clubs should be out there offering support to CRL clubs and taking them under their wing and looking after then as they would a club within their distrct.

Well done to the Roosters and to a certain degree Parramatta for follwing the lead Caterbury have had in place for over 30 years.

drake

First Grade
Because Melbourne have not abandoned juniors, they simply never had them.
It's a good point you make, and it's obvious that the wealth and success of the club is rewarded by allowing them to spend far more on their training and support of players and coaches. Not to mention Sunsilk ads.
But this in and of itself should be the club's reward, not extra cap room. If their development is of such a high standard, their reserve grade side should be 1st grade quality. Unfortunately they are seemingly only developing players they have seen playing with potential at other clubs. Otherwise their Reserve grade and Flegg teams would be doing much better. (9th in Premier league\reserves)

Zef

Juniors
Who cares about what Easts do with their juniors or get them from anyway? This whole junior argument's a side-track from the real issue if you ask me. If Easts want to pour money into Redcliffe, West Wyalong or anywhere else to develope talent then good luck to them and more power to them - after all $$$ from anywhere isn't gonna harm the game is it?

I hope The Dogs are onto the same program and if not why not?

But it's all a side issue to the real issue that we're all dancing around here. And the real issue is....

... Why are The Roosters playing the court card here? What's got into them - have they all gone completly barking f*****' mad? Or are they just "The Evil Empire" Reagan warned us about?

Kaz

junior
I ask these questions a few months ago in the Knights forum

What do you clasify as a junior.

What areas does your team claim to be your junior base.

And what age do they classify a junior.

And does he have to be signed up with the your club first.

drake said:
Because Melbourne have not abandoned juniors, they simply never had them.
It's a good point you make, and it's obvious that the wealth and success of the club is rewarded by allowing them to spend far more on their training and support of players and coaches. Not to mention Sunsilk ads.
But this in and of itself should be the club's reward, not extra cap room. If their development is of such a high standard, their reserve grade side should be 1st grade quality. Unfortunately they are seemingly only developing players they have seen playing with potential at other clubs. Otherwise their Reserve grade and Flegg teams would be doing much better. (9th in Premier league\reserves)

2002 Flegg premiers and most of those young guys were playing in the reserves last season. Some like the Veratau and Laela Paea played firsts.

Only developing players from other clubs. Please let me know what other clubs these blokes played for.

Crocker
Flannery
Minichiello
Cusack
Shillington
Hegarty

Then there has been

Bonnetti
Lomu
Milton
Clayton
Williams

We have had to let go because of cap restraints.

drake

First Grade
All eastern suburbs locals yeah?
Bonnetti retired fool.
And who the hell are the others in the let go list?
Big guns obviously.
(I've heard of Lomu, but only because he shares the name with that yawnion player.)

antonius

Coach
Kaz said:

What areas does your team claim to be your junior base.

I think if a player comes to a club and plays his way through the ranks to first grade then the fact that he came from say Grafton, and started out at Penrith or the Dragons. Then those clubs have every right to say he is one of their juniors, he doesn’t have to come from the immediate area. Simple really. A lot of people claim that Brett Finch is a Newcastle Junior. I cannot recall him playing any junior footy for Newcastle (Knights) the closest he got was being a Ball Boy. So I certainly wouldn’t claim him as one of our juniors

drake said:
All eastern suburbs locals yeah?
Bonnetti retired fool.
And who the hell are the others in the let go list?
Big guns obviously.
(I've heard of Lomu, but only because he shares the name with that yawnion player.)

Bonetti retired because he would have had to play somewhere else and he didn't want to. Cap restraints.

You haven't heard of Lomu because he played internationals for NZ.

I see you didn't tell me what other clubs they have played for. Because you can't, because they haven't played for another side.

Who is the fool now.

drake

First Grade
Unfortunately it's because I don't research other teams too heavily.

I am so sorry. Don't you think the fact that you have to name your juniours, and you can do it with such a short list of names is telling in itself.

Barrett
Bailey
Timmins
Thompson
Ryles
Hornby
Cooper
Creagh
Gasnier
Young
Sims
Cross
Byrne

And that's just first grade.

drake said:
Unfortunately it's because I don't research other teams too heavily.

I am so sorry. Don't you think the fact that you have to name your juniours, and you can do it with such a short list of names is telling in itself.

Barrett
Bailey
Timmins
Thompson
Ryles
Hornby
Cooper
Creagh
Gasnier
Young
Sims
Cross
Byrne

And that's just first grade.

Most of those are from the Illawarra and without the Illawarra region St George would have to have resorted to the same country and QLD recruitment that the Roosters have to resort to.

In the past 5 years the Roosters have doubled the amount of teams they have in there local juniors from 32 to 68 i think it was last year. So they are doing something about it.

Glenn

First Grade
damn 5 years to get from 32 to 68 :roll: maybe in another five years they will get to where most local associations are today #-o

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The real question, what compensation should be given under the cap for years of service, forget where they came from - length of employment is more important than origin. The Sorenson Brothers are my favourite Kiwi Sharks.

So IMO length of service is more important than junior origin.

But to answer the questons

Kaz said:
I think there is a local junior and a junior. Otherwise you bought.
What areas does your team claim to be your junior base. .
Your local geographic area. Anywhere outside anyone else's area, may the best spotter win.
For me first organizied rep game and for some that is different ages.
You sign to play for first rep game even if it is just insurance.