What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The lack of loyalty

Bay56

First Grade
I've read a few posts here and elsehwhere and a common thread (excuse the pun) relates around the loss of feeling or passion in the average League supporter.

Many are stating that they are starting to enjoy watching AFL more than the NRL, and I would place myself in that category ... for the first time I've found myself enjoying any AFL game whereas in previous seasons I could only watch Collingwood.

I think there are many reasons for this disenchantment with the NRL but I have an opinion that many supporters feel cheated by the lack of loyalty shown in the game today.

I dont begrudge any player the right to change clubs for money ... afterall that is their livelihood and the main source of income in a restricted time frame .. imo the NRL has not structured an envornment where they can afford to remain loyal.

I have an instant solution to the problem which imo does not place a strain on a clubs financial situation.

... if a player stays at a club for a stipulated period (say 5years) and than decides to take a larger offer from a rival club, that rival club should have a 25% penalty placed on the sign-on fee which is taken into consideration in the clubs salary cap. The 25% fee should then be re-directed to the originating club (either monetary or salary cap consideration).

I call this the "Salary Cap Credit Scheme" (SCCS) .. bit like Carbon Credits :)

Last edited:
Many are stating that they are starting to enjoy watching AFL more than the NRL, and I would place myself in that category ... for the first time I've found myself enjoying any AFL game whereas in previous seasons I could only watch Collingwood.

WTF??? I read a lot of what is written in LU and no where have I seen anyone state that they are enjoying AFL more than League. In fact there is a specific thread in fight club labelling AFL converts as the lowest form of life and many are agreeing. That is an incorrect generalisation based on your feelings alone.

Timbo

Staff member
I am starting to agree with some of your sentiments bay.

As player loyalty drifts out of the game, supporter loyalty can only last for so long I guess.

I will always support the Raiders to the fullest but its not quite the same anymore.

Bay56

First Grade
Yet in AFL you get drafted. How is that loyal?

The AFL draft system has little to do with loyalty, or lack of ... the AFL has a father/son rule where the son of a former player can opt out of the draft and play for his fathers club (with restrictions).

We are looking at ways of improving the NRL system ... your comparison with AFL is a negative solution whence positives are required.

Bay56

First Grade
WTF??? I read a lot of what is written in LU and no where have I seen anyone state that they are enjoying AFL more than League. In fact there is a specific thread in fight club labelling AFL converts as the lowest form of life and many are agreeing. That is an incorrect generalisation based on your feelings alone.

Bury your head in the sand and eventually you'll have enough sand in your eyes not to see what is right in front of you.

Stick with the subject matter buddy.

Last edited:

ak47

Juniors
my head may turn to swans news if the raiders are on the lower end of the ladder
of late this has been an occurance the last 5-6 years with the swans going well and raiders not so
always look forward to cricket
always have an interest in soccer and a-league

but nothing will ever compare to the excitement of round 1 of the NRL and origin time

I have been overseas the last 5 weeks and have missed the so called bad reffing, which to me sounds mindblowingly sided against the green…..so my tv has survived the storm by way of my absence and the neighbours have had a peaceful month, and my liver didn’t get much work out.
Holidays are good when the goin get tuff

I sleep in my retro jersey and will get buried wearing it too

I couldnt get one rats ar*e what the afl does , it does not interest me in the slightest, no matter how bad or good my team performs, i will never have a look at alf, infact i turn the sports programs off when they do their afl wrap ups , it bores to me tears.

Bay56

First Grade
Geez hey, mention the letters AFL to some League supporters and it's WWIII ... I'm sure your average AFL supporters does not pocess the same inferiority complex.

Some may have realised the purpose of this thread is not to discuss your dislike of a rival code ... the purpose is to discuss methods the NRL may choose to instigate or address the factor of loyalty which seems to be sadly missing in the NRL, still a grass roots, blue collar worker, sport.

matt

Juniors
f**k those pies have got the wood on my swannies bay.

yes i am gay coz i like AFL ..ffs get a root peckers.

Great product going places as per usual.

oh and by the way did anyone see those wallabies the other night tri nations here we come.

paulquinn49

Bench
I'll always be League, cant get into any other sport. Except for the occcasional game of Football (A-League/Socceroos).

cooba

Juniors
The thing thats starting to get to me is the complete lack of Raiders loyality shown by the players. The instance of Zillman not even bothering to attend games once he's signed with another team. Twenty's players leaving the ground after their game and not bothering to support first grade I think the players support their money contract number one, their teamates next and the Raiders, history and what we support a distant last. Costigan is another one, I dont think he gives a rats about the Raiders as an entity. I hope you can prove me wrong Nev.

Bay56

First Grade
what f**king ever !!!

who f**king cares that you only enjoy one football code !!!!

legend

Coach
I enjoy more than one football code but AFL certainly isn't one of the ones I enjoy. It's a horrendous "sport" and ranks alongside Rugby as one of the worst team sports ever invented.

Bay56

First Grade
:lol: :lol:

f**k at times likes this I wish I had the powers of a mod :lol:

Bay56

First Grade
From here on this thread is for those narrow minded football followers with have an inferiority complex the size of Everest and who cant see past their preferred code to accept that other codes might just have a smidgeon of appeal to the more mature sports follower.

Go ahead guys ... vent your spleen here :lol:

matt

Juniors
:lol: open your mind's and release yourselves from the shackles... it is quite refreshing.

Bay56

First Grade
:lol: open your mind's and release yourselves from the shackles... it is quite refreshing.

:lol: :lol: ... that's the good thing about forums .. freedom of speech.

For the record I enjoy watching all football codes, including gridiron, although I draw the line at yawnion.

League has been my favourite code over many years, just ahead of real football (soccer for all you blind arses who dont realise that it is mainly played with your foot, hence "football"). My interest in AFL has increased this year due mainly to the fact that League now is based on a playing field as level as the Titanic sinking in the North Atlantic and the sight of a 50m pass hitting the chest of a player on the run without changing step.