What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Las Vegas Thread

Jamberoo

Juniors
This venture is highly unlikely to ever generate any cash from the USA. It is a loss leader.

But the event itself was awesome and a great start to the season, so if it costs the NRL only $2m to do it, then it is worth doing anyway. And I like the winners stay on concept. Next year Roosters v Storm and Manly v Dolphins.

emesssea

Juniors
FS1, in the Saturday evening timeslot, has an average audience of 140K.

Now considering FS1 has the rights to College Football, which averages over 500K in the timeslot, plus a number of high drawing MLB games, it shows that FS1 must have its fair share of low drawing Saturday nights.

Using the week before as an example, in the same time slot, the Women's College Basketball game between UNLV and Nevada had an average audience of 68K.

So with that info, what the NRL drew at that timeslot, for one of the non-major sports, was pretty status quo.

Now for me, the concerning part about those numbers is it does raise questions around how much growth can the NRL realistically achieve if it's locked to FS1 on a Saturday night in March? Despite the potential reach of FS1, clearly people aren't switching onto it in huge numbers then and how realistic is it for the NRL to influence that behaviour?

Ideal scenario would be that the NRL could get syndicated across the Fox network in some capacity, even if it was only into certain markets or even on delay, the numbers watching that channel is far higher.

Considering Fox & Fox Sports are owned by different companies these days, not sure how much influence the News connection could pull there though.

For perspective, Gonzaga v St Marys at 10 pm EST, a rivalry game with big implications for both teams, drew around a million viewers on ESPN. Big game but regular season college basketball isnt must see tv for many.

Also FS1 is in the backwaters of cable tv. ESPN and ESPN2 are on channels 12 and 11 respspectively in my area. FS1 is in the 60s, FS2 isnt even offered as part of the standard package.

taste2taste

Juniors
What were peoples expectations for the ratings ?

Realistically somewhere between MLS and MLR would have been ideal, about 150k, but is it really worth the effort to chase 150k ?

It's a good kick in the pants for the NRL, it's a long road and they'll have to look at different strategies if they want to get that betting revenue....oops I mean if they wannt to grow the game.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
What were peoples expectations for the ratings ?

Realistically somewhere between MLS and MLR would have been ideal, about 150k, but is it really worth the effort to chase 150k ?

It's a good kick in the pants for the NRL, it's a long road and they'll have to look at different strategies if they want to get that betting revenue....oops I mean if they wannt to grow the game.

150k is a good number. Particularly if it starts off a local comp

Munky

Coach
The NRLs lack of engagement with American sport You Tubers or podcasters is baffling.

Cover an all expenses paid trip to Vegas for a few of the big ones and let them spread the gospel of Rugby League.

Potentially Fox wouldn't allow this as the 'grass roots' personalities are a big threat to their print and TV editorial content.