What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Las Vegas Thread

Wb1234

Referee

“Where the NRL teams will be based is still being finalised, as is the venue and date for the World Club Challenge.”

why is the raiders game on so early Australian time that seems stupid

surely the women’s test match should follow the super league game then have the nrl games back to back

BuffaloRules

Coach

“Where the NRL teams will be based is still being finalised, as is the venue and date for the World Club Challenge.”

why is the raiders game on so early Australian time that seems stupid

surely the women’s test match should follow the super league game then have the nrl games back to back

Do you think why might go to 6 games in 2026?

Might be an early start for the Las Vegans

Wb1234

Referee
Do you think why might go to 6 games in 2026?

Might be an early start for the Las Vegans

nah

this format works as it’s 930 pm in England for the kick off to the super league game

Jilaroos should be next then the two nrl games on at normal times for us

this could also be a prelude to more nrl involvement in super league if things work out well

Wigan fans travel

when hull fc played a super league game at the gong that got like 3k plus pommies coming here. Involving English clubs is a good move (it was their idea they approached the arlc)

BuffaloRules

Coach
nah

this format works as it’s 930 pm in England for the kick off to the super league game

Jilaroos should be next then the two nrl games on at normal times for us

this could also be a prelude to more nrl involvement in super league if things work out well

Wigan fans travel

when hull fc played a super league game at the gong that got like 3k plus pommies coming here. Involving English clubs is a good move (it was their idea they approached the arlc)

get another super league game earlier happening so it can kick off at 7.30pm England time …

And another 10k English fans headed over

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
"Thank you to all our partners, including the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority

It probably wasn't the original intention but this is going to become a huge sports tourism asset for Rugby League, the line above hints at LV paying something for this event and as the number of travellers goes up, so do the $$$

The Great Dane

First Grade
Nobody here will admit it, but adding the two extra games to the Vegas schedule is massive mistake.

Most avid RL fans won't be interested in sticking around for 10 hours of football, so I can't imagine that many Yanks without much investment in the sport will be interested in making that kind of time investment at all. That'll lead to a patchy crowd of people only showing up to watch the match they're interested in then leaving, which will look bad on TV and make a bad impression for American audiences. It'll also make the event a much harder sell to most potential American attendees and absolutely screw the ratings in the US (and Canada?) by spreading the viewership out over a 10 hour slot (if they're all being broadcast?).

The added games will undoubtably necessitate a jump in prices as well, and frankly the two games they've added aren't going to push tickets to the target audience in AUS, NZ, and America (I couldn't give less of a f**k about the English audience). I'm sorry but next to nobody is traveling to the other side of the planet to watch a women's international or ESL, which is why they've been tacked onto the Vegas event instead of being made into their own events in the US.

If there wasn't enough demand to justify renting the venue over two days, or spreading the event over multiple venues, then there wasn't enough demand to justify adding more games full stop.

The Great Dane

First Grade

I don't understand the thinking behind having the women's test between two nrl games.

Does anyone have any idea the thinking behind it?

If they block the NRL games together the majority of the crowd would just show up for those two games, which would be a terrible look.

Putting the women's game in-between the two NRL games forces anybody who wants to watch both NRL games to sit through the Test as well, which gives it an artificial boost to it's crowd.

The ESL game being first is because it's in the worst broadcast slot in Australia. Despite Jills v Ferns being the better matchup on paper, they've chosen to include the Lionesses over the Ferns in the hopes that'll convince a larger portion of the ESL fans to stick around for that game as well.

Put simply they know that very few people are going to sit through the whole roughly 10 hour event, so they're spreading the matches out in such way to try and keep the stadium looking as full as possible for as long as possible.

BTW, the RL Lionesses sharing a name with the women's national football team (i.e. the real Lionesses) is stupid even by English RL standards. It'd be completely screwing their marketing.

final say

Juniors
Well, certainly sums up all the negatives. And all that to say " we might see some empty seats as people come and go through the day"
*note : there was 25k empty seats last time.. so if it sells out.. then there's potential a lot less empty ..

As a positive though... everyone was negative the first time....

The positives however, the potential positives: it's declared a sellout...not only the gate takings but event status that becomes something a city is willing to pay big money to host..
The UK sees a massive boost to their TV viewers ... a genuine festival of Rugby league that now covers and brings together all of the Rugby league family from around the world across genders.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Don’t see the wcc being held a few weeks before this involving Penrith and Wigan / Warrington in England that’s why
The wcc is a big deal for the poms, its a trial (in every sense of the word) for Australian clubs.

Anyone who thinks that super league is anyway near the NRL has got rocks for brains.

Wb1234

Referee
Nobody here will admit it, but adding the two extra games to the Vegas schedule is massive mistake.

Most avid RL fans won't be interested in sticking around for 10 hours of football, so I can't imagine that many Yanks without much investment in the sport will be interested in making that kind of time investment at all. That'll lead to a patchy crowd of people only showing up to watch the match they're interested in then leaving, which will look bad on TV and make a bad impression for American audiences. It'll also make the event a much harder sell to most potential American attendees and absolutely screw the ratings in the US (and Canada?) by spreading the viewership out over a 10 hour slot (if they're all being broadcast?).

The added games will undoubtably necessitate a jump in prices as well, and frankly the two games they've added aren't going to push tickets to the target audience in AUS, NZ, and America (I couldn't give less of a f**k about the English audience). I'm sorry but next to nobody is traveling to the other side of the planet to watch a women's international or ESL, which is why they've been tacked onto the Vegas event instead of being made into their own events in the US.

If there wasn't enough demand to justify renting the venue over two days, or spreading the event over multiple venues, then there wasn't enough demand to justify adding more games full stop.
Aren’t you the guy that said the dolphins will and are failing ?

and that afl is bigger than nrl in Canberra

Pippen94

First Grade

Lol

taste2taste

Juniors
Well, certainly sums up all the negatives. And all that to say " we might see some empty seats as people come and go through the day"
*note : there was 25k empty seats last time.. so if it sells out.. then there's potential a lot less empty ..

As a positive though... everyone was negative the first time....

The positives however, the potential positives: it's declared a sellout...not only the gate takings but event status that becomes something a city is willing to pay big money to host..
The UK sees a massive boost to their TV viewers ... a genuine festival of Rugby league that now covers and brings together all of the Rugby league family from around the world across genders.
I'm sure the NRL knows what they are doing and will have learnt from last year.

They'd have a significant amount of data to back up the decision.

I think the crowd will build through out the day, small crowd for game 1 and will probably peak around game 3 with the final game having alot of empty seats.

I just hope we get good games of footy, sharks and Raiders aren't exactly must watch TV !