What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Las Vegas Thread

Iamback

Coach
The NBA averages less than 2m

Averaging over 3m would make it bigger than pretty much every sport other than NFL. That's not optimism. That's delusion on the level of the afl fans that thought they'd take over China.

Some nights there are 14 NBA games on. There can be 6-7 games playing at the same time.

So of course a game will rate not that high. How many people watch the NBA total in a week

PVD is my hero. Not only are we going on a big mission to grow our market into the biggest market but committed for 5 years! Genius! You can get traction in 5 years, it's almost a perfect amount of time.
And like magic round, if it works and grows every year. We could be doing it indefinitely.
if only the leaders had the courage to stay with spike tv earlier on around 2008 but instead sold it to fox soccer. spike was the home of some small sport called mma

Maximus

Coach
The weirdest part is how much they want it to fail. It’s pretty pathetic really.

Not as pathetic as the inability to have a discussion on this forum, because anyone who doesn't think NRL is going to be the biggest sporting comp in the world is immediately written off as an afl fan. Likewise for anyone who doesn't lick Vlandys and Abdo's boots.

shewi6

Juniors
The NBA averages less than 2m

Averaging over 3m would make it bigger than pretty much every sport other than NFL. That's not optimism. That's delusion on the level of the afl fans that thought they'd take over China.
I don't believe he thinks NRL will average 3 million a game and I don't believe that you believe it, so I don't know why you're clinging on to that number.

Obviously in Australia it's fair to say that the NRL has captured 15 million people but we obviously don't average that in tv viewers. Same deal with the USA, if we can 'capture' the attention of 1% of the population, then the active followers and subcribers from that group is where the potential for revenue growth comes from.

No harm in trying, I am looking forward to the vegas event and hope it is successful going forward and does make the game big money.

Perth Red

Post Whore
RL has nothing like that, So I have no problem with trying something like this
pokies, lol

AFL will soon hit $1bill revenue. Theres still massive growth potential here before we worry about gamblers in the States in one of the toughest sports markets in the world to crack.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The weirdest part is how much they want it to fail. It’s pretty pathetic really.
Amazes me that so many sheep cant cope with a bit of critical analysis. I dont think anyone hopes it fails, sht if it makes loads of money great, I'll applaud Vlandys for his gamble. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be questioning if this is the best thing the NRl could be doing with its time and money to grow the game in Australia.

If the main goal is to get 150k subscribers to the NRl app they'd be better off targeting Europe to build an NRL fanbase in, but thats just my opinion.

mozza91

Coach
Amazes me that so many sheep cant cope with a bit of critical analysis. I dont think anyone hopes it fails, sht if it makes loads of money great, I'll applaud Vlandys for his gamble. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be questioning if this is the best thing the NRl could be doing with its time and money to grow the game in Australia.

If the main goal is to get 150k subscribers to the NRl app they'd be better off targeting Europe to build an NRL fanbase in, but thats just my opinion.
There is 0% chance that you’ll applaud PVL if it’s a success. You’ll either change the goalposts or ignore it completely.

Wanting the game to succeed doesn’t make you a sheep. Blindly approving of every decision does (as does death riding every decision the game makes)

I’m honestly neither here nor there with PVL. He’s done some good things and some bad things. The comments about New Zealand today for example were completely moronic and ridiculous for a leader of the game to make. But showing some initiative and trying to build the game on a global scale should be applauded in my book, as should the way they’ve gone about promoting it.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach

Because Australia is a very small population on the World scale

Iamback

Coach
pokies, lol

AFL will soon hit $1bill revenue. Theres still massive growth potential here before we worry about gamblers in the States in one of the toughest sports markets in the world to crack.

And when they hit the peak?

How much is too much for Fox/FTA pay here?

Not sure too many on here would pay $100 a month to watch footy.

RL needs either a big economy or Oil money coming into the game

Not just for the NRL but it would be good to get some rich guy to chuck Fiji or PNG $10m to come and play tests.

US, UAE or somewhere like that

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
And when they hit the peak?

How much is too much for Fox/FTA pay here?

Not sure too many on here would pay $100 a month to watch footy.

RL needs either a big economy or Oil money coming into the game

Not just for the NRL but it would be good to get some rich guy to chuck Fiji or PNG $10m to come and play tests.

US, UAE or somewhere like that
Clearly we are a long way off that yet. Our revenue is $600mill, no reason just domestically that couldn’t be $1billion with better leadership, investments and strategy here. Sure when we’ve maxed out Australian and nz revenue streams then take on the much harder gambles like usa but we aren’t close to that scenario yet.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Clearly we are a long way off that yet. Our revenue is $600mill, no reason just domestically that couldn’t be $1billion with better leadership, investments and strategy here. Sure when we’ve maxed out Australian and nz revenue streams then take on the much harder gambles like usa but we aren’t close to that scenario yet.
Why is it an either or?

Yeah the NRL should be investing much more heavily in growth here in Australia, but the smart business would explore any and every opportunity as it presented itself, not turn them away because they weren't part of the plan.

Iamback

Coach

Because it isn't going to a quick thing to get traction in the US, It is 10-20 year process. You can't wait until it is dead then go over.

Vegas with the 13% of revenue spent on development here is doing both things

Iamback

Coach
Why is it an either or?

Yeah the NRL should be investing much more heavily in growth here in Australia, but the smart business would explore any and every opportunity as it presented itself, not turn them away because they weren't part of the plan.

If we are looking on the development side of it. $78m is being put aside for junior development from $600m revenue.

It isn't like that side has been stopped to fund Vegas