What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Las Vegas Thread

jim_57

Staff member
You could do the NRL double header and the WCC (Premiers get the first round bye) for 3 games.

3 games & 6+ hours starts to get a bit much for new fans. Although whether it’s WCC or an SL game adding an English team or 2 would probably add at least a few thousand to the crowd and some atmosphere, especially if they’re given their own section(s).

Kurt Angle

First Grade
I dunno if it's too much of a reach, but part of the (amazing) appeal has been Vegas itself. The fan travelling there for a God almighty, wallet busting experience, but taking it all in

Maybe build around that.

Imagine if Penrith vs Wigan was in Vegas last Sunday, a bunch of local stuff during the week and the NRL round 1 games a week later.

I'd be really keen to showcase the women's game, some of the Californian clubs run women's teams too. NFL has no women's teams.

Maybe the NRL plays Friday and Saturday, the filler being women's, Super League, a national 9's final, etc

7 days in Vegas and more RL than you can poke a stick at....

It would be very short on my bucket list that's for sure

Last edited:

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Dunno?

How many BJ's did you give before the Barca/Milan game?
PR is big on supplying free tickets for Vegas games..

I can only imagine a true professional like him said "how many tickets will be required from 'normal BJ' activity?"... and perhaps he trialled this with Barca/Milan.

Waking up the next day, and obviously after leaving the clinic, he would have thought "right, now I know that's the benchmark, I know what is required for 'extraordinary BJ activity's to beat 39,000".

Sure enough, the NRL beat 39,000.

I think we owe a round of applause for our favourite BJ merchant.

A real trooper.IMG_20240303_205734.jpg

wain

Juniors
https://www.foxnews.com/media/natio...season-american-soil-first-time-las-vegas-fs1

this is why I will always despise rugby union. Hijacking a league event like this with local teams. Imagine if league did this…would be laughed at by union and afl fans.

its also why while I understand that there isn’t the code wars amongst players in the USA, we still need to play hardball because union governing bodies will still push hard.

i also get annoyed with all the Aussie journalists who say Americans don’t get it cos they call it rugby. Up until 5 years ago, union wasn’t called rugby in Australia. They’ve hijacked the name and the media let them by continuing to call it rugby, instead of rugby union.
grinds my gears!

I will never understand why RL is so bad at branding itself re its name.

we call ourselves Rugby Competition and we are surprised when people cant tell the difference between us and Rugby.

It wouldnt be that hard to fix, but we will never do it

https://www.foxnews.com/media/natio...season-american-soil-first-time-las-vegas-fs1

this is why I will always despise rugby union. Hijacking a league event like this with local teams. Imagine if league did this…would be laughed at by union and afl fans.

its also why while I understand that there isn’t the code wars amongst players in the USA, we still need to play hardball because union governing bodies will still push hard.

i also get annoyed with all the Aussie journalists who say Americans don’t get it cos they call it rugby. Up until 5 years ago, union wasn’t called rugby in Australia. They’ve hijacked the name and the media let them by continuing to call it rugby, instead of rugby union.
grinds my gears!

Simple fact is they won the marketing war for the Rugby name and we are refusing to leave their shadow.

I dont even think we need to drop the word, just get some acronym to identify the sport as a whole (like MMA)

RLC Football or something. The words dont even matter, just the using the acronym for branding would be a huge difference

I will never understand why RL is so bad at branding itself re its name.

we call ourselves Rugby Competition and we are surprised when people cant tell the difference between us and Rugby.

It wouldnt be that hard to fix, but we will never do it
I don’t get it. This article talks about rugby, and shows the Russell Crowe explainer; wouldn’t you be a bit more worried about it if you were rugby union? People reading this article are more like to consume their ‘rugby’ content on FS1 watching the NRL or watching the Crowe explainer than ever getting to a suburban union game.

Last edited:
Simple fact is they won the marketing war for the Rugby name and we are refusing to leave their shadow.

I dont even think we need to drop the word, just get some acronym to identify the sport as a whole (like MMA)

RLC Football or something. The words dont even matter, just the using the acronym for branding would be a huge difference
We lost it here in Oz where it doesn’t matter (becasuse people understand the difference). We have a chance to claim it in the US.

3 games & 6+ hours starts to get a bit much for new fans. Although whether it’s WCC or an SL game adding an English team or 2 would probably add at least a few thousand to the crowd and some atmosphere, especially if they’re given their own section(s).
You are right. I do think the WCC should be included; would make a lot of sense logistically and to elevate that competition.

Dark Corner

Juniors
I dunno if it's too much of a reach, but part of the (amazing) appeal has been Vegas itself. The fan travelling there for a God almighty, wallet busting experience, but taking it all in

Maybe build around that.

Imagine if Penrith vs Wigan was in Vegas last Sunday, a bunch of local stuff during the week and the NRL round 1 games a week later.

I'd be really keen to showcase the women's game, some of the Californian clubs run women's teams too. NFL has no women's teams.

Maybe the NRL plays Friday and Saturday, the filler being women's, Super League, a national 9's final, etc

7 days in Vegas and more RL than you can poke a stick at....

It would be very short on my bucket list that's for sure
I would like to see the NRL get a hotel package deal with VFM meal and drinks deals ?