What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The last game!.

theicemandanno

Juniors
I think I was at Kenny's last game (I was only young) and the only thing I can remember is that Parra were packing down into a scrum (Kenny was at lock) and over the sound system came that cornball ad that started "Hi......Im Brett Kenny" (I forget the rest). The crowd cracked up.

Another thing.....did the Guru finish his career at the Tigers? I ahve a weird image in my mind of Grother playing for the Tigers in head gear.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Grothe retired from the game in 1990 due to persistant injuries. However in 91 Balmain had approached Grothe to make a comeback. He agreed to join the club under the priviso that he would get medical clearence. Unfortunatly he failed that test due to the fact [don't quote me on this] that his knee was shot. He retired for good after that.

miănfèinàn

Juniors
Can people remember when legends of Parramatta played their last game.

Ray Price - 1986 Grandfinal
Mick Cronin - 1986 Grandfinal
Peter Sterling - 1992 v Wests
Brett Kenny - Was it last game in '93?
Eric Grothe - ???
Steve Ella - ???
Paul Taylor - ???
Steve Edge - 1984 Grand Final
To be exact:
  • Eric Grothe: Round 16, 1989 v Manly (ironically originally thought to be Sterling’s last game as he was to play for Leeds in 1989/1990)!
  • Steve Ella: Round 22, 1988 v Western Suburbs (he was still listed in 1989 but injured)
  • Paul Taylor: Round 17, 1989, v Western Suburbs
I have actually known these for a long time and am surprised these haven’t been filled in!
ah the memories!. Answer this question which still makes me scratch my head to this day!.

Why did the Eels go downhill after losing Price and Cronin???. They still had Sterlo, Bert, Zip Zip, Guru and co. Sure those players were heading towards the end of their career, but wtf!!!!.
The problem, as I (no expert) have read it was that Parramatta spent too much money trying to keep Kenny and Sterling - along with other even more injury-plagued top-liners like Grothe, Ella, Geoff Bugden and Peter Wynn - that with the salary cap there was a huge conflict regarding which of their old heroes and their powerful junior ranks to keep.

This salary cap prevented them from entering the market for top-liners and by the time Sterling effectively ended his career with the second shoulder injury in the last round of 1990, Parramatta was finding it quite impossible to attract top-line players. The only one the even tried to get was Mario Fenech (who would have dealt with their worst weakness of all, dummy half authority) but he signed very quickly with North Sydney. By the time Kenny and twice potential Kangaroo candidate Mark Laurie retired in 1993 and 1992, Parramatta was regarded as totally uncompetitive and quality players would never go there: they had only the awfully injury-prone (he never achieved one injury-free season in his career) centre David Woods to compete with the NSWRL elite.

Last edited:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
"Classic game. As I recall it was a wooden spoon playoff, and Bert belted Martin Marsella and sparked an allni brawl. At one stage I thought Bert was going toe to toe with Paul Sironen. The ref's comments (Edie Ward?)after the game was that Bert deserved to be sent off, but he just didn't have the heart!"

One of the most intense games i'd seen up untill that point....it wasn't exactly a wooden spoon play off....Parra finished that year in 11th while Balmain finishes 14th or 15th??.....parra won 9 games that year which equated to 18 points (no bye's that year).

Your 100% right though Brett Kenny should of been sent off....he started the brawl by putting a good one on Marsella's chin...very good hit actually!!

It was a great game.....we scored the first try but Balmian responded to lead for memory 12-6 at half time.....then after half time a rampaging Scotty Mahon put us back level with a great try.....and then Michael Erickson dodging and weaving set up i think Mc Phail in the corner.....at that point we lead 22-12 but?? Balmain hit back to make it 22-16 and threw absolutley everything at Parra in the final 10 minutes....they where hanging on barley.....Graham Lyons & Brasher where making breaks left right & centre but Scotty at the back pulled of some stunning try savers.....we eventually won!!

Great to see the 16,000 tyrn up for the game and the fire works at the end!!

' took my young bloke, and we sat in the Cronin stand. I was glad we won, because earlier in the year I took him to see Parra and this legend called Brett Kenny. Easts flogged us 42-6, but the 6 came from a Kenny intercept at least!"

I think you made a mistake dude.... Parra only played Easts once that year at the SFS and we beat them 18-2 but Kenny did score a try from a intercept that game!!, we lost 42-6 to the Bulldogs that year in front of a record crowd at Belmore but?? Kenny didn't play that game.....he actually made his return from injury that year in the clash against Souths at Parra.....we lost 15-2...Mark carroll slotted a 30 metre sideline field goal before half time :roll: , im guessing the only game it could have been was when we lost to Norths 36-8 at North Sydney oval.....Kenny scored an intercept try and as he wen't over to score he gave ex Eel Glenn Liddiard a cheeky smile.....like "what's wrong Glenn....can't you catch an old fellow" :lol: :lol:

[youtube]Jy-NHKIL5po[/youtube]

rabbitohs95

Bench
Eric Grothe only played about a dozen game in 89...before retiring at the end of that year!!

Steve Ella retired also at the end of 89.....he didn't play in 89 due to horrific shoulder problems!!

Paul Taylor also played his last game with Parra in 89.....he was dumped at the end of the year and wen't to Penrith and enjoyed moderate succes that year with the Panthers

Peter Wynn retired at the end of 90....Geoff Bugden was on contract with Parra in 90 but didn't play due to injuries

Neil Hunt wen't to the Gold Coast in 88

Tony Chalmers wen't to Balmain in 89

Mick Delroy wen't to Easts in 89

Michael Mosely & Steve Sharp played with Parra in 89 but both spent more time in reserves then Firsts!!

Assuming you've seen him play, was he any good? Obviously his son Justin is running around for us, very erratic player but very skillful.

strider

Post Whore
Neil Hunt was a good player. He had good size but I don't think was particularly fast for a winger .... he was a good goal kicker and had a deadly side step