What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Mayor - Parra's greatest.

Stagger eel

Staff member
forward pass said:
I would like to raise the following question relating to this thread - Why is a statue being built of Ray Price at Parramatta Stadium??

No disrespect to Pricey - he is a legend and one of my all time favourites. But when the stadium was built, both Thornett and Cronin were considered more worthy of Grandstand names. What has changed? Have they played poorly since then? Have they tarnished their reputation? I don't get it.

I would have thought Thornett, Cronin or Sterlo would have been ahead of Price in terms of immortalising them in bronze. (or whatever material Fitzy decides would be best).

Again - no disrespect to Pricey, but I can't understand the decision.

believe it or not, Fitzy raised the same issue at the AGM, remember the statue isn't the idea of the football club but the trust without the consultation of Ovo and Fitzy.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
parra pete said:
Twiz, sorry to correct you, but you may be thinking of a scoreline St George put against Parra.
The game you are referring to Parra ONLY won 19-8 (Ken Foord, Mike Jackson Brian Hambly tries Peter Matson 5 goals) St George 8 (Kevin Ryan, John Greaves tries, Brian Graham goal) at Cumberland on July 15, 1962 in front of 18,522 jam packed. "The era of great players and 'barbed wire' was close at hand.
Parramatta didn't put a fifty plus scoreline against any team until the eighties...

I have that score stuck in my mind for some reason, I was pretty young, but we definatley won

parra pete

Referee
It may have felt like a 51-12 scoreline..:lol: It was good to get one against St George. I can remember the match like it was yesterday.
I worked with a lot of St George supporters in Sydney at the time - including Monty Porter who played in the front row for the Dragons in that match.
I paid out on the supporters - but, never said a word to Monty! :badgrin: (PS..I wasn't game too - I wasn't cheeky and was taught to respect my elders - I was just 16, and a regular contributer to the 50-50 Letterettes in the Daily Telegraph under Parra Pete. I may have given him a serve in one of those!!!)

fish eel

Immortal
Avenger said:
Enough of that sh*t. Ray Price is the greatest as the latest poll showed. ;)

You just cannot argue with the majority.

Absolutely.

That's why Kevin Rudd is THE man ;-)

The Colonel

Immortal
While a statue of Pricey would be well deserved I think the bust of the 13 players named in the Eels Greatest Ever would be a more appropriate venture to undertake IMO. It would be an expensive venture no doubt.

That said Laurie Daley has a statue at Bruce Stadium and you could argue that players like Stuart, Meninga, Belcher and Clyde would be just as deserved for such an honour.

While Thornett may be arguably one of our greatest I think Price is probably more synonymous with the Eels due to his playing years involving the Golden Era years of 1976-1986.

Thornett, Cronin, Sterling and Kenny already have the honour of a stand being named after them. While Ray was to have a suite named after him I doubt any of the players above would begrudge a statue in his honour.

parra pete

Referee
It is a statue for the Stadium, and The Mayor never actually played a competition match there.
If it was still the old Cumberland I would be pushing hard for the statue to be of the Mayor.

Perhaps they (The Trust) could name the telephone booths at the ground after the other legends - as you often hear on the phone, - "Hello, statue?"

Stagger eel

Staff member
Natalie's Daddy said:
I still like my idea of one out the front and 4 in the corners just outside the sideline fence. Maybe at a smaller scale.

I'd personally be happy if we surrounded the stadium with every HOF member...but at this stage they may be flat out getting Pricey off the ground.

parra pete

Referee
Why not a levy of $1 per head per home game to pay for it..I'm sure Parra fans would not object, and we don't have to tell the visitors.

Stagger eel

Staff member
parra pete said:
Why not a levy of $1 per head per home game to pay for it..I'm sure Parra fans would not object, and we don't have to tell the visitors.

as it is the club have lost money on a number of home games last year, I don't even think a 1$ levy would go down very well.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
parra pete said:
It may have felt like a 51-12 scoreline..:lol: It was good to get one against St George. I can remember the match like it was yesterday.
I worked with a lot of St George supporters in Sydney at the time - including Monty Porter who played in the front row for the Dragons in that match.
I paid out on the supporters - but, never said a word to Monty! :badgrin: (PS..I wasn't game too - I wasn't cheeky and was taught to respect my elders - I was just 16, and a regular contributer to the 50-50 Letterettes in the Daily Telegraph under Parra Pete. I may have given him a serve in one of those!!!)

Here ya go Pete, he's another memory tester.

I've never looked any scores up, I just go on what I could remember, don't even know if I got the years right.

http://www.eraofthebiff.com/p-97.html

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
I'd personally be happy if we surrounded the stadium with every HOF member...but at this stage they may be flat out getting Pricey off the ground.

I have to say though, brilliant move by the trust to hit the footy club for half the cost. Takes the heat off them, and if it doesnt get off the ground we can all blame fitzy :lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
I have to say though, brilliant move by the trust to hit the footy club for half the cost. Takes the heat off them, and if it doesnt get off the ground we can all blame fitzy :lol:

and his not happy about it I can tell you...

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
and his not happy about it I can tell you...

I can imagine. Brilliant stuff from the trust and they've painted him into a corner

If you go back to the original thread announcing the statue - it was the first thing I picked up on. :lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
I can imagine. Brilliant stuff from the trust and they've painted him into a corner

If you go back to the original thread announcing the statue - it was the first thing I picked up on. :lol:

I'd say we haven't heard the last of it, he'll sign off on it but will carry on like a pork chop about it.

Bigfella

Coach
LOL

No doubt getting revenge because he probably put them up to it off the record in the first place...

parra pete

Referee
Twizzle said:
Here ya go Pete, he's another memory tester.

I've never looked any scores up, I just go on what I could remember, don't even know if I got the years right.

http://www.eraofthebiff.com/p-97.html

Thanks for that Twiz. Beautiful, some good reading there. I particularly like the comment by Peter Carver from Cessnock. Thanks for bringing that website to my attention.
Actually, Parra beat the South Africans 39-18 NOT the Poms on that afternoon, Tuesday July 30, 1963. I took half a day off from work and was there for it.
I can't remember things that happened last week, but I can remember , as clear as a bell, games and football personalities from the sixties. That era certainly made a huge impression on me.
I have just about completed a book that I am writing (for local consumption) on my experiences in town over the past 41 years, and I am amazed at the things that I can remember. I have written twenty chapters from memory, recalling incidents I found funny and some of the characters I have met along the way.
I was going to leave it at 20 - but I think I have another ten or so chapters left in me as I haven't touched on my memories over a wide range of sports as a participant, administrator, spectator and journalist.
Does anyone know why we can go back so far, yet can't recall the immediate past?
Is it to do with being an old goat and trying to recpature your youth?

"You know when you are getting old. First you forget names, then you forget faces, then you forget to do up your fly, then you forget to undo it."

carson

Juniors
parra pete said:
Thanks for that Twiz. Beautiful, some good reading there. I particularly like the comment by Peter Carver from Cessnock. Thanks for bringing that website to my attention.
Actually, Parra beat the South Africans 39-18 NOT the Poms on that afternoon, Tuesday July 30, 1963. I took half a day off from work and was there for it.
I can't remember things that happened last week, but I can remember , as clear as a bell, games and football personalities from the sixties. That era certainly made a huge impression on me.
I have just about completed a book that I am writing (for local consumption) on my experiences in town over the past 41 years, and I am amazed at the things that I can remember. I have written twenty chapters from memory, recalling incidents I found funny and some of the characters I have met along the way.
I was going to leave it at 20 - but I think I have another ten or so chapters left in me as I haven't touched on my memories over a wide range of sports as a participant, administrator, spectator and journalist.
Does anyone know why we can go back so far, yet can't recall the immediate past?
Is it to do with being an old goat and trying to recpature your youth?

"You know when you are getting old. First you forget names, then you forget faces, then you forget to do up your fly, then you forget to undo it."

I thought that if you could remember the sixties then you weren't really there!!!

parra pete

Referee
carson said:
I thought that if you could remember the sixties then you weren't really there!!!

:lol: - I think it is worse for young people in the City now, than it was then.
To quote the late John Denver "Thank God I'm a Country Boy"

Latest posts