The MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sport and Pastimes' started by Fufu Andronez, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Liddell

Liddell Juniors

Khabib didn’t land a punch on anyone.

Connor punched Khabib’s trainer first when they were both up on the fence. He’ll be in just as much trouble.

2. BuderusIsaBeast

BuderusIsaBeast Juniors

Genuine question, if Khabib does get a suspension from the Nevada atheltic commission does that only apply in Nevada? How does a suspension impact him in other states or even other countries?

3. Game_Breaker

Game_Breaker First Grade

Let’s call a spade a spade
    He didnt just win, he dominated Conor

If there is a rematch, he won’t be taking much smack

Eelementary and Smack like this.
  4. Smack

Smack First Grade

He landed one on the potato :^)

[​IMG]

Liddell and Eelementary like this.
  5. Eelementary

Eelementary Immortal

Lol I know he wants that reaction, and he gets it from me!

I get that he's a very good fighter, but when he loses, I'm happy.

Frank Mir was my favourite fighter - heavyweight with knockout power, and a real submission threat...what's not to like?

Then he started carrying on like a twat, and he lost my support.

McGregor is a fine stand-up fighter, but I've never liked how he carries on, personally.

Putting alcohol in front of Khabib was so disrespectful, imo - people laugh it off at, "That's McGregor for you!", but I think he crossed a line.

Showmanship is one thing - carrying on like that is another.

6. Game_Breaker

Game_Breaker First Grade

He called him a ‘backward merkin’ for not drinking
    Called his dad a coward
    And brought up chechnya‘s war for some reason

It’s one thing to promote the match and be disrespectful to Khabib but he definitely crossed the line by bringing family into it, laughing at a painful war and mocking his religion

Bronco18, Eelementary and Fire like this.
  7. ebbedfred

ebbedfred Bench

Basically, most other states will uphold that suspension, but more importantly the UFC will regardless. If they ignore it and take Khabib overseas to let him fight it will only annoy the NSAC which is not good for the UFC as they are probably the most important athletic commision to keep onside.

BuderusIsaBeast likes this.
  8. Game_Breaker

Game_Breaker First Grade

McGregor is also being investigated by the NSAC after they realised he threw the first punch on Khabibs crew

umina panther likes this.
  9. Fire

Fire First Grade

10. shiznit

shiznit Coach

How f**king great did Izzy look vs Brunson.

The kids legit as hell imo....

Gotta say though I’m super conflicted about him vs Rob...

I love Izzy... he has a style... or a flair... he’s got a real moxie or arrogance about him which is rare for a NZ athlete... It’s probably his Nigerian roots... it’s great to see...

Too many of our combat sports athletes are nice guys... like Joseph Parker and David Tua.... this kid is hot shit... and he ain’t scared to tell everyone... :joy::joy:

He’s just sooo exciting to watch... striking at such a high, high level.

The thing with Rob though... he’s Whanau... surely i cant go against family.... :joy::joy:

11. shiznit

shiznit Coach

And something else I was thinking after watching Jacare KO Weidman...

How f**king crazy is the speed that the sport is evolving...

It seriously seems like yesterday we were talking about how Weidman & Rockhold were the next generation of the MW division and the likes of Anderson, Vitor, Hendo & Bisping we’re going to get stomped out by Weidman, Rockhold and co...

While we weren’t wrong about Anderson and the like being past it... how crazy is it that we are seriously talking like Weidman is probably done after this loss... and Rockhold is struggling to stay healthy....

Now we have another generation coming through with Adesanya & Costa and the like...

The rate of change is just brutal...

12. Fufu Andronez

Fufu Andronez First Grade

Yeah there's always someone younger and faster out there. Plus these blokes see the levels that the silvas, rockholds, bispings etc set and they have a bar to work up towards and pass. It's amazing stuff.

Also I gotta have Bobby knuckles. As hit as Israel is right now, whittaker is a legitimate killer and is still serially underrated by the yanks imo. Has passed every test.

13. Fufu Andronez

Fufu Andronez First Grade

Bit off topic but anyone see the latest re Mayweather's next bout?

Vsing the Rizin featherweight champ, a 20 year old killer Tenshin Nasukawa. Not sure what's to be gained tbh and feel like it might not even go ahead.. Kinda feel like it's a negotiation tactic with the actual fight he is after..

14. shiznit

shiznit Coach

I think Stylebender is a terrible match up for Rob.

Rob’s wrestling is f**king AMAZING considering where he’s come from... but it’s really all defensive wrestling... aimed to keep the fight standing where he can turn the fight into a striking battle.

The problem for Rob is as good as his striking is... I think Stylebender is better.

It’s dangerous as hell having to keep the fight standing against him.

If you look at all the guys rob has beaten... none of them were real high level strikers.

- Yoel primarily a wrestler and rudimentary striker who’s explosive enough to hurt you in the stand up if you’re not careful.

- Jacare similar to Yoel but obviously a BJJ legend.

- Brunson a wrestler with a bit of power but sloppy stand up.

- Tavares an all rounder but not a super striker

- Uriah Hall a decent striker but no where near the level of Stylebender.

The last high level striker he’s fought is Wonderboy. And we all remember how that fight ended up.

Stylistically I think Izzy would be terrible for him.

15. ebbedfred

ebbedfred Bench

If you look at it the other way, I think Rob is a bad matcup for Izzy. Against a pure Wrestler, Izzy can do enough to avoid getting taken down and then light them up on the feet. Rob on the other hand, can at least hang with Izzy on the feet if he has to, but can wrestle him when he can, if he doesn't get him down he's not in as much trouble as a pure wrestler.

I would say Izzy is a better striker, but Rob is way more well rounded, but an intriguing match up nevertheless. I actually don't think Izzy should get an immediate title shot. I think he needs to beat a top 5 guy first, although some suggesting he could build his name by beating Anderson Silva. Either way, I think 7-9 months is too long for him to sit on the shelf, get him on the Melbourne card on the Whittaker vs Kelvin undercard.

I feel sorry for Weidman after the weekend. He has lost 4 out of his last 5, but he was winning against Jacare and got cracked, he was winning against Yoel and got cracked, he was winning (or at least right in it) against Rockhold and he threw a crazy spin kick and got taken down which changed the fight. Not sure where he goes from here, I'd move to 205 if I was him, much easier weight cut and a much, MUCH shorter que for a title shot. Basically, call out Anthony Smith, win that and get a title shot, that division is sooooo weak after Jones and Gus, which is funny, because it doesn't seem that long ago it was the deepest divison by a long way.

Very happy to see Alex Volkanovski get a fight with Chad Mendes, that will be an awesome fight on a stacked card!

16. shiznit

shiznit Coach

I think the easiest way i look at it...

If you were to rate them as strikers...

You have the guys with not a lot of technical ability but hellish power...

Brunson - 4
    Romero - 5
    Weidman - 5
    Jacare - 5

Next you have the good strikers who have a clear advantage against most on the feet.. although still susceptible to getting caught by the level of strikers in the previous group.

Rockhold - 7
    Whittaker - 7

Then you have the elite strikers... these are the guys who the guys in the previous two groups just won’t be able to beat in a straight stand up fight... thankfully for the bottom group the wrestling aspect evens it up.

Till - 8.5
    Adesanya - 9.5
    Wonderboy - 9.5

It’s the worst possible match up imaginable for Whittaker.

The problem for Rob is while he’s a more well rounded fighter... he’s absolutely no threat as a wrestler to the top strikers.

His wrestling is brilliant against the lower group... that group is the group who use their strong grappling to compromise the striking of the higher 2 groups. But as his defensive wrestling is so strong it forces the lower group to fight in an area he has a clear advantage.

The problem against the elite strikers is he’s almost no threat wrestling them. He almost exclusively uses his wrestling defensively to keep the fight standing so it allows the elite strikers to fight completely free of any worry about being taken down.

Where a guy like Izzy or Wonderboy would have to fight almost at 60% because they have to protect themselves from
    being taken down against a strong offensive grappler.

You let these guys go 100% with next to no worry about wrestling... you get Whittaker vs Wonderboy... that was the last time Rob fought a match up like that.

He got absolutely destroyed by Wonderboy.

I think for Izzy... his tough matchup would be Yoel, Weidman and to a lesser extent Gastelum.

Guys who can force the strikers to worry about the takedown so much that holes appear in the stand up. Ie what Woodley did to Till and even Wonderboy.

17. shiznit

shiznit Coach

Also I love me some Alex the great... he’s been working his striking with Izzy and Dan Hooker... he’s come in massively in that department...

18. umina panther

umina panther Coach

Today's fights were f**king insane.

ebbedfred and Fire like this.
  19. ebbedfred

ebbedfred Bench

Loved seeing Cowboy get up.

The main event was an awesome fight with an unbelievable finish, absolutely crazy! Gotta feel for Zombie losing like that, but that was just incredible to see!

20. umina panther

umina panther Coach

All the stopping to shake hands f**ked him up I think. Great fight though

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018