What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The MMA Thread

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I think think Izzy is going to make Jan look stupid... that’s no disrespect to Jan... he’s worthy of his success.

but Izzy is just on another level striking wise. That’s not to say Jan couldn’t catch him and knock him out cold... but when your gameplan revolves around knocking Izzy out with a big shot I reckon you are in trouble... because your dealing with a guy who has fought against that style from MW to HW.

Jan needs to grapple him... use his size advantage on Izzy IMO... otherwise your just fighting in his wheelhouse. That’s why I think Robert will always struggle to beat Izzy. He’s a defensive wrestler who uses his wrestling to keep the fight standing which is his strength. But Izzy is on about 5 different levels to Rob when it comes to striking.

Which is crazy because Rob is one of the best IMO.
Agreed Izzy is on another level but I think there is something to be said for the size difference between izzy and some one who probably has to cut down from a natural 230 ish pounds to 205.

Pretty lucky for Jan though. First title defense is red panty night for him.

Valheru

Coach
Jan completely dominant in a clear unanimous decision victory.

4 rounds to 1 including a 10-8 round.

Well there goes Jones v Adesenya. I can't see why Jones would ever take the fight now.

Adesenya's star takes a big fall. The dude just doesn't have the power to be in the LHW division and if he does want to remain active in the division he should have to beat a few contenders before another title shot.

He is still a stud at MW but he won't be defending that for a while, he copped a pounding. The Whittaker fight needs to happen again IMO providing Whittaker takes care of Costa.

Wizardman

First Grade
Jan completely dominant in a clear unanimous decision victory.

4 rounds to 1 including a 10-8 round.

Well there goes Jones v Adesenya. I can't see why Jones would ever take the fight now.

Adesenya's star takes a big fall. The dude just doesn't have the power to be in the LHW division and if he does want to remain active in the division he should have to beat a few contenders before another title shot.

He is still a stud at MW but he won't be defending that for a while, he copped a pounding. The Whittaker fight needs to happen again IMO providing Whittaker takes care of Costa.

Pounding? He did lose convincingly....but I never thought he took a beating.

That fight once again shows that size does matter. The power from Jan and his size eventually took its toll on Adesenya as the fight went on. Adesenya is clearly too small for that division but will continue to be the boss of the middleweights.

Jones v Adensya is very far from happening at this point.

Wizardman

First Grade
Anybody see that Yan fight?

That knee was clearly illegal from Yan and deserved to have been dq'ed from that alone. It is a sad state of affairs that Sterling had to display some B grade acting skills to get the win. He would have absolutely been hurt from the knee and have had every right not to continue......but he certainly did an acting job to strongly sell that the fight should not continue. Ref should have dq'ed Yan straight away.

Valheru

Coach
Pounding? He did lose convincingly....but I never thought he took a beating.

That fight once again shows that size does matter. The power from Jan and his size eventually took its toll on Adesenya as the fight went on. Adesenya is clearly too small for that division but will continue to be the boss of the middleweights.

Jones v Adensya is very far from happening at this point.

By pounding i mean he went 5 rounds and copped some hits. I doubt he will be fighting before September at minimum which lines up well for Whittaker if he beats Costa.

Valheru

Coach
Anybody see that Yan fight?

That knee was clearly illegal from Yan and deserved to have been dq'ed from that alone. It is a sad state of affairs that Sterling had to display some B grade acting skills to get the win. He would have absolutely been hurt from the knee and have had every right not to continue......but he certainly did an acting job to strongly sell that the fight should not continue. Ref should have dq'ed Yan straight away.

Definite DQ but the rematch should be booked ASAP.

Yan was tagging him regularly in rounds 3 and 4 prior to the DQ and was well on his way to victory.

Corey Sandhagen would be filthy as his shot has to be put off now.

panthersam

Juniors
Although Jan definitely won the fight I thought it was pretty even up until rounds 4 and 5 with the takedowns but even then Jan didn’t do a huge amount of damage, absolutely no way any of the round should have been a 10-8 that’s for sure.

I think Issy could definitely still be a force in the LHW division but he has so many advantages by fighting at middleweight. Definitely think the Jones fight won’t be happening anytime soon.

With the Yan/Aljimain fight I think it’s pretty hard to say he was acting or whatever, we have no idea how he was actually feeling at the time - and the knee was blatantly illegal so why should Aljo have to continue with the fight even if he was compromised by even 2% after that knee? If he chooses to continue and gets destroyed in the remainder of the fight then it does absolutely nothing for him and puts him in a much worse position going forward. Whether the title should change hands because of it I’m not sure, but as mentioned above Aljo had every right not to continue in the fight.

Amanda Nunes, just wow! Who knows what happens from here with her, it almost feels like she fights in exhibition fights that’s how easy every opponent is for her lol

Valheru

Coach
Whittaker belts gastelum in a 5 round to nil decision.

The only direction available for this middleweight division now is Adesenya v Whittaker 2.

Valheru

Coach
That PPV was something else and worth every cent.

Title fight was amazing. Volk beat the shit out of him for most for the contest but Ortega is one tough mother f**ker and nearly got submissions twice. I have no idea how he got out of that Guillotine, that was as deep as you will get. The Triangle didn't look quite as deep but he was still in massive danger there. The ref could have ended the contest towards the end of the 3rd IMO, he gave Ortega a tonne of leeway there.

It was a weird fight week build by Volk and I don't think he will go down that track again and he said as much afterwards. They had banter on TUF but it is pretty well known they get along fine and then Volk went right at him fight week and you could tell Ortega was genuinely stunned. Volk said post fight he was trying to get in his head and felt silly for saying some of the things he said.

I think we will see this fight again down the track.

Looks like Max will be up next again unless he loses to Yair.

Valheru

Coach
If you haven't seen the UFC 268 press conference, do yourself a favour, Colby at his best.

To be fair to Usman he knows it is all an act and stays quite calm.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Usman played his role perfectly in that press conference. Let Colby take the lead.

The Colby and Zhang interaction was pretty cool too.

Can't wait to get a pub in Sydney and watch this one and the Canelo fight too. Doesn't get much better.

Latest posts