What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The myth of the 'big 5' Sydney clubs

Bumble

First Grade
Bumble, are you referring to 2012 season or 2013 season?

In 2012 game, a massive number of fans at the Roosters v Souths game were Souths fans. I would say your 65% figure was pretty bloody accurate.

However in 2013 it was probably closer to 30% at most. Easts fans massively outnumbered Souths fans for this seasons opener.

I have to say, I was flabbergasted, but I was at both games and this season Roosters fans were in a massive majority.

Same with the Anzac game that has traditionally seen us outnumbered at home. In previous years Roosters fans were well under 50% of the total crowd, but this year the crowd was 60% - 40% in our favour at the WORST. At best it was 70% v 30% in favour of Easts fans

I was pretty much using hyperbole to make my point (and more importantly, wind up Kungl) and you are right - there were a lot more Easts fans there this year than last. I'm more frustrated about the Good Friday crowd being an away game than anything!

And yep I went to the ANZAC game this year as I usually do, and this was the first year I've thought your fans outnumbered Illawarra's. Granted, they had about zero fans left by the 55 minute mark..

BunniesMan

Immortal
I've sat down and thought about this some more. The following is based on support solely in Sydney. Going on national support I'd have Souths and Dragons ahead of the lot. But based solely on Sydney you can sort the clubs into 3 tiers of 3:

Tier 1:
Dogs
Souths
Eels

Tier 2:
Easts
Tigers
Dragons

Tier 3:
Manly
Sharks
Panthers

When you look at ratings and crowds together I think it backs up that ranking. For example yes the Eels crowds are down for obvious reasons but they're still rating very well.

So there is either a big 3 or a big 6, depending on how you classify big, but no big 5.