What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The myth of the 'big 5' Sydney clubs

M2D2

Bench
I love how some of you say theres no excuse.

Verb
Attempt to lessen the blame attaching to (a fault or offense); seek to defend or justify.

Noun
A reason or explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense.
I have to lol.

newman

First Grade
This thread is the kind of mind warping clusterf8ck that only the NRL forum on LU can provide. The founders of this site must be so proud!

Still, there are some interesting points that come out of the figures in the OP.

- The Roosters certainly have fans. And they even go to games! This for some confounding reason steams Souffs supporters up. I have to admit that I was surprised as I spent the last 3 years living in Bondi and felt anectodally that the stereotype about the chooks was true; but there you go.
- Manly and Cronulla also have fans and this flies in the face of the dribbling imbeciles on here who claim that Suburban Grounds are dead, and that there are too many teams in Sydney and until the NRL looks like the A League we are and will remain a bunch of furrow browed neandernthals.
- Parra fans are a bloody resilient mob.
- Penrith and Canberra are not "a worry". Their figures just cement our position as a middle tier sport in a middle tier country fighting in a bloody crowded landscape. I dont know why this threatens and panics so many people on here. If you enjoy Rugby League for what it is, I guarantee you will enjoy it more.
- Souths fans are like precocious, annoying kids who constantly need to be re-assured and encouraged. Pull your heads out of your arses, you look like idiots. The Roosters are out drawing you at the moment. Until you improve that, let it go.
- Both merger clubs probably could argue that they are no better off from teaming up with a rival, in terms of support levels. The dust settled a long time ago and the equilibrium they have found is not that different to where they would have been had they stood alone. That also surprises me. The fact that Manly and Cronullas crowds are not far from the two merger teams tells me that plenty of Steelers and Magpies supporters will be kicking stones, and if they arent, they should be.

Now, continue defecating in your hands and flinging at each other. You look like geniuses.

betcats

Referee
I love how some of you say theres no excuse.

Verb
Attempt to lessen the blame attaching to (a fault or offense); seek to defend or justify.

Noun
A reason or explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense.
I have to lol.

Thats hilarious, you must be lots of fun!

Valheru

Coach
It’s not our fault only souffs fans are whinging in the thread. I don’t see any Bulldogs, Wests, Parra or Saints fans carrying on.

Nemesis

Bench
This entire thread's a f**king myth... wait til the season's over b4 shooting your mouths off ffs.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
But, but, but...

Would you guys like any more excuses?

You have a "massive" supporter base. We have about "12 fans".

And yet our crowd average is better than yours.

I know, I know... "but, but, but, it's because of this and that!! Out of town teams, and 5.30 games instead of 7.30 games, and there was a traffic jam that night. But, but, but!!"

I don't care if your average is better, I am not knocking yours.

All I am stating is facts.

Further, when have I said that we have a 'massive' fan base or that you 'have no fans' etc?

If we better out average from last year, then we have improved, that is all that really matters.

Loudstrat

Coach
Who, exactly, are the "big 5" the op refers to?

I would have thought they were Parra, Canterbury, Saints, Easts and Manly traditionally, with Wests last decade seeing them overtake to potentially become the most supported side in Sydney.

Alsmug

Juniors
lol west tigers no wonder you throw so much verbal diarrhea , my godness me , you are a troll from the deep deep south, you need to tighten your fragile little mind stratman , marshall lol im still laughing marshall amp its the same name as benji get it , lol, wow , your so cool and i am just so damn smug

Eelementary

Post Whore
I believe that is the OP's point.

Fans of certain clubs and the media just loved trumpeting good attendance figures a couple years back as proof of how HUGE their respective clubs were.... but clearly the crowd figures show that all clubs' attendances are linked to on field performance.

When the roosters were consistently good back in the early 2000s our crowds were only rivaled by the dogs in NSW - another early 2000s powerhouse. When we sucked, the dropped back down. Same story for every club, yet for some reason people like to lay the boot into Easts' attendances all the time.

Dragons fans in particular seem to love nothing more than to take credit for everybody else's crwods (see Jason Maher's post in this thread)... despite rarely averaging more than 15-16k, even in the years when they were the clear benchmark side of the competition

But it's the same for everyone, so why the need to lay the boot into the Eels? Aside from a few people, not many Eels fans claim that we average huge crowds. We do claim we have a large supporter base (which is supported by merchandise sales figures, TV figures, memberships, general public sporting Eels merchandising, etc), but we won't claim it's the largest supporter base, as that would be incorrect. Like it or not, Parramatta is an important club for the NRL. Big issue is that we absolutely blow right now, and fans find it tough to go watch them play.

The moment the Storm or Manly or Souths or Roosters or Dogs or whoever starts sucking as much as Parramatta sucks now, and do for two or three consecutive years, their crowds will plummet, too.

We're all passionate about our clubs, but when we are struggling, it is much easier to make excuses to rationalise watching the game at the club or at home, rather than going.

I love the Eels, but even I am not keen on going to watch them live at the moment. It's hard to watch them dish out absolute absolute crap as they have been for three years now.

Last edited:

the dude

Juniors
Who, exactly, are the "big 5" the op refers to?

I would have thought they were Parra, Canterbury, Saints, Easts and Manly traditionally, with Wests last decade seeing them overtake to potentially become the most supported side in Sydney.

:lol:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Parramatta are 3rd at best.

Big 5
Top tier:
Souths, Dogs

2nd tier:
Dragons, Eels

3rd tier:
Tigers

Others

4th tier:
Manly, Easts

5th tier:
Penrith, Cronulla

Dragons - 2nd tier? FPMSL!!!

The best teams in Sydney (in alphabetical order) are:

Canterbury-Bankstown
Cronulla-Sutherland
Manly-Warirngah
Parramatta
Penrith
South Sydney
St George Illawarra
Sydney Roosters
West Tigers

The rest of this thread is just polly waffle.

I'd even chuck Newtown and North Sydney in there too.

You know what, I love Souths.

And I love watching all the other Sydney teams play Souths, play each other and play in the NRL.

FMD.

Some of the bullshit that goes on in here is staggering.

Some years you win, some years you lose. Just f**king deal with it.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Souths are a disgrace,Eels averaged 23k in 1999 and there were no superstars like Hayne/Inglis back then and there was no membership drive at all in those days

Eels 23k = No membership drive/no stars
Souths 17k = Massive membership drive + Mega stars in the whole team

Souths won't even get to 20k,disgrace.

Latest posts