What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Name BLUEBAGS - it's origin.

Quigs

Immortal

Quigs here - an old league tragic.

I am an old and mad Sharks supporter but had a Grandfather from Sydneyham who was a one eyed bluebags supporter. The poor old bugger did have one eye too. He never forgave the filthy Stains for stealing Johnny Raper off you.

My old Pop used to tell me yarn after yarn about his beloved Bluebags. His favorite was Old Bumper.

Okay enough of my reminiscing. Long story short.

I had one of the youngens in the Sharks Room ask me about the name Bluebags and where it originated from.

My old memory is vague but did it have something to do with the depression and the bags the blokes used to carry around newtown and Marrickville area in those times. As mentioned I was told the story a long long time ago.

I am always willing to pass on information to the youngens that want to know about the "real" rugby league. Not the crap it is today.

Cheers - thanks in advance - and enjoy the rest of the season
Quigs

newtownbluebags

Post Whore
Greetings Quigs :)

Old sugar bags roughly cut into the shape of jerseys & dyed blue back in the very early days is where I believe the name originated.

Quigs

Immortal
thank you my friend

nice avator.

bluesmall.gif

Cheers
Quigs

From what I understand that is a bit of a myth the whole sugar bags dyed blue.

According to RL1908
At its inaugural meeting the Newtown members resolved to continue wearing the 'royal blue' jersey of the rugby union club. Newtown fared modestly in Rugby League's first season finishing sixth out of the nine clubs

So it is possible that the Union club had jerseys that were dyed blue made from old sugar bags, but I think it's doubtful.

In the AFL Carltion are also known as the Bluebags because of their navy blue strip, so it's my guess that the term "bluebags" was just a common Australian nickname for any team that wore predominatly blue.

newtownbluebags

Post Whore
374856740_72aec946c2.jpg

remember it well & also remember hearing a story of a reckitts blue style mascot from long ago? a picture of that, if it ever existed, would be something

2 True Blues

Coach
In the Grand Finals in the 50`s, we had a Reckitt`s "bluebag " running around the ground as our mascot.
[ If you put the bluebag into water, the water comes out the same colour as our jerseys.]

2 True Blues

Coach
In the Grand Finals in the 50`s, we had a Reckitt`s bluebag running around the ground as our mascot.
[When the bluebag is put into water, the water tuns the colour of our jerseys.]

bluebayou

Juniors
Like others, none of us are old enough to know the real story. I've been told by my parents and grandparents about the sugarbag story which they reckon is true, but that the reckitts bluebag thing is just word association. Probably no-one really knows though.