What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion The next big thing in coaching that never got there.

Vee

First Grade
Saw Jim Dymock in the Titans box tonight, he's been close a couple of times but probably won't get a head coach gig now. I remember the same comments being made about the immortal Steve Rogers back in the day, how blokes that missed a few jobs got a smell about them. David Fairleigh was the HC in waiting for the Bears.

Others?

Kevin Walters sticks out as he was in the mix for years without getting the top job, until now of course. Had the calamites of the Broncos not happened in the last 2 years I'd reckon he'd not have got any other gigs. I know people ridicule him but I can't help but like him - a queenslander & bronco (in their glory years) I just can't find a reason to hate.

But on the theme - the one who sticks out is Ron Massey. He was a right hand man to Jack Gibson, and Wayne Bennett amongst much of his career in the game. But for reasons I don't know (others might) he never took on a head coaching role. He's widely regarded as having the best rugby league brain in history.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Saw Jim Dymock in the Titans box tonight, he's been close a couple of times but probably won't get a head coach gig now. I remember the same comments being made about the immortal Steve Rogers back in the day, how blokes that missed a few jobs got a smell about them. David Fairleigh was the HC in waiting for the Bears.

Others?

From memory Dymock has said he doesn’t want a head coaching role, enjoys just doing the assistant role. Probably a few guys more suited to this role I.e Kearney, Barrett, Brennan

Matt Parish has apparently been close a couple of times for no cigar

Diesel

Referee
I thought this was about coaches that had a crack, therefore an Adam O’Brien thread. Im mentioning Kearney so this thread can be locked

Kevin Walters sticks out as he was in the mix for years without getting the top job, until now of course. Had the calamites of the Broncos not happened in the last 2 years I'd reckon he'd not have got any other gigs. I know people ridicule him but I can't help but like him - a queenslander & bronco (in their glory years) I just can't find a reason to hate.

But on the theme - the one who sticks out is Ron Massey. He was a right hand man to Jack Gibson, and Wayne Bennett amongst much of his career in the game. But for reasons I don't know (others might) he never took on a head coaching role. He's widely regarded as having the best rugby league brain in history.

I think Massey was happy working alongside Jack Gibson. They were the closest of friends so I doubt Massey wanted to coach against Jack.

nick87

Coach
Adam O'Brien and every other Bellemy off shoot
Teams need to stop chasing assistants of great coaches expecting them to be those guys
It so rarely happens.

David Kidwell has been doing the rounds, but never landed an NRL gig. Can’t recall him ever getting tipped for a top gig but seems to have worked for about 5 clubs by now.

Reactions: Vee

blaza88z

Coach
It's hard to know what a supercoach looks like when you got blokes like Seibold who had that 1 year with Souths and they got beaten in a prelim I think it was, then goes to Brisbane and basically kills the club.

Then you got someone like Adam O'brien who has been in and around the successful clubs as an assistant and he is struggling too.

aqua_duck

Coach
One bloke who I'm surprised never got a big was Rip Taylor who had a lot of success in lower grades right up to NSW cup at several different clubs over many years, the thing that probably counted against him was age

t-ba

Post Whore
Trent Barrett. End of thread.

He isn't done yet.

He needs to fail at a few more clubs before the Boys club finally cuts him lose.

Kind of horrifies me that he would have kept his job at Manly if he didn't flee the sinking ship.

Munky

Coach
Barrett is a head scratcher.

Never had the runs on the board in Penrith's lower grades and then gets given jobs at Manly and the Dogs which as far as I know had no prior association with him.

Is his agent just really good?

Incorrect

Coach
Barrett is a head scratcher.

Never had the runs on the board in Penrith's lower grades and then gets given jobs at Manly and the Dogs which as far as I know had no prior association with him.

Is his agent just really good?
If you're a club interviewing for an NRL head coach and someone with a head of hair like Barrett's walks in, you'd be asking them to sign the contract then and there, reference checks would not even be undertaken...

Reflector

Juniors

Others?
Graham Murray was the HC in waiting for the CC Bears before the merger wasn't he?