What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 8 vs Brisbane @ Campbelltown Sports Stadium, Leumeah / Dharawal

Who will win? Round 8: Wests Tigers v Brisbane

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Brisbane Broncos 1-12

• Brisbane Broncos 13+

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pezz70

Juniors
We absolutely don't have the roster yet to contend for the eight. The huge hope for our future is our new front office.
We need a couple of centres and a couple of wingers. I think Bula needs a rest at the moment, but he is probably the fullback for the long term.
His Tigers form has been largely ignored by a lot out there. He is not the worst.....but so far away from his form at Parra.
I think it’s more due to our sides poor execution and timing rather than Papalii being a dud. This year he has looked threatening a few times and he looks to me to be giving 100% about 90% of the time. There’s been the odd time when I thought he might have been able to put in a bit more effort but for the most part I think he has been pretty good.

WA Tiger

Bench
From Fox NRL stats
Possession was even
RM
Staines-158.............Walsh-168
Aliamolo-143
Naden-131
Tk
Bateman-39.............Rici-29
Api-32
Stef-27
Runs
Staines-17...............Carrigan-17
Bateman-15
Naden-13
Klemmer-13
Pcm
Klemmer-51...........Carrigan-60
Bula-43
Naden-39
KM
Sezer-256................Reynolds-355
Galvin-99
Pretty much tells you how worthless the run metres are when judging a players contribution.

Pezz70

Juniors
Pretty much tells you how worthless the run metres are when judging a players contribution.
Yep you’ve certainly got to consider the context. I hate post contact metres, it’s as useless a stat as you will ever find.

Pezz70

Juniors
Must be getting tired of telling us, we were robbed again :rolleyes:
Like I said on another thread it was a try every week of every year since 1908. The bunker should be scrapped and if Annesley is trying to justify that call he should go with them. The ball did not touch the ground or another player and Api had a full handful of ball and applied the requisite downward pressure when it did hit the ground. TRY!

Did he mention the Brincos try when the point of the ball hit the corner post?

Nutz

Bench
The bunker just makes up whatever suits the mood...just as the bunker puts players on report the captains should have the right to place the officials on report as well including the bunker. Also the refs should have to officially declare during a stoppage in play that a match official has been put on report by a captain and the reason for it.
* obviously for amusement purposes only....I.e. as if!
This has merit Das. In fact a supporter from each side should have a thong slapping contest..the winner decides which way a penalty should go. :)

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
Like I said on another thread it was a try every week of every year since 1908. The bunker should be scrapped and if Annesley is trying to justify that call he should go with them. The ball did not touch the ground or another player and Api had a full handful of ball and applied the requisite downward pressure when it did hit the ground. TRY!

Did he mention the Brincos try when the point of the ball hit the corner post?
Spot on.
To support your first point Pezz, whatabout them earlier on in the year highlighting the fact that the ball can be grounded with the forearm....well if that's the case the ball can leave the hands at some point and if it rolls up the forearm and downward pressure is applied then it's a try.
As you say, if the ball isn't knocked on by touching the ground or another player in the process of regaining control it's all good.
Of course there has to be positive downward pressure in grounding the ball...which Api did.
I don't think Anusly has a clue.

Nutz

Bench
I can’t believe you praised Pole, he was ineffective and gave away a stupid penalty at the worst possible time. The stats say he didn’t miss a tackle but there was a couple of times he was just left standing, looking ridiculous. He has been off the pace in recent times.
Bateman works his arse off most weeks but does dumb shit. I think he is pretty good in the middle but I would not have him as first receiver in the attacking 20, he just got in the way
Pole did make some stuffups but if you take him out of the team we'd have no go forward and his and Bateman's energy keeps us going in all departments.
Pole has SOO potential and is a work in progress. Whats he played, 40 first grade games?

Pezz70

Juniors
Pole did make some stuffups but if you take him out of the team we'd have no go forward and his and Bateman's energy keeps us going in all departments.
Pole has SOO potential and is a work in progress. Whats he played, 40 first grade games?
I can’t see SOO in Pole, I hope he does crack it. I’m off Pole and Bula atm, I think they’ve come to the point in their careers where a stint in the lower grades would be great for them, just a circuit breaker. I think they’ll both be end being regular top graders, I just think we aren’t top 8 contenders this year, let’s not cook these blokes, give them plenty of experience at NRL but give them a bit of mental respite in the lower grades for a couple of weeks here and there. Develop them rather than toast them.

Nutz

Bench
they’ve come to the point in their careers where a stint in the lower grades would be great for them,
Pezz, being sent back to reserve grade is exactly what they don't need. Have you watched any of their games... it's all about individuals trying to impress the selectors, it's not a team effort.
What Bula and Pole need is first grade experience snd lots of it.
As I said Pole has probably played around 40 games and Bula has just started.
What we need is to find our best 17 and stick to it for the rest of the year. Continuity is what's required. Surely you new we are a building and success is not going to come quickly.
In particular, a new coach and a new spine can take a full season to start working well. They tried Bud but now have settled for Salad and Galvin. They will need time and Bula needs to gel with them too.
Don't underestimate Pole. He's got what it takes and when he hits 100 games...look out!

Tiger Ted

Bench
Pezz, being sent back to reserve grade is exactly what they don't need. Have you watched any of their games... it's all about individuals trying to impress the selectors, it's not a team effort.
What we need is to find our best 17 and stick to it for the rest of the year. Continuity is what's required. Surely you new we are a building and success is not going to come quickly.
In particular, a new coach and a new spine can take a full season to start working well. They tried Bud but now have settled for Salad and Galvin. They will need time and Bula needs to gel with them too.
Don't underestimate Pole. He's got what it takes and when he hits 100 games...look out!
They r too good for NSW cup & there’s nobody in our nsw cup team in their position who can hold a candle to them

Nutz

Bench
They r too good for NSW cup & there’s nobody in our nsw cup team in their position who can hold a candle to them
In cases like the Roosters where they sent their half down is because they can ill afford loses and have good replacements like you said Ted. The exercise worked.
In our case a lot of our boys simply need to play more against top players and get some combos going. Also our KOE team is crap, sorry Maggies.

Pezz70

Juniors
I agree but we’re not winning the comp this year, they’re young, NRL is hectic, if we can afford to give them a break And let them mature without getting flogged every week we should. It will benefit them and eventually the team. I really think the u23’s, reserves and firsts structure was a great structure it provided the Australia with some great players. There’s a small proportion of fellas that can handle the week in week out physical and mental intensity of NRL prior to about 25 (when they’ve reached near peak physical development) yet all clubs continue to expose talented 19-20 year olds to it. Believe it or not it’s only about 10% of players make 100 NRL games, these boys a re generally cooked before they’re 25-26 years old. It’s bloody sad. My view is that we should have a 15m salary cap with 40 players with only 15 allowed to be under 25 in total with a maximum of 5 under 21

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
Mate getting bashed every week does nothing for young blokes. Galvin looks like he can handle it, but Bula already has stage fright. Pole has been off the pace. For the long term good we need to cop some short term pain. These blokes have had a good taste of NRL, they need a break from the mental and physical torture of NRL. 3-4 weeks would be good for them and the team in the long term

Nutz

Bench
Mate getting bashed every week does nothing for young blokes. Galvin looks like he can handle it, but Bula already has stage fright. Pole has been off the pace. For the long term good we need to cop some short term pain. These blokes have had a good taste of NRL, they need a break from the mental and physical torture of NRL. 3-4 weeks would be good for them and the team in the long term
I respectfully still disagree.
Anyhow, who do you want to replace Bula with?

WA Tiger

Bench
Must be getting tired of telling us, we were robbed again :rolleyes:
They fked up but found a loophole to come up smelling of roses..If api was standing holding the ball like that it wouldn't drop. Therefore it’s a grip.. Without that grip he couldn’t have re gained control of it to the ground. We see many of those ones without the grip just bouncing resulting in no tries

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Bula is living on reputation alone. A bit like Brooks did. He needs a rocket. The lower grade will do that. At the moment he’s soft (at least Staines runs hard at the line) , he believes all the hype, he’s interpreted the eyes up footy advice from Benji as 100% all of the time, which means the players outside him are starved of the ball. And then if he does pass there’s no strategy and the pass is too late for the outside players to construct anything..

Tiger Ted

Bench
Bula is living on reputation alone. A bit like Brooks did. He needs a rocket. The lower grade will do that. At the moment he’s soft (at least Staines runs hard at the line) , he believes all the hype, he’s interpreted the eyes up footy advice from Benji as 100% all of the time, which means the players outside him are starved of the ball. And then if he does pass there’s no strategy and the pass is too late for the outside players to construct anything..
There’s certainly going to be pressure on Bula to aim up next season.I know there’s reporting that we bought Suruva to play in the centres but he has proven at Penrith especially in nsw cup that he is one heck of a fullback.

Nutz

Bench
There’s certainly going to be pressure on Bula to aim up next season.I know there’s reporting that we bought Suruva to play in the centres but he has proven at Penrith especially in nsw cup that he is one heck of a fullback.
Indeed.