What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The next Thurston plays for...

Timbo

Staff member
Us, apparently!

Tony tipped as the next Thurston

IQT_15-07-2010_NEWS_01_tonymilford14c_fct440x271x34_t325.jpg

St Peter Claver College student Tony Milford, 16, is put through his paces.

HE WAS signed by an NRL club at age 12 and has been labelled “the next Johnathan Thurston”, but as long as Tony Milford listens to his mum, his ego will remain grounded.

Born in Riverview, the humble 16-year-old has received more ‘wraps' than a kebab shop.

Not that his mum takes notice.

“She's always telling me what I need to work on and how I should have done this and done that better,” the St Peter Claver College student said.

“She won't let me get a big head no matter what people say about my career.”

Milford starred in Queensland's U16 State of Origin team last week, although his side lost 24-14 to NSW at Sydney's ANZ Stadium.

The Canberra Raiders youngster scored two sensational solo tries, ensuring those who had heard the hype left the game knowing he was something special.

Milford's manager is Sam Ayoub, one the NRL's leading player agents who also manages Johnathan Thurston.

Ayoub said Milford was “very similar” to Thurston at the same age.

“He's the most promising half back I've seen in the past seven years,” Ayoub said.

“He's like Johnathan was at 16. They are very similar in how they play the game and how much raw talent they have.

“Whether he goes on with it from here like Thurston has, you never know, there's girls, alcohol, work ethic – it all comes into it.

“But he's a special player and a lovely kid who has the makings of something special.”

There is little chance of Milford falling off the rails.

A devout Catholic of Samoan heritage, he is dedicated to his family and education.

Milford was so nervous before last week's match he vomited in the ANZ Stadium toilets before running out in front of his family, who flew down for the occasion.

“I don't get nervous before games usually, but last week I couldn't control it,” Milford said

St Peter Claver College rugby league program coordinator Geoff Skippington said Milford did things on a football field which seemed impossible.

“He's scored some tries you could not imagine. He has lightening feet and great hands to go with it,” Skippington said.

http://www.qt.com.au/story/2010/07/15/t ... -thurston/

Its a big rap on a kid. But it sounds like he has his feet grounded. Hope it stays that way.

Good luck to him and cant wait to watch him come through the ranks.

Cryptic

Juniors
Would be awesome if he was but unfortunantly most kids don't make it... That said maybe this is yet another person the club has been trying to keep under wraps... Were we the club who had him signed up since age 12?

Timbo

Staff member
I remember reading similar reports about both Carney and Dobson when they were coming through Flegg. Hopefully he succeeds in the same way.

aussies1st

Staff member
Sounds promising, sounds like he could play 5/8 or halfback which could be useful if Williams lives up to his promise.

Timbo

Staff member
*bump*

Looks like this is a prediction that's actually coming true.

Question is - can we keep him in green?

Cryptic

Juniors
There have been a lot of reports that keeping Papalii would go a long way... Win/win for my mind...

In regards to his recent form I thought he was double guessing himself too much, earlier in the year with less pressure on him he was amazing but on the weekend he was a bit all over the place. Again he is young so hopefully a lot of high stakes games like the TC side is going through now will put him in a good spot for FG.

The other issue is, where does he fit into the FG side? I would say he has at least another year in the TC (he can still be there for another two) but after that who is he going to replace?!?!?! I would love us to keep all our young talent but if we keep getting rid of the experienced players and replacing them with the "next big thing" we are going to be stuck in this "rebuilding" phase for the next 5 years... Our team is already young enough...

I think a lot will depend on how Campese and McCrone go next year... A fit Campese and possible McCrone in the #9 jersey could keep their spots for years to come... I can't see Williams going backwards again like he did at the start of this year but I'll see what everything looks like this time next year I guess (although hopefully we are all hyped up and buying GF tickets!)

What impressed me the most was last week against the Warriors. They bashed him , every chance they were on him but he came up with 2 magic plays at the end. That break and then he stayed calm to slot over the field goal.

He is a talent , he was only playing SG ball earlier this year and now he is in the U20's GF.

He has one more year in U20's , maybe not 2013 but 2014 we may see him in FG

The reports are he is homesick but what kid isnt moving from home.

Cryptic

Juniors
I know the article was in the other thread but I'll sorta reply to it here. Papalii picking QLD and Australia over NZ actually has me more hopeful about him picking for loyalty not history.... And as stated before that goes a long way to keeping Milford as well!

Downside? Less Papalii as he will be playing origin :(

unbreaK

Juniors
Hopefully Milford can't handle the home sickness and comes back to the Broncos, we need a new half :p

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Ive been hearing he wants out of the club?

When is he off contract? gotta find a way to keep him at the club as our long term player. We have several young guys that need to be locked up on long term deals.

argy-bargy

Juniors
I've never understood this "homesickness" phenomenon in younger League players, surely it has to be the media trying to stir up some sh*t.

Seriously, if you are that age, why the hell would you want to live at home with your parents when you have the opportunity to have a rockstar life as a professional athlete.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I've never understood this "homesickness" phenomenon in younger League players, surely it has to be the media trying to stir up some sh*t.

Seriously, if you are that age, why the hell would you want to live at home with your parents when you have the opportunity to have a rockstar life as a professional athlete.

Because Gen Y are a bunch of girly men.

Cryptic

Juniors
Agreed with Gen Y being a bunch of soft c**ks (on the whole, I'm sure there are some who aren't).

And he is off contract at the end of next year.

hunters

Juniors

Yeah I'd hate to live in all that sunshine of South East Queensland with all those bikini clad chicks. Give me Canberra every day. :roll: