What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Northern Cyclones - team based in Darwin & Port Moresby

RLIF

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24037371-5006066,00.html

On radio Searle has floated the idea of a Sunshine Coast or Ipswich-based team, a second New Zealand franchise and a joint venture between Darwin and Papua New Guinea.

But what he didn't say was that existing Sydney clubs would have to move to those places in order for it to work. That will be the recommendation that goes to the NRL in six weeks when work on the Doomsday Document is complete.

"This is not an expansion plan - it'll only work with relocation," he said.
"The NRL should offer 40 to 50 million dollars instead of eight or 11 for relocations. And if you merge, you should continue to get two clubs' grants each year for 10 years."

The most surprising element of the scheme is the first international joint venture in world sport.

The Northern Cyclones or Northern Birds of Paradise would play most of their home games in Darwin with two or three each year in Port Moresby - and draw millions of dollars in funding from both governments.

"There are just under 3000 Australian companies operating in PNG and their Government has made an official inquiry into getting a club in the NRL," he said.

"The Northern Territory Government is spending money attracting our games to Darwin and Alice Springs. We have an opportunity to take the Top End off the AFL."

roopy

Referee
PNG are a possibility as they get richer.
The same boom in commodity prices that has Australia rolling in money is delivering big bucks to PNG compared to the past.
They are getting TV.
They have a professional RL comp.
People have a few dollars to spend - which means sponsers have a reason to get involved and crowds can pay a few dollars.
5 years ago it was clearly not viable.
Now it is questionable.
In another 5 years we will wonder if there was ever any doubt.
It will be the most fanatically supported club in the world.

XIII

Juniors
We have an opportunity to take the Top End off the AFL."

Alright, I made a thread on here a while back about RL outside of the eastern states and everyone assured me NT was league country when I said I thought it was AFL. Now we have the Titans CEO bloke saying RL could move in and take it?

roopy

Referee
Alright, I made a thread on here a while back about RL outside of the eastern states and everyone assured me NT was league country when I said I thought it was AFL. Now we have the Titans CEO bloke saying RL could move in and take it?
When i was up there in the 80s it was mostly full of Qlders and was RL country, but you get the feeling it has doubled in size and has a 50/50 split of people from all over the country these days.
It is still too small for an NRL side IMO.

the beavers

Juniors
i love the idea of the northern side
what an opportunity to develop rl in png especially in png players could get exposure to nrl
i dont see what team would want to relocate there but as an expansion team it would be fantastic
lets hope it happens!

The Observer

Staff member
The South African Rugby Union have shown that Searle's model can be used to develop emerging nations. They have just invited Argentina and Namibia to field teams in the Vodacom Cup, a reserve grade style competition that runs concurrently with the Super 14. It is a 14 team competition split into Northern and Southern Conferences, each of the 5 Super 14 franchises uses a VC team as a feeder team.

The new teams will based in South African towns - Namibia will be based in Witbank in the Northern Conference. Argentina will be based in Stellenbosch in the Southern Conference, Stellenbosch being about 1 hour west of Newlands (the home of the Stormers/Western Province teams), Cape Town in the Western Cape).

http://www.supersport.com/Rugby/article.aspx?id=326360

http://www.keo.co.za/2009/12/10/argentina-enter-vodacom-cup/

http://www.sarugby.com/news/News/article/sid=12779.html

Primarily hosting PNG in Darwin in either the QLD or NSW Cup with the Northern Cyclones could address the problems of high cost of travel to and accomodation in Port Moresby, and the high safety/security risk of travelling around PNG. According to 2009 liveable cities survey the Intelligence Unit of The Economist magazine, Port Moresby is currently least liveable major city in the world, affected by high levels of unemployment and crime.

XIII

Juniors
why has noone mentioned basing a png team out of jayapura in west papua. its a far less chaotic city than POM. you kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone..... development in indo and intergrating png. could probably get a indo rl team off the ground w/ west papuan players in a couple years. could be a big derby.

adamkungl

Immortal
On a side note, Cyclones is a sh*t name, like Storm or Fury or Force...I'd call them the Crocodiles personally.

griff

Bench
It's a really really really bad idea. Will the people of Darwin get behind a team that is not really theirs? Equally, what real good does it do for PNG to not be hosting quality games? Would AusAid and the PNG government support something happening in Darwin?

There are no real social/cultural links between the two places. They are almost as far apart as Perth and Adelaide. Even if it did work, could a little place like Darwin generate the millions of dollars required to run an NRL side? No way. Bad idea on all counts.

What we should have is (separate) Port Moresby and NT teams in the Queensland Cup, along with Perth and Auckland in the NSW Cup.

Titanic

First Grade
Griff ... you're out there old mate - in 1975 when PNG claimed independence nearly the entire expatriate public service was voluntarily relocated to the NT - the links are long-standing and massive.

But I agree with you, both should return to the Qld Cup both have been there before... the NT Titans in 1991-2 and the Port Moresby Vipers in 1996-1997.

Latest posts