What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL is a fifth rate piece of sh*t re: radio rights

Green Machine

First Grade
That rely out of the NRL is the greatest load of bullsh*t I have ever read. How could the NRL say that the game will fall over because they are relying on the money that they will receive from the next exclusive radio rights. Next year they want to start a National Youth League and fly players all over the place. If all the second tier clubs pull the funding they are providing to Premier League now, where will the NRL clubs find the extra expense to fund a National Youth League. Let alone the travel costs. One minute they are claiming they’re broke and the next they’re pissing money away like a drunken sailor. Considering the amount of promotion in Sydney during Grand Final, the NRL could be broke. I am old enough to remember the 2 previous trials of Monday Night football. On both occasions, tickets were given away and in some cases, there was hardly anyone at the ground. If crowds for Monday Night games are down to say 5,000 spectators on current averages, at $20 a head that’s, $100k a game. 5,000 would be a conservative estimate. Over 24 weeks, that’s $2.4m. I would love to know how much 2GB and Triple M paid for exclusive radio rights. If it is so good, why doesn’t the NRL release the figure. They don’t even have a press release on their website or on News Ltd’s. The next Foxsports contract is for $60m for 5 games a week. It would be interesting to know the dollar value Monday Night adds to the $60m. The current negotiations between Channel’s 7 & 10 and Foxtel for AFL rights have Foxtel offering $45m for 4 games a week (no Monday Nights and at worse a Sunday twilight game) and Channel’s 7 & 10 wanting $70m for 4 games. Channel’s 7 & 10 may end up negotiating a better deal out of Foxtel than the NRL can get out of Foxsports, with no Monday Night games. That is very embarrassing for the NRL. That article by Dean Ritchie the other day about the figure for Naming and Internet rights did not sound like a very good deal either, even though Dean thought it was great deal. Instead of signing to these stupid exclusive contracts that exclude genuine fans, maybe they can get on the phone to the AFL and find out how they extract the maximum out of their deals and don’t exclude anyone,

forward pass

Coach
Everyone should bombard the NRL with emails/faxes on this matter. Whinging here is worthless.

It is a disgraceful decision and everyone should let them know that !!

I am sending one this afternoon.

Brutus

Referee
forward pass said:
Everyone should bombard the NRL with emails/faxes on this matter. Whinging here is worthless.

It is a disgraceful decision and everyone should let them know that !!

I am sending one this afternoon.

Can someone please tell me the best NRL email to use.

I think we should all them know how disgraceful this decision is for the game.

The Dominator

Juniors
I am extremely saddened by this decision by the NRL and what it means for our game. To me there are 2 issues here. The 1st is the impact on country fans and the 2nd is the fact that a loudmouth who treats our game like a joke and a doormat is still in control of its media future.

I tried to start an internet campaign months ago to have the exclusive rights policy changed and it fell on deaf ears mainly because websites including this one were too scared to take on Hadley. Are we all so afraid of the power 2gb wield to do the right thing for the future of the game?

coverage of RL in melbourne will decrease next year...this year there was a weekly NRL show on SEN with Ian Cohen from ch10 and robbie kearns followed by the continuous call's coverage of the sunday afternoon games

now SEN has got 5 AFL games each week which means byebye NRL

Collingwood Storm said:
coverage of RL in melbourne will decrease next year...this year there was a weekly NRL show on SEN with Ian Cohen from ch10 and robbie kearns followed by the continuous call's coverage of the sunday afternoon games

now SEN has got 5 AFL games each week which means byebye NRL

they should stop kidding themselves then and call it AFLEN.

ocko

juniors
hadley has also been bagging sen on air this year, which hardly encourages them to take his calls.

Brutus

Referee
ocko said:
hadley has also been bagging sen on air this year, which hardly encourages them to take his calls.

It just gets weirder and weirder.

Why would the NRL want to have anything to do with a man who is so negative about the game when he's not repeating mindless songs.

mickdo

Coach
Brutus said:
It just gets weirder and weirder.

Why would the NRL want to have anything to do with a man who is so negative about the game when he's not repeating mindless songs.
money

ocko

juniors
they'd still be getting a sh*tload of money too with 4 or 5 stations ponying up.

Brutus

Referee
ocko said:
they'd still be getting a sh*tload of money too with 4 or 5 stations ponying up.

A sh*tload of money and priceless exposure, reducing the reach of rival football codes. I have a feeling league fans will be stuck with 2GB as the commerical station for a very long time.

Hadley could fart for six hours a day under the guise of a 'rugby league show' and the NRL would still be happy with it and award 2GB the rights. They would be doing this in the knowledge that many diehard rugby league are not interested in this style of presentation of their game. Choice on radio is a problem rugby league fans never had to contend with once upon a time - that was until the NRL came into being and gave us only one commercial option. I'm sure they would be happy with disenchanted league fans listening to the ABC's call of the AFL on a Saturday afternoon or a rugby union match at 7.30 on a Saturday night.

borat

Bench
Brutus said:
A sh*tload of money and priceless exposure, reducing the reach of rival football codes. I have a feeling league fans will be stuck with 2GB as the commerical stations for a very long time.

And you know this how? Where was 2SM when the previous braodcast deal was being negotiated or are they just fly by nighters. I will tell you where, nowhere to be seen. You should look a little further at 2SM's track record or ask someone who knows like Jimmy Smith.

Its not AFL, its a different city and a different market. Try the ABC sometime, you might just like it.

Brutus

Referee
NRL gives exlcusivity to a station who will not call 7.30 matches on a Saturday night. Great for the game? No.

Grants this station exlusive AM rights on a Monday night (even though this station is not interested in calling Monday night games), leaving willing particpants with nothing. Leaving country people with zilch. Great for the game? No.

It seems the NRL was prepared to give 2GB whatever they wanted even if that meant no coverage in certain areas or in certain timeslots.

Great for the game? no.