What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL is a fifth rate piece of sh*t re: radio rights

Brutus

Referee
Ron Jeremy said:
One word f**k

ABC can only coverage so much

Spot on.

Obviously the NRL doesn't give a sh*t.

I wonder if Gallop in his right mind actually thinks what 2GB do is good for the game.

lucablight

First Grade
Wasn't Hadley the one bragging saying they didn't need exclusive rights because they'd win the ratings anyway? What happened?

bartman

Immortal
Booooo. Poor decision, it certainly seems there were others wanting to broadcast league, non-exclusively.

What probably happened was that GB named their price for exclusive and then non-exclusive, and if the league couldn't find enough other stations (with money to bid) to make up the diffeence, then they've had to go with the bigger financial deal.

I remember when we had choices of commercial stations (SM, UE, KY, GB plus the ABC) broadcasting league on a Sunday, and you could usually choose which match you preferred to listen to as often they would cover at least two different ones. And the league try to tell us that they're happy with the coverage at the moment? Pah! It's about the best spread of the game, not just about the most money.

Quidgybo

Bench
HMS Cheesemaker said:
I realise that the NRL's persistence with 2GB as exclusive broadcaster is really annoying and I can't fathom it myself but one must remember that there is a very simple, three-letter solution.​

ABC.​

Except that the ABC are blacked out from streaming their calls onto the internet. So if you live outside NSW/QLD, you're stuck with 2GB. That means only three out of eight games are available to fans (four if Monday nights are covered). When compared to the AFL deal, where every match is available live, either on radio in the local markets or universally online, it's an absolute disgrace. For all the good work the NRL has done turning Rugby League into a well run professional business, this must count as one of its worst decisons, if not *the* worst decision, since its founding. The customers, the fans who support the game and give the NRL a reason to exist, have lost out big time.

Leigh.​

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
lucablight said:
Wasn't Hadley the one bragging saying they didn't need exclusive rights because they'd win the ratings anyway? What happened?

To be honest.........i reckon he's scared of any opposition, this decision is yet another step backwards for our once great game..........................

Freak2

Juniors
The only possible arguement that I would think could be used is that in some small possible way it could force people to attend games Vs listening to them, but geez that is really clutching at straws.

I think the really dissappointing aspect of this decision is that a 2SM would and do provide a fantastic service to true rugby league supporters, and it is these supporters that the NRL have let down once again!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
2GB and Ray Hadley do nothing for the game.All they do is play stupid songs, talk about non related league stories, get d**khead callers ringing up requesting songs. Its an NRL radio program FFS, not a kids station or an FM station. And then Ray continues to whinge, laugh at his own jokes that arent even funny, make up stories. This year he brought up a Tim Smith incident that didnt even happen, and kept bagging Melbourne and how they shouldnt play Rugby League. I dont know what he said when they got 50,000 in that Origin game, I hoped he kept things quiet. And does he even call the games? Every time I flick it to get an update on the scores on a Saturday, hes not even calling the games. And he was whinging when he lost the rights in 2000.Thank f***k 2SM had their Saturday Sports Program this year, Graham Hughes is a great radio personality, theyve become more popular, you get the regulars which is a good, and he always listens to callers even if they are wrong and right. They deserve the rights.If the NRL took radio rights serious, they would take 2GB off and give the rights to 2UE and 2SM or one or the other. But once again theyve failed the listen to the fans.Absolutely disgraceful.

Quidgybo

Bench
dontmakemeangry said:
yet another step backwards for our once great game..........................
Once great game? Let's not blow things out of proportion here. It's an absolutely disgraceful decision, no doubt. But it is still only one aspect contributing to the overall health of the game. Remember it was only 12 months ago that the game had its most successful season ever. The draws more fans, higher television ratings and makes more money than at any time in its history. Far from being once great, on the vast majority of counts the game is the greatest it's ever been.

Leigh.

Brutus

Referee
Freak2 said:
The only possible arguement that I would think could be used is that in some small possible way it could force people to attend games Vs listening to them, but geez that is really clutching at straws.

The more realistic reason would be for more people to watch Foxtel and Channel 9 instead of listening on the radio. The NRL is protecting its own interests by limiting radio coverage.

You can attend a game and still listen on the radio. Many do.

The people who are opposed to thos shocking decision should fire emails to all the papers, radio and let them know what this joke of an organisation is doing to our game. Less radio means more foxtel - that's the only logical reason I can come up with for this joke of a decision.

Freak2

Juniors
Your spot on Brutus.
Look at the commercial TV station adds currently on worried about the Giant juggernaut called Foxtel!!

PARRA_FAN said:
2GB and Ray Hadley do nothing for the game.All they do is play stupid songs, talk about non related league stories, get d**khead callers ringing up requesting songs. Its an NRL radio program FFS, not a kids station or an FM station. And then Ray continues to whinge, laugh at his own jokes that arent even funny, make up stories. This year he brought up a Tim Smith incident that didnt even happen, and kept bagging Melbourne and how they shouldnt play Rugby League. I dont know what he said when they got 50,000 in that Origin game, I hoped he kept things quiet. And does he even call the games? Every time I flick it to get an update on the scores on a Saturday, hes not even calling the games. And he was whinging when he lost the rights in 2000.Thank f***k 2SM had their Saturday Sports Program this year, Graham Hughes is a great radio personality, theyve become more popular, you get the regulars which is a good, and he always listens to callers even if they are wrong and right. They deserve the rights.If the NRL took radio rights serious, they would take 2GB off and give the rights to 2UE and 2SM or one or the other. But once again theyve failed the listen to the fans.Absolutely disgraceful.

You are spot on Parra Fan,but what I have always wondered is how the f*** Hadley keeps winning the ratings?

Green Machine

First Grade
To quote Warren Ryan:

“If in doubt, back self interest”

What a great deal for PBL, News Ltd and the NRL. The NRL must have thought they wanted to be as generous as Senator Coonan has lately to the media moguls.
I wonder how long it will take for the NRL to get the marketing depart down at the Telegraph with Dean Ritchie proclaiming this Radio Contract as a sensational win - win for the NRL. Might be like the last one, they might just hope no one questions it. I don’t hold any hope of Fairfax or PBL commentators questioned the deal. I would look a bit hypocritical as Johnny Gibbs and Phil Gould benefited from the first exclusive radio deal which excluded Hadley. 2KY will say nothing because they either frighten of Hadley or are mates of his. I read something recently that 2GB’s audience is about 2 – 4% under the age of 28. 2GB tailor their coverage to the over 30 Sydney audience. So, how is that good for anyone who is either over 30 and lives in Sydney and does not like their show or anyone who does not fit into the 2GB demographic? What is the NRL saying to the huge FM market? What is the NRL saying to Queensland fans? The NRL would prefer to exclude other station to serve their own interests even if it means those other stations end up covering rival football codes. The NRL prefer sanitised reporting from 2GB. The Telegraph proclaimed the first radio deal as a great deal. I think it was $1m. It will be interesting to see what the current figure is 7 years on. $1m is a piss in the ocean compared to the amount of money received from TV. I heard Graeme Hughes say the 2SM offer was not much below the 2GB offer. I like going to games but what I hate is to be disadvantaged with no radio coverage at the ground. I also like choice. I dislike 2GB. I want to choose to listen to who I want to listen to. I want to listen to a station that promotes the game. 2SM give free promotion to Rugby League 7 days a week. The NRL and their marketing department down at the Telegraph would not know what marketing was, even if snuck up behind them and bit them on the arse.
It will be nice to hear John Brady defend 2GB’s lack of coverage by telling us how big the 2GB Sydney audience is.

Green Machine said:
To quote Warren Ryan:

“If in doubt, back self interest”

What a great deal for PBL, News Ltd and the NRL. The NRL must have thought they wanted to be as generous as Senator Coonan has lately to the media moguls.
I wonder how long it will take for the NRL to get the marketing depart down at the Telegraph with Dean Ritchie proclaiming this Radio Contract as a sensational win - win for the NRL. Might be like the last one, they might just hope no one questions it. I don’t hold any hope of Fairfax or PBL commentators questioned the deal. I would look a bit hypocritical as Johnny Gibbs and Phil Gould benefited from the first exclusive radio deal which excluded Hadley. 2KY will say nothing because they either frighten of Hadley or are mates of his. I read something recently that 2GB’s audience is about 2 – 4% under the age of 28. 2GB tailor their coverage to the over 30 Sydney audience. So, how is that good for anyone who is either over 30 and lives in Sydney and does not like their show or anyone who does not fit into the 2GB demographic? What is the NRL saying to the huge FM market? What is the NRL saying to Queensland fans? The NRL would prefer to exclude other station to serve their own interests even if it means those other stations end up covering rival football codes. The NRL prefer sanitised reporting from 2GB. The Telegraph proclaimed the first radio deal as a great deal. I think it was $1m. It will be interesting to see what the current figure is 7 years on. $1m is a piss in the ocean compared to the amount of money received from TV. I heard Graeme Hughes say the 2SM offer was not much below the 2GB offer. I like going to games but what I hate is to be disadvantaged with no radio coverage at the ground. I also like choice. I dislike 2GB. I want to choose to listen to who I want to listen to. I want to listen to a station that promotes the game. 2SM give free promotion to Rugby League 7 days a week. The NRL and their marketing department down at the Telegraph would not know what marketing was, even if snuck up behind them and bit them on the arse.
It will be nice to hear John Brady defend 2GB’s lack of coverage by telling us how big the 2GB Sydney audience is.

Green Machine,you hit the nail on the head,2SM promote rugby league 7 days a week.

Surandy

Bench
When they say exclusive, is that for ALL of Australia?

If so, that is absolute bullsh*t as it means the only way to hear the game in Melbourne would be via the internet!!!

axl rose

Bench
Interesting that the NRL are attempting to undertake a membership drive, yet kick fans in the guts continuously. NRL, soon in the Guiness Book of records for the most attempts at shooting itself in the foot.

Brutus

Referee
2SM indeed promote the game 7 days a week.

I love rugby league, but the NRL is scum.

Well done NRL for jumping in bed with the king of the over 50's demographic again. Great move.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Actually 2SM won the ratings I think once this year, which obviously fired Hadley up.

The other good thing about 2SM is that they dont have idiots on the program. Mark Geyer and Paul Langmack might not have the best voice on radio, but they make some interesting points. And Jimmy Smith was good when he was on there, shame he got the flick.