What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL Media Machine doesn't fool me

Tommy Smith

Referee
All this talk of an even comp is dribble. In 2006 if i recall right the Storm were minor premiers. They should have won the GF as they were the best team all year but the Broncos stole it with a few weeks of quality football and their GF pedigree.

In 2007 the Storm coasted their way to another minor premiership and won what was the easiest premiership ive seen since Brisbane in 2000. They hardly raised a sweat in losing something like 3 games all year.

And now this year after losing 2 of their first 3 theyve coasted to 5 straight wins and IMO wont lose more than 2 games for the rest of the year.

Even comp my arse...it hasnt been this one-sided over a 2-3 year period in bloody years. (Atleast the Roosters had some quality opposition in 02-04 as evidenced by the Gfs and only 1 minor premiership)

So as much as the Roosters revival has got me excited this year i still cant help but feel that the Storm have already got it in the bag. Just as much so as Geelong in the AFL.

Can anyone seriously see a team taking the title off Melbourne when it matters?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Yes there team will be pulled apart.

That said they have awesome recruitment and give the young blokes a go.

Perhaps other teams will see the benefit in doing the same.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Just as much so as Geelong in the AFL.
One of my wife's cousins was devastated as he played the Geelong team song not long after they won, and I had no idea what he was talking about.
Thier drought was longer than Cronullas I was told.
He was very happy.

So a team doing better for a couple of years simply means they got it right for couple of years.

Melbourne are beatable.

birdsofprey

Juniors
I think they'd have to lose a few key players to injury, and even then they'd still probably be favourites. Though it hurts me to say it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You have to admire their development and recruitment. All this success and they haven't had to resort to signing "big name" players, even after losing some real quality players. Other clubs should take note!

philstorm

Juniors
Our biggest hurdle (besides the likes of Manly, Brisbane the Titans, the Chooks and even Newcastle after tonights' effort), will be getting through the Origin period unscathed.

ledzep

Bench
Brisbane and Roosters are the only two teams I could see atm knocking off Melbourne in a GF

Knight87

Juniors
Melbourne, although favourites to win the comp alongside the Broncos, are no where near as dominant as they were last year. Tbh, I think they'll definitely be in the top 8, more than likely top 4, but I don't think they'll win the premiership this year.

So we are 9 games in and people are calling the comp as good as over, or narrowing it down to a couple of possible winners. I can't see Melbourne winning the comp this year, and I think the side that wins the comp (whoever it may be) has not played their best football yet.

Special K

Coach
Honestly there is probably 13 or 14 teams that could make the 8. Then any team on any day can do anything. I don't think the storm are unbeatable. Anything can happen during origin time, finals or random injuries you never know what can happen.

Canard

Immortal
All this talk of an even comp is dribble. In 2006 if i recall right the Storm were minor premiers. They should have won the GF as they were the best team all year but the Broncos stole it with a few weeks of quality football and their GF pedigree.

In 2007 the Storm coasted their way to another minor premiership and won what was the easiest premiership ive seen since Brisbane in 2000. They hardly raised a sweat in losing something like 3 games all year.

And now this year after losing 2 of their first 3 theyve coasted to 5 straight wins and IMO wont lose more than 2 games for the rest of the year.

Even comp my arse...it hasnt been this one-sided over a 2-3 year period in bloody years. (Atleast the Roosters had some quality opposition in 02-04 as evidenced by the Gfs and only 1 minor premiership)

So as much as the Roosters revival has got me excited this year i still cant help but feel that the Storm have already got it in the bag. Just as much so as Geelong in the AFL.

Lucky they dont hand out the priemership in May though.

I agree the Storm are favourites, but there is a lot of football to be played.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
exactly.

i've got no doubst they'll be in the finals but i cant see them going back 2 back.

btw any1 think the titans are a chance?

Red Bear

Referee
i think the titans will fade
I think newcastle will go well this year and make week 2 of finals maybe, and really kick on next season
but i think melbourne vs chooks GF is on the cards.

caylo

Bench
exactly.

i've got no doubst they'll be in the finals but i cant see them going back 2 back.

btw any1 think the titans are a chance?

Mate everyone but Souths is a chance tbh. The cowboys are coming 15th and they have thurtson, Bowan, ODonnold, Webb, Graham etc. Dragons 14th have the likes of Gasnier, Morris, Hornby and Cooper. Realy anyone can make it atm, and anyone on their day can beat anyone else (sort of).
Brisbane, Titans, Melbourne, Knights, Cronulla, Tigers have shown their hand so far this year with good displays. Parramatta, Penrith, Cowboys, Warriors have all shown glimes of their best but yet to produce anything major. Saints, Dogs, Canberra will miss out IMO but have shown glimpes of magic.

If you look at team sheets, Parramatta, Broncos, Melbourne are a step above, but premierships arn't won on paper, and a team like the Knights have shown how to play as a team. That is what wins comps, and I think Melbourne will struggle towards the end of the season and their team is already lossing shape with guys like Falou going, and possible others to follow

ledzep

Bench
If you look at team sheets, Parramatta, Broncos, Melbourne are a step above, but premierships arn't won on paper, and a team like the Knights have shown how to play as a team.
don't know which team sheets you're looking at

sharko

Juniors
The way Brisbane played on the weekend they will have no hope..Hodges and Lockyer will help but their forwards are not good enough to take on the Storm pack.
Saints have Gasnier, that is true, but they also have the worst coach in the NRL in Brown and the biggest idiot in the NRL in Ryles, those two negate any Saints hope.
Parra are something of a rabble this year and the Cowboys away from home are easy pickings, even for the Rabbits.
Manly are still scarred from last year, and with no compotenet five eight cannot beat the Storm in a semi.
Easts are probably the team to compete with the Storm but I still think with one under their belt the Storm may get stronger.

Ice777

Bench

Didn't they say pretty much the same thing in 2006? There goes your theory on that one.

As mentioned we aren't as strong as last year and aren't playing as well. Our defence has been rock solid but our attack hasn't been anything spectacular and isn't as potent as last year. Origin will hurt us this year more so than the last couple but once that's out of the way i think we'll improve much more. Having said that i think a few of the other teams will as well so if we want to go back to back we'll need to improve and go to the next level.

While you'd have to say Melbourne are one of the better chances of winning the comp anyone who says we've got it in the bag, Storm supporter or not are just plain kidding themselves.

Lowdown

Juniors
I agree - I think the comp is less even now in 2008, than it was in 2007, 2006, and 2005 etc.

I think the Storm should have an even better chance of winning it this year - not because they're stronger on paper (because they're not - King, Cross, Newton are massive losses), but because I feel their main opponents have gotten weaker. That and the fact they know how to play and win the big games and confidence is a massive advantage.

Manly don't look as strong - they are struggling after MM's departure, and look unsettled at 5/8. The Broncos are going ok - but Lockyer's injury and the loss of Civoniceva and Tate more than offset their new recruits). The Bulldogs look gone. The Eels seem weaker.

I think we'll definately see a closer competition to make the 8 - again - but in looking at whos going to win it all - the Storm will have to be the bookie's overwhelming favourite.

That said - the Storm face 8 or 9 out for Origin - and that will cost them as much as 6 competition points - have would have to do well to again take out the MP.

Emerging threats are from the Titans - but I still doubt their depth, and ability away from home. Cronulla have a strong team which trouble Melbourne. If they can learn to win games on a consistent basis - they will be there abouts. However, the Roosters must be odds on for a top 4. On paper - they are the strongest team outside the Storm.

That said - its round 9 - anything can happen I know. But this is how it reads on the current state of play. Any team can win it? I doubt it very much.

Latest posts