What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL Media Machine doesn't fool me

Lowdown

Juniors
Didn't they say pretty much the same thing in 2006? There goes your theory on that one.

People have short memories. Yes the Storm won the Minor Premiership (despite no one backing them to do so) - but as they entered the Semi-finals - they were the 4th favourites to win it all. The bulldogs, broncos and dragons all were favourites ahead of the Storm.

Its only when the Bulldogs go knocked out after choking, that the odds on Melbourne improved to slight favourites over the Broncos. But I can tell you - they were never heavy favourites to win it all - at any stage of the season.

Ice777

Bench
I was talking more about the actual GF itself and from memory the majority of people from most outlets expected the Storm to get done and didn't give the Bronco's a huge chance. That's the way i remember it anyway.

adamkungl

Immortal
Though I agree that Melbourne are favourites, I don't think they're the unbeatable force Tommy Smith makes them out to be. There are more sides up there than last year (worst comp in years). But meh, I think that's what happens when you artificially even up a comp with the salary cap. Someone ends up on top, and the rest are average. Positions 2-16 were a sh*tfight last year. Not because there were genuinely good teams that could beat any other on any day of the week. Because they were all sh*t, and couldnt string 3 good games together.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Meh, i'll bring this thread back up when the Storm CRUISE to another Premiership. Last year it was as easy as playing park footy sides to win the comp for them.

This year they MAY have to raise a sweat, especially if they run into the same Chooks side that has dusted them up twice in a row (once when it didnt matter last year when they were about 48 points ahead of everyone else on the table), but that aside i'd still put my house on them doing it again without looking in too much trouble during the finals.

Again.

mongoose

Coach
I dont know if the roosters are in the hunt, beating the raiders away from home 30 - 4 is no great acheivement considering we couldn't beat a park footy team away from home.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Well well well...looks like i was right. I said the Storm would lose two games at most for the rest of the season and so far they've only lost one since i made this thread (not including the origin farce).

They are clear on top of the table despite giving the rest of the comp a 3 game advantage!

It's the Storm > daylight > Manly > a ray of light > the rest who are complete pretenders, that includes Canberra who as spectacular as they are still got smashed by the Storm and would do so again on the biggest day of all if by some miracle they got that far away from Canerra Stadium (see 34-6 smashing to Brisbane, let alone Melbourne).

Storm in a canter. Just give them the trophy now so we can start the cricket season and stop wasting time!

Noa

First Grade
But if you give us the title now then that will rob us of the joy of putting 50 on the dragons in the first week of the finals.

And I know we're all looking forward to that.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm counting on a choke actually. I just can't see them doing it again. Manly couldn't pull it off in the 90s, and we couldn't in 03-04.

In-goal

Bench
Melbourne where robbed by some of the worst ref calls ever in 06, surley the world can't see them being stopped this season?

Latest posts