What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the nrl needs to stand up and fight

Quigs

Immortal
0-top5.jpg

Gas going to Union......... its just a payback for Barry Stumbles crossing to Saint George.

Trevor Cogger

Juniors
I cant believe the attitude ' oh dont worry another superstar will replace them ' for gods sake these players bring money and youngsters to our game lets reimsburse them in kind. I have recently returned from Europe and everywhere you look theres posters or adverts of high profile athletes esp in UK with footballers of all codes. Our premier athletes arent allowed to do this and the entire game suffers as a whole with regards to marketability and simply being in the face of the general public. In any country talented young athletes such as Benji , Minichiello or SBW would in be adverts everywhere but in the NRL they cant as it breaches salary cap rules, this is f**king ridicolous and is suffocating the growth of the game.

Anyway my first post and not my last rant

Quigs

Immortal
0-top5.jpg

QUICK COGGER ON THE PASS - RUN OFF MY HIP - HERE'S ONE FOR YOU
(Pinch it if you want too)

p-cogger.jpg

Quigs

Immortal
Trevor Cogger said:
That he was Quigs and I watched him finish off his career calling the shots at Duffys Rd for the Terrigal Sharks
0-top5.jpg

Whats he up to now days......

Razor

Coach
Alex28 said:
Rather than rewarding the potential traitors and having every player come to the NRL saying "I'm off to Union, give me more money", I suggest the game bans any player that leaves the NRL to play Union from coming back to the fold if they are not a success (I just don't know how this would work with restraint of trade, discrimination and the like is all).

It'll only work if it was the same way as Union when they had their bans. It wasn't a set in stone rule, just the understanding that they could never be brought back in. So if it is implemented, the NRL would just have to tell the clubs to refuse to negotitate with them. Which with the professional structure that League has won't work, because some clubs will violate the agreement.

Alex28

Coach
Razor said:
It'll only work if it was the same way as Union when they had their bans. It wasn't a set in stone rule, just the understanding that they could never be brought back in. So if it is implemented, the NRL would just have to tell the clubs to refuse to negotitate with them. Which with the professional structure that League has won't work, because some clubs will violate the agreement.
The NRL could refuse to register their contracts, however I appreciate the restraint of trade/discrimination legality problems. However the AFL have a draft that hasn't been challenged for it's legality...

My point is that potential traitors need to be told that they choose Union for life and not come back on a massive contract in a few years when they haven't played for the Wallabies - it isn't fair on the loyal players.

Paley

Juniors
Alex28 said:
The NRL could refuse to register their contracts, however I appreciate the restraint of trade/discrimination legality problems. However the AFL have a draft that hasn't been challenged for it's legality...

My point is that potential traitors need to be told that they choose Union for life and not come back on a massive contract in a few years when they haven't played for the Wallabies - it isn't fair on the loyal players.

Banning a player for playing another sport was a dishonourable tactic used by union for 100 years. Proper rugby should never attempt to use such murky tactics, leave those to the dishonourable code

taipan

Referee
Paley said:
Banning a player for playing another sport was a dishonourable tactic used by union for 100 years. Proper rugby should never attempt to use such murky tactics, leave those to the dishonourable code

Agree leave the despicable banning tactics to the historical experts:union.
That being said if Gasnier agrees to go over,he loses SOO and test eligibility.His rep should be given to up and coming rugby stars like the Storm's Greg Inglis.
I can see it all now,a big announcement of Gasnier's switch,a couple of days before the 1st SOO,the usual union trick.

Again I believe the time is ripe, for the NRL to push rugby league into the independent schools, who are union only.

Stuart

Juniors
BuffaloRules said:
I believe that if an NRL club coaxes a big name Union player ( Wallaby, All Black, ), then this players salary should not count towards the salary cap of that club for say the first two years..( or a sliding scale percentage like 20% first year, 40% next year etc...)
This will mean that the clubs with excess cash can spend it, whilst maintaining an overall salary cap, and at the very least, forcing up the amount that the ARU has to pay their star players, the same way that Union forces up the prices of NRL stars..

We shouldn't be panicked into dumping the salary cap though... the Union know that we have a very evenly balanced competition, and if we got rid of the cap, this would be playing into their hands...

I agree, i think the salary cap is important and should be here to stay, but IMO it does need big changes.

I dont think banning players or any of those ideas are healthy, they are a negative way of approaching the problem which in the end wont solve anything in the long term.

What we need IMO is a system which allows us to compete. The idea ive been tossing around recently has been introducing a "soft" NBA style cap.
The idea is simple, there is a salary cap but you are allowed to break it, but any dollar over the cap costs the club double, that is they pay that ammount to the NBA. The NBA (NRL) can then use all the cash to farm into junior development etc, with the rich clubs funding most of it.

The current system seems un-enforcable and oft broken, and with all this talk about possibly losing players to union i think such a cap system could be the answer as it allows the NRL to be competitive, whilst still evening the playing field.

The NRL should at least take a long hard look at some of the salary cap models in US sport, cap models qhich are quite different to our own, with an eye to stealing some of the better ideas.

ng_1981

Juniors
Has the game suffered as a result of losing Tuquiri, Sailor and Rogers? Not one iota IMO, in fact I'd say it gets better each year. I think the main reason it's getting better is because the salary cap has spread the talent very evenly and most teams are now competative which makes for great rugby league! I do think the salary cap needs to be tweaked to better reward long standing players but it has created an awesome competition!

Union are really shooting themselves in the foot by offering large sums of money to rugby league players and I do think now is the time for league to start targetting union juniors particularly pushing it into schools. If union are going to continually look outside their own codes' ranks for players, kids might start questioning whether union is the best path for them...you can just as easily get a Wallabies jersey by starting out in league!

Latest posts