What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

undertaker

Coach
I know this is probably not as big of a deal as the TV rights, as the TV rights are worth a lot more in value. However, this is something that has got me thinking ever since I remember hearing the whole Graeme Hughes-David Gallop interview back in 2006 after the current 2007-2012 tv rights deal was finalised.

I still think it's a big travesty that we have this whole 'exclusivity' crap, not just with the tv rights, but also with the radio rights. It is of my understanding that during the 2008 RLWC, 2UE (I think it was) was willing to offer money to broadcast some matches, yet they were shafted. It is believed that the offers of other stations during the 2006 radio rights deal were shafted, and Graeme Hughes said they were not even approached when the renewal came up in 2009 (since radio rights are 3 years)

Now, I cannot stand the 2GB continuous call team and their egos. Each their own opinion. However, irrespective of whether or not you like the 2GB, I think it's an absolute shame that the AFL are in a situation where all 8 matches of theirs are broadcasted live on radio (they even have an AFL station, SEN in Melbourne), yet we have all these blackouts in our schedule which makes it impossible for those without Foxtel to get access to. It is ludicrous that 2GB literally paid to stop other AM stations broadcasting Monday Night Football so that only Triple M (only available in the cities) could get access to it, yet they themselves wouldn't cover it. I can't think of any other sporting organisation that would do something like that. It just makes the NRL (as an organisation) look like 'Amateur hour rubbish' (to use an HG Nelson expression).

Hopefully, when the radio rights get negotiated under the new independent commission , this is something that has to change. I'm pretty sure the current 3 yr radio rights contract expires at the end of this year (since it began in 2009).

I'd like to hear your thoughts and feedback on this issue.

Last edited:

Redback71

First Grade
I live near tweed heads and cant even pick up Monday footy on radio. The triple M signal cuts off near Robina. So that's a lot of people that cannot listen over the radio.

undertaker

Coach
I live near tweed heads and cant even pick up Monday footy on radio. The triple M signal cuts off near Robina. So that's a lot of people that cannot listen over the radio.

Really? I wasn't sure where the Triple M signal cuts off at around that area.

The bottom line is, I could never imagine Andrew Demetriou ever agreeing to an arrangement such as the one the NRL has. He would never tolerate a situation where even if you lived in Sydney or Brisbane, 4 games a week (delayed Friday 7:30pm game, both Saturday 7:30pm games, and one Sunday game) are blacked out on commercial radio, not to mention the 'graveyard' timeslots people outside of NSW and QLD get to see FTA games on. Now, that's just for the people who live in the CITIES, that supposedly get the best deal of the lot. I can't imagine what it must be like for those who live in the regional/country areas.

Another thing that got me thinking as well as the huge flogging/promotion of the Swans/Bombers game last week in Sydney. The Melbourne Storm would die to have 10% the amount of promotion the Swans get in Sydney. I guess the thing that got Ch9 pissed off at was broadcasting that Rd 1 2007 Storm/Tigers Friday Night game live into Melbourne. I remember it got nearly 300,000 viewers in Melbourne, and ever since then, from my memory, only two non-finals Storm matches have been broadcasted live (one vs Broncos in Brisbane, and the other was last year, also against Brisbane (first ever game at AAMI Park, shortly after the salary cap scandal). In the years before, Ch9 may have been able to hide behind the excuse that the Storm WOULD never rate on FTA, but ever since that match over 4 yrs ago, that has been proved to be a load of crap and Ch9 have nowhere to run or hide but to face this fact.

I'll be interested to see if this years ANZAC Test match gets broadcasted live in to Melbourne, like it was last year. Last year it got very high ratings, even up against the Friday Night AFL match.

Last edited:

jonno_knights

Juniors
You can listen to all the broadcasts over the internet. Just go to the NRL.com scoreboard and go to the audio section, and stream away.

Dont know too much about the radio side of things, but I seem to pick most the games on ABC Grandstand. Not sure the all the areas they broadcast into though. 666AM in Canberra, 1233AM in Newcastle, 702AM in Sydney, 97.3FM in Wollongong.

Ive got a feeling they only have rights to SAT/SUN Games though.

I know this is probably not as big of a deal as the TV rights, as the TV rights are worth a lot more in value. However, this is something that has got me thinking ever since I remember hearing the whole Graeme Hughes-David Gallop interview back in 2006 after the current 2007-2012 tv rights deal was finalised.

I still think it's a big travesty that we have this whole 'exclusivity' crap, not just with the tv rights, but also with the radio rights. It is of my understanding that during the 2008 RLWC, 2UE (I think it was) was willing to offer money to broadcast some matches, yet they were shafted. It is believed that the offers of other stations during the 2006 radio rights deal were shafted, and Graeme Hughes said they were not even approached when the renewal came up in 2009 (since radio rights are 3 years)

Now, I cannot stand the 2GB continuous call team and their egos. Each their own opinion. However, I think it's an absolute shame that the AFL are in a situation where all 8 matches of theirs are broadcasted live on radio (they even have an AFL station, SEN in Melbourne), yet we have all these blackouts in our schedule which makes it impossible for those without Foxtel to get access to. It is ludicrous that 2GB literally paid to stop other AM stations broadcasting Monday Night Football so that only Triple M (only available in the cities) could get access to it, yet they themselves wouldn't cover it. I can't think of any other sporting organisation that would do something like that. It just makes the NRL (as an organisation) look like 'Amateur hour rubbish'.

Hopefully, when the radio rights get negotiated under the new independent commission (in 2012, the same year the tv rights expire), this is something that has to change.

I'd like to hear your thoughts and feedback on this issue.

My thoughts too Undertaker.
The Continuous (Crap) Talk Team sh*te me big time. They're a pack of self absorbed morons who laugh at their own jokes and who think they're actually funny. Hadley has never had my patronage and never will.
If they want to be the exclusive AM broadcasters then give the listeners more league and less "entertainment".

I encourage other disgruntled fans like myself & the Undertaker to express your concerns to the NRL in writing. Hopefully the penny will drop and we listeners will once again have free choice.

otori

Juniors
I enjoy the KOFM broadcasts of knights games but they don't have a non-Flash player so I can't listen on my phone if I'm in the car or outside. It'd be nice to have a reliable radio service so I could tune in to more knights games.

IanG

Coach
Also ABC do broadcast the Friday night game. Also lucky here that KO-FM take the Triple M Monday Night Games. ABC only do Monday Night games for local audiences. Seems non Sydney but they can be listened to on the net as well

Patorick

Staff member
ABC should be allowed to do the 2nd Friday night game, after the first one's over.

And Monday night.

Every week people complain about it and there's nothing they can do.

Surely this will change soon, make it happen IC.

Red Bear

Referee
ABC Grandstand FTW

In Wollongong every Dragons game gets broadcast, regardless of whether it is the lead game of the day (saturday or sunday matches), except possibly Friday night if they are the 9:30 game in NSW

RL1908

Bench
Does ABC News Radio still do AFL in NSW & QLD? Just went to their website & found ...

Scoreboard Pressure is our new web-only AFL analysis show.
Each week, Cameron Green and guests look back at the weekend just past, the games to come and some light-hearted discussion of the code.
Fast, Frenetic, Fun and Full of Fire - just like our national game
http://www.abc.net.au/newsradio/default.htm

gUt

Coach
Local radio does Saturday afternoon.

AFL is on NewsRadio on Saturday nights while the league/union is on Local radio.

Meanwhile I think Storm games don't get any ABC radio coverage in Melbourne, even when there's no fumbling going on.

IanG

Coach
Yeah bit of a pain in the bum with the ABC when they decide to broadcast the Rah Rahs

Mind you you can still get it on the net.

Also when will Digital Radio be expanded beyond Capital Cities?

Its the NRL's loss at the end of the day - the AFL got it right. Every game is covered on one station at least.

The ABC do a good job (covering 2 games on Saturday and sometimes 2 on the Sunday) but they often cover the same game as the other station, or they cover rugby.

2GB - the less said about them the better.

Not everyone has access to the net when the games are on, hence that is why radio is so important.

Parra

Referee
Anyone who wants should be able to broadcast a description of the games on radio/internet.

It is not that long ago that all games were covered, many by multiple stations.

franklin2323

Immortal
I enjoy the KOFM broadcasts of knights games but they don't have a non-Flash player so I can't listen on my phone if I'm in the car or outside. It'd be nice to have a reliable radio service so I could tune in to more knights games.

The problem with net coverage is you can't get it when your out. Every game needs radio coverage, net & tv

Latest posts