What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

It's popular with the non-RL crowd because it's virtually a non-RL show that drags in a lot of Ray's weekly listeners.

2GB can do what they like; it's the NRL who deserve a kick up the arse for giving this crap commercial exclusivity to the point where other netowrks can't even promote the game during the week with a function that 2GB couldn't be stuffed doing themselves. It's a hopeless situation.

If the NRL want more "listeners" then they might as well give the rights to Kyle and Jackie O next time. They won't talk footy, but at least the ratings will be good.

Spot on.

It's popular with the non-RL crowd because it's virtually a non-RL show that drags in a lot of Ray's weekly listeners.

2GB can do what they like; it's the NRL who deserve a kick up the arse for giving this crap commercial exclusivity to the point where other netowrks can't even promote the game during the week with a function that 2GB couldn't be stuffed doing themselves. It's a hopeless situation.

If the NRL want more "listeners" then they might as well give the rights to Kyle and Jackie O next time. They won't talk footy, but at least the ratings will be good.

Spot on.

In saying that, I am sure the ABC actually get more listeners than thier figures suggest. The ratings are questionable - the AFL show that 2GB runs on a Saturday morning got a share of 13.2% - there is no way in the world that many people listen to it (there are not that many people who care about AFL).

Brutus

Referee
Spot on.

In saying that, I am sure the ABC actually get more listeners than thier figures suggest. The ratings are questionable - the AFL show that 2GB runs on a Saturday morning got a share of 13.2% - there is no way in the world that many people listen to it (there are not that many people who care about AFL).

If it was a RL talk show leading into the CC team it probably would've rated 20 percent.

2GB is the leading station and most of their listeners have the dial rusted on.

Mr Twig

Outside of the game calls, of which they do the bare minimum, they do absolutely nothing.

There are no other footy promotions on the station whatsoever.

So it looks like if you get commercial rights, you get commercial everything.

What an absolute joke.
It's not 2GBs responsibility to promote the game.

Brutus

Referee
It's not 2GBs responsibility to promote the game.

Obviously not.

It's not even their responsibility to call the games at times it seems.

Maybe this should be taken into consideration the next time the radio deals are done.

Outside of the game calls, of which they do the bare minimum, they do absolutely nothing.

There are no other footy promotions on the station whatsoever.

So it looks like if you get commercial rights, you get commercial everything.

What an absolute joke.

I doubt this would happen in any other sport in the world.

I doubt this would happen in any other sport in the world.

Well every other sport in the world manages to schedule all thier games for the entire season 12 months out (include complex sports across multiple competitions like the soccer) and yet the NRL can only make up thier mind 6 weeks out to satisfy the TV stations.............so the NRL is just continuing thier stupidity and giving other sports a free kick.

Green Machine

First Grade
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/the-fitz-files-20110514-1en2d.html

I hear that my former colleague at 2UE Steve Price is under growing pressure to hold his spot as breakfast announcer and program director at Melbourne's MTR talkback station. After struggling to make any impact in Breakfast, Mornings and Drive at 2UE over the eight years he was here, Price returned to Melbourne a few years ago to take up those roles at John Singleton's new station but, unfortunately, it has not gone well for him.
In Sydney, Singleton's 2GB has turned into a juggernaut – crushing 2UE's ill-conceived attempt to turn itself into a 2GB right-wing-nutter mini-me – as MTR as a whole has descended to a death-at-the-box-office 1.8 in the ratings. In the Breakfast shift Price is stranded on a lost and lonely 2.2, at the very ankles of his competitors at 3AW, who are on 20.6. One way or t'other, it cannot last.

Does anyone know how 2UE is rating since the new shockjocks have arrived?​

Does anyone know how 2UE is rating since the new shockjocks have arrived?

They are doing alright. Small increases overall in the first two surveys considering how big the change was, many experts thought they would go backwards. They are not losing listeners and thier strategy was a long term one. If they make any changes, they will do it at the end of the year.

The 6-9pm has had mixed results but bringing back Sports Today won't fix it. Brandy is pretty busy with his Fox commitments and the Panthers is fairly busy too. Gibbsy is working each mornings 7 days a week now. I personally think they are probably happy with the current arrangement, particularly if they get paid the same amount. They would look at bringing them back if there is a chance of getting the league rights and I doubt tehy will bother, given how much it would cost and the way the NRL has treated them and stations like 2SM over the past couple of years.

As for Price, he might go back to 3AW depending on what happens with Hinch - depends how many bridges he burned but it doesn't seem that bad from the outside. The sad thing about MTR is the whole station is rubbish - dumping Price won't solve any problems.

2UE need RL on their station to get a much-needed lift :)

They really could do with saturday night actually, possibly sunday night if that becomes a timeslot.

The weekends on 2ue during the day actually rate very well thanks to george moore & paul b. Kidd. However their night ratings on the weekend are ordinary , hopefully they see the NRL as a way to change that.

Interestingly aswell fairfax have put 2ue up for sale today ( aswell as their other stations) there is some talk singleton could be a buyer because he wants 3AW. He would need to sell 2CH but it wouldnt be good for rugby league if he got it.

Sunday night would be the ideal time - 6-8pm, wrap up of all the action etc. It would probably be the best time for both Brandy and Gibbsy, without too much preperation.

IanG

Coach
When Triple M first got the rights to Monday Night Football I thought that it wouldn't get heard outside of Sydney. Thankfully KO-FM takes their call on Monday Nights. Though I have heard that there is alot of Rugby League heartland that misses out cause the ABC aren't able to broadcast it unless a local team is playing eg Wollongong, Newcastle.

Brutus

Referee
When Triple M first got the rights to Monday Night Football I thought that it wouldn't get heard outside of Sydney. Thankfully KO-FM takes their call on Monday Nights. Though I have heard that there is alot of Rugby League heartland that misses out cause the ABC aren't able to broadcast it unless a local team is playing eg Wollongong, Newcastle.

What imbeciles the NRL are for allowing this to happen.

Aww but it's a balancing act!

IanG

Coach
What imbeciles the NRL are for allowing this to happen.

Aww but it's a balancing act!

Yeah that's the rhetoric that Gallop always comes out with. Hence why the game has gone backwards under his regime

Not to mention that he’s so good at grandstanding he should’ve been standing for state parliament

Rexxy

Coach
2UE need RL on their station to get a much-needed lift :)

2GB will end up owning 2UE and 3AW.

Fairfax Media has announced that it intends to start a formal sale process for its metropolitan and regional radio assets, including Sydney's 2UE, Melbourne's 3AW/Magic 1278, Brisbane's 4BC/4BH and Perth's 6PR. Analysts value the radio network around $250 million.

www.jocksjournal.com