What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

Brutus

Referee
Another one of Gallop's great 'deals'. I think Moffo started it off back in 2000 and the great leader of our time kept the ball rolling.

I agree with everthing the OP has said on this issue.

The days of exclusive radio deals must come to an end.

IanG

Coach
Yeah including the delayed game on Friday Night. Been the odd occassion where I am at the ground and can't listen to a radio call

Brutus

Referee
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/eagles-relying-on-brotherly-love/story-e6freye0-1226047628388

Rant and Rave

APART from the new television deal, the independent commission needs to look closely at radio contracts to ensure the game gets better exposure to lots of fans who have no other way of staying in touch.

When the Bulldogs played the Rabbitohs in traditionally one of the biggest games of the season, last Saturday night, not one radio station covered the game.

It's simply not good enough when you consider only 30 per cent of households have access to pay television. 2GB never broadcasts the 7.30pm Saturday games and the ABC chose to cover the Waratahs v Reds rugby match ahead of the Bulldogs-Rabbitohs.

This is not a criticism of 2GB, who have done a good job to open the game up to a whole new audience with their madcap weekend shows. But in the AFL, Triple M, 3AW, SEN and the ABC ensure every club, every game, every round gets a guernsey every week.

In the good old days when Frank Hyde, Col Pearce, Tiger Black, John O'Reilly and Allan Marks called the footy (yes, I'm a dinosaur), four Sydney stations ensured every game was covered.

And that's the way it should be, particularly now it's an acceptable practice to save costs by calling out-of-town matches off the television. The next radio contract is up for renewal in 2012.

beave

Coach
agreed, the radio rights should be given to any station that is willing to call the game and pay the do$h.

This exclusive bullshit is hampering the games growth.

Brutus

Referee
We need as many radio stations on the RL bandwagon as possible. And that means 7 days a week, not just on weekends. Promotion during the week, leading up to the games is also very important.

I listen to 2SM on Saturdays now and all I hear is AFL talk. I think there's even an AFL show on the exclusive NRL commercial broadcaster as well. That should not be happening.

Brutus

Referee
4BC once upon a time was known as "the rugby league station" in Brisbane.

This Saturday they will air 6 hours of that Weekend Detention stuff (no game call of course). Then when it comes time to actually call some action they revert to normal programming. Nevermind the fact that the game they could call is the Broncos v Storm from Suncorp Stadium.

What a disgrace rugby league on the radio is.

As long as people watch it on Fox Sports hey News Ltd???!!!

Last edited:
Don't blame the ABC for covering the rugby - it is their choice. But when there is only one other station and they don't cover anything after 7:30pm on a Saturday..........

Gallop really needs to give as many stations a chance to cover the game. As that article says, the AFL manages to get as many stations covering games and spreads the coverage so that everyone can listen to the game they want to.

But I will say it again - the exclusive rights is a disgrace and does nothing to promote the game. The sooner the NRL wakes up to that fact, the better.

Things have improved slightly with the ABC this season.

Im pretty sure the waratahs v reds game is the only S15 game they have aired in front of the NRL in sydney.

Last weekend for instance the waratahs v rebels game was only available online.

In years gone past they have always broadcast all local super union games.

Brutus

Referee
But I will say it again - the exclusive rights is a disgrace and does nothing to promote the game. The sooner the NRL wakes up to that fact, the better.

Deep down, the NRL knows it's a disgrace.

This Saturday night in Brisbane the only AM commercial station that calls rugby league (4BC) is not even broadcasting the Broncos' game.

But they'll take 6 hours of that weekend detention rubbish beforehand.

The NRL must ensure there are know footy radio blackouts in the future.

It's the same deal for Sydney this Saturday. I'll bet the ABC call the Waratahs game. That will mean no radio coverage in Sydney of the NRL game this Saturday night.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Gee this radio rights situation is pathetic.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...move-for-moltzen/story-e6frfgbo-1226055036890

GRAEME Hughes' Talkin' Sport has been forced to abort next Tuesday's broadcast from Danny's seafood restaurant in La Perouse, which was to feature all the players from the NSW Origin team.

All week Hughes has pumped up the big afternoon and pre-sold tables for some excited listeners.

So it's a shame rival network 2GB are reportedly peeved and, because they're the official commercial rights holder, ordered Danny's and 2SM to dump the Blues get-together.

To say Hughes and 2SM were disappointed is an understatement. They've got every right to blow up. Danny's has vowed to honour all pre-sold tables.

seanoff

Juniors
holy shit that's ridiculous. they can't cover a non-game event :shock::shock:

had a peek at the radio feeds for tonight.

6 stations covering the AFL including the ABC +news radio in NSW and QLD, MMM, National indigenous radio, SEN, KROCK, and 3AW. they are covering a lot of ground there esp with NIR and the ABC

2 covering the NRL. 2GB and ABC.

stark difference.

Brutus

Referee
2GB do f**k all for the game.The sooner these morons are put out to pasture the better the game will be.

Outside of the game calls, of which they do the bare minimum, they do absolutely nothing.

There are no other footy promotions on the station whatsoever.

So it looks like if you get commercial rights, you get commercial everything.

What an absolute joke.

Bereft Skerrick

Juniors
Until people vote with their "remote" i.e. stop listening to the crapulous 2GB coverage, they'll continue with the rubbish. Because it's "popular". They win the ratings so it justifies the continuation of their "wacky shenanigans". And then they boast about winning the ratings. Why change something that's bringing in the advertisers and converting to listeners.

I live on the South Coast and prefer listening to the ABC coverage hands down. The only time I can cope with 2GB/Network station 2ST's coverage is when that fool Hadley isn't there. Fortunately that's the only time we get 2GB networked to us, and I can tell you promotion of the game on 2ST is quite good, promos all the time, and regular spots with Jamie Soward on the breakfast programme.

Similar to that note, (and slightly off topic, although it does have to do with rights) I'm making a conscious effort to watch the OneHD NRL offerings on a Monday & Thursday nights. I'm even willing to put up with Ricky Stuart on my TV as a consequence.

Brutus

Referee
Until people vote with their "remote" i.e. stop listening to the crapulous 2GB coverage, they'll continue with the rubbish. Because it's "popular". They win the ratings so it justifies the continuation of their "wacky shenanigans". And then they boast about winning the ratings. Why change something that's bringing in the advertisers and converting to listeners.

It's popular with the non-RL crowd because it's virtually a non-RL show that drags in a lot of Ray's weekly listeners.

2GB can do what they like; it's the NRL who deserve a kick up the arse for giving this crap commercial exclusivity to the point where other netowrks can't even promote the game during the week with a function that 2GB couldn't be stuffed doing themselves. It's a hopeless situation.

If the NRL want more "listeners" then they might as well give the rights to Kyle and Jackie O next time. They won't talk footy, but at least the ratings will be good.

Last edited: